PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new carseat, please

mikeys_mom
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
One of the MA's that my 3yo twins are in FF expires in October so I'm trying to figure out how to move around seats and look for a good deal on whatever I need to buy. Other than the 1 expiring MA, my other seats all have a good few years left in them before they expire. Can't remember exact DOM.

Current setup in my 7-seater Sienna (main car)

3rd row of the minivan
DS - 7.5yo, 60lbs in a Monteray
DD1 - 5yo, 42ish lbs harnessed in a FR80

2nd row captain's chairs
3yo twins - 33ish lbs - FFing in MA's

My initial thought is to give DD1's FR to one of the twins and figure out a new seat for DD1. I think by October she will be ok moving to a booster. She'll be close to 6yo and is pretty compliant with rules. We do take long trips a few times a year and she will sleep in the car so I'd like something with good support for that. What would be my best option? Parkway? Another Monteray? Something else?

I am assuming that I should keep DS in a HBB for now. If I can move him to a LBB then DD1 can get his Monteray. What is the current recommendation for HBB vs LBB at his age?

I also have a Maestro that we keep in DH's car (Nissan Altima) harnessed for either DD1 or one of the twins. Should I consider making this DD1's main seat in the Sienna as a HBB? We don't need to have a dedicated seat in DH's car, especially once we move her to a booster.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that I'm in Canada.

What do all the carseat experts think? Thanks so much!

mikeys_mom
03-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Bump...any suggestions?

Joolsplus2
03-20-2012, 11:54 AM
7 in a safe car (with curtain airbags for head protection) without car sleeping, you could probably go to a NBB. What do you guys have up there? Evenflo Amp is nice for bigger kids, Harmony has nice choices. If you want to go HBB, another Monterey is probably a good idea...you know it, you like it (?)... if you hate it, try a Parkway, lol. Heck, something else totally awesome might be out by October, too (not totally likely in Canada, I think you just got all your new products this year, but it's worth a little hoping :))

mikeys_mom
03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
7 in a safe car (with curtain airbags for head protection) without car sleeping, you could probably go to a NBB. What do you guys have up there? Evenflo Amp is nice for bigger kids, Harmony has nice choices. If you want to go HBB, another Monterey is probably a good idea...you know it, you like it (?)... if you hate it, try a Parkway, lol. Heck, something else totally awesome might be out by October, too (not totally likely in Canada, I think you just got all your new products this year, but it's worth a little hoping :))

So, assuming he doesn't sleep in the car anymore (will need to pay close attention on our next road trip), is he just as safe in a NBB and there is really no added safety in keeping him in the Monteray?
If that's the case, then it makes the car-seat switchero very easy and inexpensive (woohoo!). DS gets a new NBB, DD1 gets the Monteray, one twin in the FR and one in the MA. DS will be thrilled to get rid of the headwings and DH will be happy I don't want to spend a lot of $ on a new seat.

Both the Evenflo Amp and Harmony are available here.

In terms of the HBB, I like the Monteray because it fits him really nicely. The big con to it is that it is an enormous, heavy beast. We rarely move it but when we have to, it's a pain. I bought it right around the time Britax was switching the Parkway models. Old ones were out of stock and new ones weren't in yet. Monterays were on sale and new PW's were going to be more
expensive so it was an easy decision. If I had to buy a HBB today, with price and fit being equal, I'd probably go with the Parkway just because it's lighter.

I've already asked at our local baby store about new products and they don't expect much other than new patterns and colours. I was just hoping to be prepared when stuff starts to go on sale.