PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a seat

TwoBees
03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
I need some help finding a seat (or deciding whether to buy one at all). Here's my issue:

I may be traveling alone with DD by train (Amtrak) in two weeks to visit my parents. We usually drive but this is a bit of a unique situation this time. My parents do not own a carseat for DD because either they drive to us (and we put the seat in their car) or we drive to them. I am trying to avoid taking one of our seats along for this trip because I'm not sure I can handle DD, a stroller, luggage, and a carseat on the train by myself (there's no checked luggage). I really don't want to ask my parents to spend ~$175 to buy a RA 55, which is what DD rides in at home. However, I'm uneasy about them buying a different seat because I will have to install it in the car at the train station when they come to pick us up, and I have never installed a different convertible seat. And I won't have any time to practice and fiddle with the harness height, etc. With the RA 55, I know what I am doing.

So...any suggestions for a super-easy install seat with easy adjustments that is under $100? DD is almost 2.5 yrs and barely 20 lbs. Or, should I just figure out a way to travel with the RA55?

Joolsplus2
03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Do you have a BRU or other store where you could take the seat out to the car and learn to install it? Then buy one online and have it shipped to your folks'? Or just toss the RA in some kind of awesome protective travel bag with wheels and have some nice porter help you with your luggage :love-retry:

TwoBees
03-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Do you have a BRU or other store where you could take the seat out to the car and learn to install it?

I didn't think of that. What seat would you recommend then? One of the Evenflos?

Joolsplus2
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Triumph or Symphony (becomes a great booster, not sure if it's cheaper to get this or two seats, in the long run, though)... http://www.albeebaby.com/evenflo-sale-items1.html

But darn how they are more expensive than they used to be!

TwoBees
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Triumph or Symphony (becomes a great booster, not sure if it's cheaper to get this or two seats, in the long run, though)... http://www.albeebaby.com/evenflo-sale-items1.html

But darn how they are more expensive than they used to be!

Hmm. I was looking at the Titan. Trying to keep in under $100.

Joolsplus2
03-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, skip the Titan, go with the Tribute. It's got lower weight limits but lasts a lot longer than the Titan (mystery seat, shorter measurements, fits kids longer...well, the human body is mostly liquid, right? So we shape to our containers? The Titan has a smaller butt area, it makes kids taller faster or something, like a toothpaste tube squeezed from the bottom, hehe)

TwoBees
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
This one?

This would be super easy to get (I can buy it and my parents can pick it up locally)

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11468534

Joolsplus2
03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Yes, that one. But I really want you to be cool about how totally different it's going to feel from the RA. Like... a plastic yogurt cup compared to a solid coffee mug ;) (The Triumph is a lot sturdier feeling, more like the RA, and it will last longer with the taller straps, I was just hoping we'd find it on sale somewhere for $99. Sigh.)

TwoBees
03-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Yes, that one. But I really want you to be cool about how totally different it's going to feel from the RA. Like... a plastic yogurt cup compared to a solid coffee mug ;) (The Triumph is a lot sturdier feeling, more like the RA, and it will last longer with the taller straps, I was just hoping we'd find it on sale somewhere for $99. Sigh.)

I'll go check it out first. Thanks for all the input!