PDA

View Full Version : Overdue!

luli13
03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I am 40+2 weeks with DC2. I went 40+6 with DC1. Just scheduled my induction for next week so there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am still feeling a little depressed and anxious that I am walking around 4cm dilated, having contractions on a very wacky/inconsistent schedule, and I have friends/family texting and calling continuously wondering where this baby is. I am slightly agitated to tell you the truth. I can't MAKE him come out!

Please share stories and positive words on going into labor late. :)

123LuckyMom
03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I sooooo sympathize! I'm in my 41st week and just caught a really nasty cold from my preschool aged DS. That slowed everything up, and now I'm pretty sure I'll be stalled until I've recovered a bit from this cold. I'm also pretty sure my unborn DD is about 10 lbs., so I'm a tad concerned about birthing her. I hope your labor kicks in RIGHT NOW, but if not, best of luck with your induction. I'll be sending lots of P & PTs your way!

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Right around 42 weeks with both kids here!! I was in no rush though, to be honest. Babies are a log of work and I was feeling really great!
I had my membranes swept both times. With ds1, labor started 72 hours later. But, with ds2, labor started 3 hours later (rumor is that that midwife had an excellent track record with it :)).
GL!!!

essnce629
03-20-2012, 04:31 PM
If you really want him to come out, PM me for my castor oil regimen. 100% success rate so far (13 out of 13 I think now) and no side effects like diarrhea, nausea, etc if you follow the directions. Has worked for everyone who's tried it (including myself) from 38 weeks and on. :)

marit
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Don't answer the phone to those annoying people. Instead go get a goof massage. It might not induce later, but it will be fun.

GL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ast96
03-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Refer your friends to www.haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com.

citymama
03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Positive words: overcooked babies really benefit from the extra time in utero! I was told this when I was 40 weeks plus 8 days and ready to kill someone, by a guy at a local pizza place whose kid was a Rhodes scholar, and she had been 2 weeks late. Well, my DD1 was 11 days late and man, I think he was right! She was tiny (under 6 lbs) despite the extra time, so clearly she needed it to grow. And she was in such a hurry to grow up - started smiling, rolling over, talking and walking super early, very precocious, and that has continued to this day (she just turned 6!).

I used every trick in the book to get labor started and the final trick was membrane sweeping by my midwife at 41.5 weeks. Good luck, and don't despair! Two days is early early and barely overdue. Your baby is worth the wait!

ETA Oh, and those friends and relatives are really annoying. Next time tell them you are using the extra time to schedule post-baby meal deliveries - and restaurant gcs are welcome too!

marit
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Foot not goof. Damn autocorrect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mctlaw
03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
You're almost there! Hang in there a little while longer! Best wishes :)

luli13
03-20-2012, 05:21 PM

HILARIOUS! I needed that laugh, thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I know 40+2 isn't long, but I have an anxious DH who is driving me nuts, nearest family is 2 hours away to come watch DC1 (though I have a good friend and a neighbor lined up in case of an emergency) and I these damn random contractions that lead to nothing... I AM sleeping really well, though, and I feel pretty good overall. I also recently "remembered" what labor feels like and the anticipation is killing me ;)

123LuckyMom
03-20-2012, 05:22 PM

:bighand: Love it!!!!

luli13
03-20-2012, 05:24 PM
If you really want him to come out, PM me for my castor oil regimen. 100% success rate so far (13 out of 13 I think now) and no side effects like diarrhea, nausea, etc if you follow the directions. Has worked for everyone who's tried it from 38 weeks and on. :)

Tempting... veeeery tempting.... I'll keep you in mind :wink2: Thanks for the offer.

I was at the OB today but didn't ask or discuss the membrane sweeping.

kellij
03-20-2012, 11:11 PM
There was apparently a Harvard study that showed that the average first time mom delivers at 41 weeks 1 day, so that 40 week stuff is off. I just wish they would call it a "guess date," or say you're due toward the end of March, or whatever, rather than a specific date; it messes with your head!

kellij
03-20-2012, 11:12 PM
If you really want him to come out, PM me for my castor oil regimen. 100% success rate so far (13 out of 13 I think now) and no side effects like diarrhea, nausea, etc if you follow the directions. Has worked for everyone who's tried it (including myself) from 38 weeks and on. :)

What?! This freaks me out, 13 out of 13! I'm sending you a pm right now!

Katigre
03-20-2012, 11:53 PM
((((((hugs)))))) A few thoughts might help...

1. 40 weeks is an estimation - a better way to say it might be 'due date range' that covers the 4 weeks from 38-42 weeks. Every woman has a slightly different gestational length - I know one women who delivered ALL of her children at 42 weeks and the same went for her sister, her mother, etc... - they weren't really due at 40 weeks, their bodies bake babies until 42 weeks. Conversely, another lady I know had all three kids come at about 38 weeks - those babies weren't 'early', it just means her body has a different gestational length.

I really REALLY hate the concept of a 'due date' b/c it sets women up to fret emotionally and get worn down physically - I personally refuse to tell people mya ctual due date and give them a 2 week range instead to avoid this issue ;).

Just like each woman has a slightly different cycle length (average 28 days, typical range is 26-35 days) the SAME thing goes for having babies :).

daisymommy
03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: To what Katigre said! It's not like a UPS guaranteed delivery date or something! But that is what we have been taught to believe. It just sets us all up for frustration and worry.

Jenn850
03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Hang in there!! DS was two weeks late and perfect. I always say no matter how uncomfortable, it is easier to take care of the baby inside than out;)

Indianamom2
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Both of my kids were late. DD was just about 42 weeks. She was scheduled to be induced the next day, but I went into labor on my own. 12 very easy hours later, 9 of which were spent at home, DD was born just perfect without the aid of an epidural. It truly was a very easy and good labor and delivery.

Ds was about 10 days overdue. He was induced. That wasn't any fun, and 16 hours into the 18 hour labor, I finally gave in and got the epidural. The delivery was easier and Ds was perfect.

Both kids were about 7 lbs. 12 oz.

Hang in there...inductions can be kind of rough and while being overdue is no fun, you're already 4 cm and having contractions, which is world's ahead of where I was at 40 wks. 2 days with either kid.

mom3boys
03-22-2012, 11:42 AM
My SIL just had her 2nd DC at 41 weeks+3 days on Tuesday, first DC was at 41 weeks. Both 9 lbs! (For her DS1 and my DS2, I was due 19 days after her. I had my baby 8 days before she had hers). I never made it past 38.5 weeks (and that was with #3). As much as I was happy not to have a couple extra weeks of pregnancy, SIL's babies just looked so much "older", more alert and chubbier compared to my skinny, red little guys!

If you do end up getting induced I would not let everyone on FB (or whatever) know it's happening. My SIL went in Sunday night to begin induction and ALL DAY Monday was getting FB posts, texts etc. asking about the baby (we did not know the sex either, so people really wanted to know). However the induction did not "take" well Monday and she didn't have the baby until Tuesday afternoon (basically induced again early Tuesday after dilating all of 2cm on Monday). It must have been so annoying for her to have to deal with all those crazy people (including um, me) asking about whether the baby was here yet!!

Good luck!