PDA

View Full Version : Guesses welcome! How long since...

MamaInMarch
03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
You've seen one of these???? I about fell over when I saw this listing on Craigslist. And they want $20! Anyone care to field a guess as to just how old this seat actually is?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/bab/2913672927.html

Kymberley
03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
About a month ago. In a car. Being used.

HIU8
03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
That looks like a cosco scenera with the overhead shield (I think it wasn't even called scenera then either). My friend had one for her now 7 yr old (and she got it new when he was about 2).

MamaInMarch
03-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Seriously? Five years ago? I haven't seen one with an overhead thing in probably over 10 years. This one looks pretty rough - yikes!!

hellokitty
03-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately, I see these quite often in my area. I see ones that are even scarier than that one (like over 20 yrs old). I always wonder when the exp date was for those.

jerigirl
03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I think that is a Cosco Touriva. I saw 2 being used last school year at DS1's preschool. I think I asked on here when did they stop making them and is there anyway they aren't expired. Jools seemed to think that they could still be within acceptable date ranges. (then.)

MamaInMarch
03-21-2012, 11:06 PM
I looked around a little to see and it does look like as best as I can tell that even around 2002 Dorel was making an overhead shield seat. Scary!!! When I searched the name Grand Explorer and the Touriva, the warnings and lawsuits outweighed any other search result. Makes my heart ache for the kids in those.

mom2khj
03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
It looks like the seat the lady who babysat me used for her son when he was a toddler. He'll turn 30 this year (good lord that makes me feel so old)!

KrisM
03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
I bought a Touriva in late 2004 (5-point) and I know the over head shield version was still around then. They'd be expired now of course, but maybe some aren't?

mom2binsd
03-21-2012, 11:18 PM
I believe they were made until about 2008, so not some are not expired/hard to say if that one's actually expired without the DOM.

AshleyAnn
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM
This is actually the last OHS seat made - cosco scenera. Sold until 2007 or 2008 at walmart for $10 more than the safer 5 pnt version.:-(

I rescued a OHS Tourvia from a neighbors yardsale that was made in 2005 so it expired less than 3 months ago (but I destroyed it...with an axe. Good times.)

Thatchermom
03-22-2012, 12:48 AM
About a month ago. In a car. Being used.

Hey - at least it was IN a car. The last one I saw (maybe 3-5 days ago) was TIED IN TO THE BED OF A TRUCK. Rearfacing, against the cab. At least it wasn't also raining. Around here they probably are given a hard time for actually using a seat at all, most of my neighbors do not. Yes, I do live in a lovely area full of parents highly educated in child safety, why do you ask? NOT.

I briefly debated taking a picture of it, thinking about just this kind of a post. And no, I didn't bother calling. Police around here don't really do much about it, sadly.

Joolsplus2
03-22-2012, 07:31 AM
I was at the Lifesavers safety conference a couple years ago (maybe more than a couple, but hmmm...maybe 2004?) and the Dorel rep was going on and on about how much safer this awesome new version was and how popular it would be and blah blah blah. He knew I didn't believe him, lol.

TwoBees
03-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I saw one of those a few months ago. Even posted on here about it. I sooo wanted to leave a note on the windshield. :(

o_mom
03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
They were made through at least 2009 according to the pictorial database. :(

BabyBearsMom
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey - at least it was IN a car. The last one I saw (maybe 3-5 days ago) was TIED IN TO THE BED OF A TRUCK. Rearfacing, against the cab. At least it wasn't also raining. Around here they probably are given a hard time for actually using a seat at all, most of my neighbors do not. Yes, I do live in a lovely area full of parents highly educated in child safety, why do you ask? NOT.

I briefly debated taking a picture of it, thinking about just this kind of a post. And no, I didn't bother calling. Police around here don't really do much about it, sadly.

At least it was rearfacing:rotflmao: