PDA

View Full Version : General carrier questions, and specific "buckle" suggestions?

lalasmama
03-21-2012, 11:22 PM
It's hit me that Baby is due in just a few weeks (May).... Now I'm fretting over everything we don't have yet.

When DD was an infant/toddler, she rode around in a NoJo sling. I actually really liked it, as did she. Sometime between toddlerhood and the preschool years, we switched up to a Didymos, and passed on the NoJo to some other family. We both really liked the Didymos. I also liked that I could hand the Didymos to my (much fluffier) sister, who would tie it as a sling with a tail, and could carry DD as well.

Overall, we have a non-adjustable basic sling out of a woven, non-stretchy material (it was okay, but I was MUCH smaller when we used it), a Seven sling (never used it, got it for one of their many free promotions), and the Didymos.

So, here's what I'm hoping/wondering:
(1) Will I be able to tie a newborn/tiny one on my front as easily as I tied DD on my back?
(2) Would a stretchy type (like a Moby) be easier/better? If it matters, it's just me, DD and DD-to-be, so I don't have anyone to help me get all adjusted before putting DD-to-be in the carrier. (I remember doing a backpack carrier with DD, and I couldn't ever get her in it, then it on me with any ease!)

We're also planning a trip to Disneyland when DD-to-be is still very much a baby. Someone on the Dis-boards mentioned that I need a "buckled" carrier. Suggestions for something that will work/be comfortable enough for Disneyland, but isn't going to break the bank? It has to face in and out, apparently.

edurnemk
03-21-2012, 11:30 PM
It's not buckled, but if it's because of the easy of putting it on and taking it off, and you want something that's wrap-style, maybe the Baby K'tan carrier? You can wear baby facing in or out. There's some good videos on their website. I haven't tried it, but plan on getting one to use with DD instead of the Moby because it looks so much easier to use.

citymama
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
I used my Pikkolo (soft structured carrier) from 4 weeks on; it can be used from newborn I think. Send a note to Lorene at frogmama.com and she'll hook you up! I still use my Pikkolo sometimes with my 22 month old so it's a good investment!

crl
03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Loved my pikkolo too. But if you are comfortable with other kinds of slings, I'm not sure one is essential. They are nice because they are so fast and easy to put on. And I found them the most comfortable with the baby's weight distributed better for me.

Catherine

ABO Mama
03-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Well, if you know how to wrap with the didy, you don't really need another wrap (unless you want one!). You can practice some newborn front carries now with a stuffed animal. Go check out thebabywearer...you'll find lots of help in the wrapping forum, and see lots of step by step instructions.

There are lots of buckle carriers to try, with a wide range of prices. Being able to face forward is not important to me (having the baby face forward actually puts a lot of strain on your back, because the weight of the baby is pulling away from your body, and there is the possibility that facing forward can damage the baby's hips). If you still want the option, then beco and pikkolo both make carriers that will work. I would not buy a bjorn or snugglie carrier, because they are sooo uncomfortable. If you are looking for a deal, and don't mind used, thebabywearer has a FSOT forum.

anne-girl
03-22-2012, 11:20 AM
If I were you, I wouldn't discount the Didy. Obviously it's hard to practice front carries if you're past 5 mos or so, but otherwise you might want to give it a try. IMO front carries are far easier than back carries in a wrap, so if you've mastered back carries, you should find front ones quite easy.

What size is your Didy? Many back carries take a shorter wrap, but you might be able to do FCC. I can FWCC with the same wrap I use for Ruck with tibetan straps (albeit in the very tips of the tails)--that'll be your easiest carrry at first, because it's very poppable/pre-tie-able.

Thebabywearer.com is a great place for advice on wrapping newborns (or finding the right buckle carrier for that matter).

If you're sure you want a buckle carrier, I love my Manduca; unfortunately it's not available in the US though. Haven't tried it with a newborn yet but it does have an integrated newborn insert.

ETA: if your summers are at all hot, I wouldn't recommend a stretchy wrap. I had an April baby and put away the stretchy wrap in May; by fall he was too big for it.

lizzywednesday
03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Front carries with your Didy will be fine; there are a ton of great wrapping videos on YouTube!

It's super-easy to wrap & tie it BEFORE you get into the car or whatever & then just pop Baby in or out (or re-tie to snug up a bit.) Your easiest front-carry is probably a front wrap-cross; here's a decent video on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7XYLiKVak

And, frankly, I have wrap-envy, my dear. The Didy is beloved among serious wrappers everywhere; I'm considering upgrading from my EllaRoo to a Didy or a Storch if we have another!

doberbrat
03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
We're also planning a trip to Disneyland when DD-to-be is still very much a baby. Someone on the Dis-boards mentioned that I need a "buckled" carrier. Suggestions for something that will work/be comfortable enough for Disneyland, but isn't going to break the bank? It has to face in and out, apparently.

I disagree with this. For Disney you need whatever you and baby are most comfortable in keeping temperatures in mind. Personally, I hate hate hate ssc (buckled) carriers for front carries esp if I'm nursing. I'd way prefer a MT. If you and baby are wrappers, then thats the way to go. Depending on baby's age/size when you go, an ssc might definitely not be the best choice. If I were taking my 2yo, I'd definitely take an ssc for the ups/downs.

And I also disagree about it "needing" to face out. Disney can be way overwhelming for adults never mind babies. Much better to face in and be able to turn away from stimulation if they want than being stuck facing out. Babies facing in can see just fine if you turn in the direction you want them to face.

You might consider a pouch or a ringsling if you want something that you can take on/off quickly, but its not a 'necessity'.

Personally, I wouldnt buy another carrier until baby is here and you know what she likes. They're all different. You have something to use while you figure it out.

Congrats on the new addition!!!

lizzywednesday
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM

And I also disagree about it "needing" to face out. Disney can be way overwhelming for adults never mind babies. Much better to face in and be able to turn away from stimulation if they want than being stuck facing out. Babies facing in can see just fine if you turn in the direction you want them to face.

Congrats on the new addition!!!

This is very sound advice! Also, with a place like Disney where you'll be walking around all. day. long. why would you put the additional strain on your back by getting baby into FFO position?

Your Didy is going to be just fine, lalasmama!

elektra
03-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I think the reason someone on disboards may have mentioned an FF carrier is that when riding on the rides, the DL ride people make you hold the baby on your lap facing out. You cannot keep them in the carrier facing in or in a side sling when riding the actual ride. (The one exception I encountered was on Dumbo- they let me keep DS in a Hotsling.)

What worked best for me at DL as far as carriers was to use the stroller as much as possible, and then for waiting in lines for rides, I would have an easy on and off sling that I could fold up into a diaper bag- a non adjustable hotsling worked the best for me. I would just take DS out of the sling and put him on my lap when we got to the actual ride.
I also tried an Ergo once too but I liked the sling more for DL.

crl
03-23-2012, 02:59 PM
I think the reason someone on disboards may have mentioned an FF carrier is that when riding on the rides, the DL ride people make you hold the baby on your lap facing out. You cannot keep them in the carrier facing in or in a side sling when riding the actual ride. (The one exception I encountered was on Dumbo- they let me keep DS in a Hotsling.)

What worked best for me at DL as far as carriers was to use the stroller as much as possible, and then for waiting in lines for rides, I would have an easy on and off sling that I could fold up into a diaper bag- a non adjustable hotsling worked the best for me. I would just take DS out of the sling and put him on my lap when we got to the actual ride.
I also tried an Ergo once too but I liked the sling more for DL.

Interesting. I had never heard that about the rides. I had dd in an Ergo on several rides, so obviously facing me, at WDW over Thanksgiving 2010 and no one said anything to me about it.

Catherine

lalasmama
03-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks for all the input ladies!

As Elektra pointed out, a disboarder said Disney generally requires babies to be forward facing on rides, which is why I was trying to figure out how to make it work with lines and all. Generally, especially for infants, I'm all about the facing-mom thing, because sometimes, blocking out stimuli is the best thing for anyone!

I'm going to start checking out Youtube videos to master some different carries before the baby gets here (expected adoption placement). I'm sure there's a baby-sized doll in older-DD's collection so I can get a better "feel" of how to manage it with a (albeit, quiet, unsquirmy) baby.

anne-girl
03-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Interesting re the rides. It is possible to use a woven wrap FFO, just like a stretchy. You'd use the FWCC tie, and you could "pop" them in or out either facing in or out. You wouldn't want to wear them that way for a long time, and most serious wrappers don't generally recommend it (back strain etc) but for rides it would work fine IMO.

AshleyAnn
03-26-2012, 09:35 PM
I had a "buckle carrier" and liked it but it didnt last long. I found my mei tie to be much much more user friendly. You can face in or out or do a back carry. I'm a single mom too and I had no problem using it without help. I never did master the back carry but then I only tried twice.

lizzywednesday
03-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Interesting re the rides. It is possible to use a woven wrap FFO, just like a stretchy. You'd use the FWCC tie, and you could "pop" them in or out either facing in or out. You wouldn't want to wear them that way for a long time, and most serious wrappers don't generally recommend it (back strain etc) but for rides it would work fine IMO.

:yeahthat:

I've even seen people use stretchy wraps like that, but I'd be a lot more confident with a woven in that situation.