PDA

View Full Version : Suit jacket- rules for buttoning?

elektra
03-22-2012, 02:56 AM
I know that men are supposed to unbutton their suit jackets, at least the bottom buttons when they sit down, right? But does that apply to women at all?
I am wearing a suit for I think the first time in my life for an interview tomorrow. It's a matching blazer and pants I got at LOFT last year and up until now I have only worn them as separate pieces. I think the jacket has three buttons and I have never buttoned it. How should I do the buttons?

How nervewracking to fuss with buttons! DH seems to just do it second nature whenever I have sort of watched- I barely notice when any man does the buttoning unless I am paying attention. And obviously I have never noticed what a woman does.

citymama
03-22-2012, 03:23 AM
I tend to keep the buttons on all the time; usually the jacket or blazer is nicer than whatever I have on underneath (sometimes just a nice cami, which I don't want to show too much of!). But I don't think it's necessary to do so. If it's a full suit, then you're probably wearing a nice shirt inside, and it would be appropriate to unbutton when you sit down.

Good luck with your interview! I'm sure you'll look fabulous.

mommylamb
03-22-2012, 07:51 AM
With womens suits it's all or nothing with the buttons, and for an interview it should be all buttoned. Good luck and mojo!

arivecchi
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
With womens suits it's all or nothing with the buttons, and for an interview it should be all buttoned. Good luck and mojo!:yeahthat:

Beth24
03-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Good luck today!

Liziz
03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
With womens suits it's all or nothing with the buttons, and for an interview it should be all buttoned. Good luck and mojo!

This is what I do, too.

Uno-Mom
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
I know nothing about fashion but I ways thought men do that because of where the buttons hit, to keep the jacket from bunching up when they sit. Wouldnt it be the same if a woman's jacket buttoned that low and would bunch? Totally clueless, just wondering out loud.

Have a great interview!!!

elektra
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Alright, I'm going all buttons! Taking off in a few minutes! Thanks for the mojo!

Mermanaid
03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Good luck!

With men it's the top button and unbutton when sitting. With women I've usually noticed it's always buttoned.