PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for top-of-stairs safety gate?

NCGrandma
03-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Can't believe that DGD2 is now getting mobile, but my DIL just asked me to research safety gates for the top of the stairs. They of course want one that is installed, not just pressure-mounted. Probably need a standard size but I've asked her to send me the dimensions, etc.

From some older threads here, it looks like the Kidco Safeway and the Retract-a-gate are popular with BBBers. Any others that we should consider?

One possible issue with the Retract-a-gate is that, per their website, it should be installed 6" back from the edge of the stairs so the baby can't push it toward the stairs and slip under it. That really won't work for the top, but may be good for the bottom of the stairs.

WatchingThemGrow
03-22-2012, 03:42 PM
The best stair gate I've ever seen was mounted away from the top of the stairs, as it made a "landing" area at the top of the stairs, then started the gate thing down the hall a little bit.

NCGrandma
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
The best stair gate I've ever seen was mounted away from the top of the stairs, as it made a "landing" area at the top of the stairs, then started the gate thing down the hall a little bit.

Hmmm... not sure I'm visualizing that correctly but if I am, it won't work at my family's house. Imagine the stairs opening into the middle of a long hallway that stretches on both sides of the opening. (It's actually a hallway on one side and the kitchen/dining room on the other, but it's a long straight wall.) The only way to mount the gate away from the top of the stairs would be to have TWO gates, across the hall on either side of the stairs, and the inconvenience factor would be really high!!! Good idea, though, for a different layout.

jerigirl
03-22-2012, 04:28 PM
We have Kidco gates at the top and the bottom of our stairs. We have a landing as described by the PP too. What ever gate you decide, you might want to check on craigslist. I got our gates for a great deal on CL. I did have to contact Kidco for a few pieces of hardware but it was still a deal vs. buying brand new.

new_mommy25
03-24-2012, 02:21 AM
We had a mounted first years stair gate for 6 years and it worked great for us.

smiles33
03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
We have Kidco gates at the top and the bottom of our stairs. We have a landing as described by the PP too. What ever gate you decide, you might want to check on craigslist. I got our gates for a great deal on CL. I did have to contact Kidco for a few pieces of hardware but it was still a deal vs. buying brand new.

:yeahthat: we had the Kidco Safeway and the Gateway, both purchased off CL for about 40-50% of retail at most (only paid $5 for the Safeway but $50 for the Gateway and its optional extension kit). I made sure to review the manual beforehand so I knew what pieces should be included. Didn't have to buy anything from Kidco either. They mailed me the paper template to drill the holes in the wall for free!

AshleyAnn
03-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I have one thats a bit newer so less popular called The Easy Close by Munchkin and I love it. Its VERY easy to open as an adult but almost impossible for a kid. It mounts either way and has held up well me (1.5 yrs still going strong). I bought mine at target for about $65. The instructions for mounting were a bit unclear but its up and holding solid so I much have done something right.

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Easy-Close-Metal-Gate-White/dp/B004CL9YZU