PDA

View Full Version : Athletic shoe help for cranky feet

MichelleRC
03-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I need some new sneakers. I have flat feet, plantar fasciatis and also some pain in the ball of my foot. I don't run, but think running shoes will probably be my best bet. Any suggestions? Asics, Brooks?

TIA!

Mermanaid
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
With all of that going on I would head to a running store. They will watch how you walk and make recommendations for shoes from there.

I am a Brooks fan myself. Their shoes just hug my feet! The best advice I have gotten from a shoe salesman was to pick the running shoe that you noticed the least when you tried it on. And it's worked like a charm.

mrshalco
03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I second the running store - a true running store! I have had PF and ended up tearing my fascia ligament a couple years ago. The sneakers that fit me best are Asics made for Pronators and I also wear inserts. My inserts are sold by my podiatrist and the local running store so you should be able to get good info at the store!

hellokitty
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Yes, go to a running store. I really like Road Runner. I actually drive an hr to go to mine. They will fit you for the correct type of shoe and the type of asics, etc. that they carry are not the same ones that a lot of other stores carry. They are a higher quality (I didn't believe this until I saw it with my own eyes) and fit so much better! I have asic nimbus 12's (they are discontinued, the 13's are out now) with a custom insole (and I noticed that the cheaper version of name brand sneakers don't even have an removable insole, so you can put your custom insole in). Never in my life have I ever spent so much on shoes before, but it is worth the $$$! I have very fussy feet and I can't believe that it took me so long (last yr), to finally find sneakers that actually feel comfortable.

MichelleRC
03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks!! I found 2 independent running stores not too far from me.

KpbS
03-23-2012, 12:16 AM
I don't have PF but a sensitive heel. I have love Saucony running shoes for years. They have a few models with extra cushioning. Hope you find the perfect fit!

lizzywednesday
03-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks!! I found 2 independent running stores not too far from me.

Go. You must. Best time you'll ever spend on yourself.

I don't have the PF, but I do have the flat feet and used to wear Brooks before switching to New Balance.

Since NB discontinued my shoe, I may go back to Brooks, but I'd like to be re-evaluated before I shop.

ray7694
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I love Brooks.

MichelleRC
03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Update! I went to the Track Shack (thumbs up if you are ever in need of running gear in Orlando), and wound up with the Asics Gel 3030. Very comfy. I wish they were in cuter colors though, LOL. It was a close race between those and the Brooks Adrenaline GTS12, but the Asics has a little more cushioning.
:yay:

stinkyfeet
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
I have flat feet, collapsed arches and over pronate. I like my brooks ariel sneakers.

http://www.zappos.com/brooks-ariel-green-ash-pavement-white-silver-black~1

I also found it helpful to wear Birkenstock soft footbed clogs around the house as slippers. It really alleviated the keepi I developed as a result from over pronating.

HTH!
:wavey:

citymama
03-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Sounds like you found the right shoe for you. About 10 years ago I went to a running store and they recommended New Balance trail runners for my flat feet, bunions and all. I haven't looked back since - I'm a NB addict! If the Asics don't work (they didn't for me), try NBs.