PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this used seat for your baby?

rileysmom
03-24-2012, 10:23 AM
I was at a friends house yesterday and she mentioned she wanted to sell her DD's carseats. She had a classic Britax Boulevard and it is in perfect condition. Looks brand new because it was in her husbands car and hardly used. She told me she thought it had at least 2 yrs of life left. I told her I wanted to get it. We agreed on $60 since it would work for at least 2 years. When I got home I finally found the manufacture date and it was 11/06/07. So based on that, it only has another 1.5 years of life right? If you were me, would you still get the seat? What do you think its worth? Money is really tight now after an unexpected $600 vet trip so we would either have to get this seat as our second seat or wait 3 mo or so until we can afford something new. What do you think? I 100% trust that this seat is safe and has been well cared for and not in an accident since it's coming from a close friend.

TwinFoxes
03-24-2012, 10:38 AM
How old/tall/heavy is your DC?

rileysmom
03-24-2012, 10:41 AM
DD2 is 5 1/2 mo old and 95th percentile for height and weight. I dont know her exact weight right now, but probably 20lb or so. I know she is trending heavy and tall though.

Melaine
03-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Do you already have a Blvd? Just asking because you could use the cover as a spare once the seat expires, which might up the value to you.

legaleagle
03-24-2012, 12:07 PM
I probably wouldn't considering you can very decent brand-new seats for under $100, esp since you have a couple months to look for a deal. I'd consider only if 1) you need the super easy install 2) you're planning on turning ff'ing right at 2 or 3) you have another blvd you'd like to have a spare cover for.

edurnemk
03-24-2012, 12:13 PM
How long do you plan to RF? If the seat gets you to that point, you could keep it and then get a FF-only seat. But if you want a convertible that will last you longer than to the 2 yo mark, then I'd pass and get a more affordable but newer one.

We RF'd DS until 3.5 in an old-style Blvd, FWIW. He's still riding his Blvd FF now.

smiles33
03-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I love my Blvds and I would get this seat if a new one isn't in your budget right now. Dividing $260-270 price (assuming a super sale) by 6 years would still be over $40/year so $60 for 1.5 years for a seat in good condition sounds reasonable to me. However, it does mean you have to buy another seat before you may be ready to turn her FF. If you're ok with her FFing shortly after 2, then you can buy a FF combo seat instead of a convertible (and those are cheaper).

jjordan
03-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I think $60 is great. Like a pp said, the cover is worth something. You can probably sell it for, I don't know, at least $20 or so (if it's still in good shape) when the seat expires. (Normally covers go for more than that, but by the time that seat expires, there will be fewer classic boulevards that are un-expired, and thus less of a market for used covers.)

In the mean time, I'd go ahead and plan for the seat that you get when this one does expire. If you want a $150 seat then, saving $10/month will mean you'll have the money in hand when you need it. :)

rileysmom
03-24-2012, 02:59 PM
I do plan to ERF until DD2 is at least 2.5-3 yrs old. The other thing I can think about is keeping this blvd for my 3 yr old. That would last her until she was 4.5 as her second seat and I could use he true fit for the baby. What about that idea?? I put ODD in it and she really likes it. She says its really comfy. When she's 4.5 I could get her a booster. Does that make sense?