PDA

View Full Version : Patio barrier recomendations

Giantbear
03-24-2012, 01:30 PM
We have a slate patio with 2-3 foot slate walls enclosing it and three openings, one with three steps to the lawn, one with two steps to the lawn and one with 4 steps to a lower house entry. The patio is a nice size, 300+ sq ft and dd will be playing on the patio a lot. I need to come up with a way of barricading the stairs to keep it safe for her but without anchoring anything into the slate or house.

here is a pic of the two of the openings

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/giantbear44/P1010634.jpg

smiles33
03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
If you can't anchor anything to the walls, it would have to be a nontraditional gate. How "aesthetically pleasing" does it need to be? Can you deal with a plastic monstrosity (like maybe the gray plastic Superyard gates)? How permanent does it need to be? Do you plan to leave it up until she's 3 or 4? Or is it something you plan to put in place only when she's outside on the weekends? If it's more permanent and you don't mind an eyesore, I might just get some plywood sheets to make a wall and "anchor" them with large heavy weights so they don't flop over.

Giantbear
03-24-2012, 01:46 PM
I would like it to not be an eyesore and to be movable by me when we want to use the stairs. I was thinking of the Superyard gates, but wasn't sure how to stop her from moving them. I am hoping to use the patio as an outdoor playroom for her, not leave her alone out there, but also don't want to have to hover either

hillview
03-24-2012, 02:03 PM
retract a gate?

TwinFoxes
03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
I'd do three large planters. With the dirt/plant it should be too heavy for her, but your Giantbear self could easily move them. ;) Esthetically pleasing too.

smiles33
03-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I'd do three large planters. With the dirt/plant it should be too heavy for her, but your Giantbear self could easily move them. ;) Esthetically pleasing too.

That is a genius idea!

Giantbear
03-24-2012, 04:10 PM
I'd do three large planters. With the dirt/plant it should be too heavy for her, but your Giantbear self could easily move them. ;) Esthetically pleasing too. it is a good idea, but i am not sure how practical, that is a lot of planters and they would need to be large to ensure she doesn't climb over them. That would make them tough to move, even for a giantbear, but also for mrs bear

rin
03-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Honestly with between 2 and 4 steps at each place, and at your DD's age, I'd consider leaving them unbarricaded and just work with your DD on stair safety. She's exactly the same age as our DD, and we have a back patio with two steps, then a seatwall that's about 18" high that runs around the edge of the patio. Our DD is really, really good about taking the steps by herself, and has learned that she needs to ONLY sit, not walk on the seatwall. Our front porch has 4 concrete steps leading down to a stone path, and once she was able to be careful on the back steps we started letting her take the front steps by herself, and we now no longer feel the need to watch her like a hawk out there either.

I don't know if you think your DD might be ready to be that careful around steps, but I think that honestly it would be hard for her to hurt herself on two or even three steps leading to the grass, and maybe you could work with her on those ones (keeping the 4 steps leading into the house blocked off with a big patio chair for a temporary solution) until she was pretty good with the steps.

Giantbear
03-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Honestly with between 2 and 4 steps at each place, and at your DD's age, I'd consider leaving them unbarricaded and just work with your DD on stair safety. She's exactly the same age as our DD, and we have a back patio with two steps, then a seatwall that's about 18" high that runs around the edge of the patio. Our DD is really, really good about taking the steps by herself, and has learned that she needs to ONLY sit, not walk on the seatwall. Our front porch has 4 concrete steps leading down to a stone path, and once she was able to be careful on the back steps we started letting her take the front steps by herself, and we now no longer feel the need to watch her like a hawk out there either.

I don't know if you think your DD might be ready to be that careful around steps, but I think that honestly it would be hard for her to hurt herself on two or even three steps leading to the grass, and maybe you could work with her on those ones (keeping the 4 steps leading into the house blocked off with a big patio chair for a temporary solution) until she was pretty good with the steps.
This is something to consider, although dd is behind on her gross motor, she only started walking at 19 months and receives pt twice a week. She is starting stairs, but is very shaky on them.

KLD313
03-24-2012, 05:28 PM
If you google outdoor freestanding gates you'll see a bunch of options but they're pretty pricey.