PDA

View Full Version : So tomorrow's the day...

inmypjs
03-25-2012, 09:23 PM
...that I am starting homeschooling with DS. I think we are both pretty excited. We decided to do homeschooling with dual enrollment - he'll be going to school at 1:00 each afternoon for specials - art, p.e., music etc. We just felt that he'd accomplish so much more at home, instead of having to come home from school each day and do dyslexia program follow up on top of his regular homework. We are also starting vision therapy soon, and this schedule will allow us to do those appts. and work too.

Tonight we had a good talk about why we are homeschooling, our goals and rules. He came up with those - always have fun and always do your best! I liked those. We are doing Math U See for math, reading with his dyslexa methods, lots of multisensory handwriting stuff, read alouds for whatever he is interested in, and I'm going to start scribing for him as he has many wonderful stories in his head. I never thought I'd home school, but it just seems right.

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2012, 09:25 PM
:applause: That sounds awesome, and it sounds like a very specific and supportive program targeting what your DS needs! I have one question though...are you going to do it inyourpjs? ;)

Melaine
03-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Sounds like you are off to a great start! I hope it is a wonderful experience for your family!

inmypjs
03-25-2012, 09:54 PM
:applause: That sounds awesome, and it sounds like a very specific and supportive program targeting what your DS needs! I have one question though...are you going to do it inyourpjs? ;)

Hee hee, you bet!

I am inmypjs sooooo much it is not even funny! DS is really excited he can wear his all morning too!

swrc00
03-25-2012, 10:10 PM
It sounds like you have the best of both worlds. I love love Math U See. I had a student I tutored that I used this program with. It is awesome! Not sure what dyslexia program you are using but I have good things about Wilson. Have fun!

crl
03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Good luck!

Catherine

JTsMom
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Best of luck! Hope it turns out to be a great fit for your familiy.

JTsMom
03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
How's your week going?

inmypjs
03-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for asking! I think it went pretty well! Each day I wrote on a dry erase board the subjects/activities we were going to do. DS got to pick the order we did them in and then he would check them off when we finished. It was neat to do our work in various areas of the house, pet the kitties while we read, and have a snack whenever!

Each day we did reading and math and his dyslexia activites. We also did some brief critical thinking activites, some handwriting and/or writing composition. I am finding it very helpful to separate handwriting practice from writing composition - for that we did a writing planning worksheet, I scribed what he said, and then we discussed some basic editing. He has wonderfully creative stories that his dysgraphia just won't allow him to physically write. He was really proud when I showed him that I typed his words exactly as he said them.

One thing I am struggling with is, am I doing enough? Am I helping him learn more than he would in the classroom? Somedays I think yes and then other days I don't know. I also feel judged by some people at the school - namely the school psych and VP. But I can't tell if they really are judging us negatively, or if I am just projecting my own anxiety. And in the end it won't really affect what we do, but it just bugs me.

JTsMom
03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
It sounds like you're off to a wonderful start! One of the things that helps me as far as feeling judged goes is to find people who are supportive. Have you been over to the Well Trained Mind forums? There's a pretty nice mix of people over there, and they even have a SN forum.

I think it's good that you're starting off slowly. A lot of people overdo it in the beginning. You can always add more in if you feel like you want to. People are all over the board about how much you "should" do, and I don't think there's any one right answer. Have you thought about doing some type of history or science? Maybe a formal grammar and/or writing program? Another option is to do unit studies here and there. I don't know what all you've looked at, but if you need any suggestions, let me know.

inmypjs
03-31-2012, 04:13 PM
I have thought about adding a little more, but since we are only HSing in the a.m. I am not sure if there is time. He is pretty advanced in science so in a way I feel like what he does in his free time about qualifies. They also do science at school. I would like to find a nice history read aloud. Do you have any suggestions for that? I have been looking at Winning With Writing and Growing with Grammar for language arts. I would like a grammar/language arts program that is pretty basic, with not a too much type on any work pages. Though I suppose I could enlarge or use alternate paper as needed.

JTsMom
03-31-2012, 04:23 PM
We use Story of the World for history. There's a text, an activity guide and audio CD's, and you can pick and choose what to use. You can do it with little/no writing. Another option would be to just pick and choose topics from your state standards and do more of a social studies approach. I actually do that as well b/c I'm not sure how long we'll HS for, and I want DS to be able to transition smoothly if it comes down to it.

Is your DS a 1st grader? I can't remember for sure.

We use First Language Lessons for grammar, and Writing With Ease for writing. FLL is very simple, and requires little/no writing- there are optional activities that would require a little writing, but you could just skip them if you wanted to. It's mostly a script that you would read to him, and he would answer orally.

WWE is probably not the best option for you, imo, based on what you've described, so I won't give details on that, unless you're interested.

inmypjs
04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes, DS is in first grade. I looked at Story of the World and I really want it! DS has been asking for history too. I think he would love it. Do you think the activities are good and are the tests needed? Trying to figure out if I need it all or just the book. I also looked at First Language Lessons - looks pretty painless. Do you happen to know if the older version (2002) is pretty similar to the new? I was thinking of getting a used copy of levels 1-2 together, but wondered if the revised edition was better. Thanks for the suggestions!

JTsMom
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Oh good! I'm glad you found something you like. :)

I have the book, the CDs and the AG, but not the tests. My goal is just to expose him to history, and I figure whatever he retains is icing on the cake. I think the activity book is very good, and DS really enjoys it. I think a lot of what he does retain is a result of the activities. Most of the projects are pretty simple, which is nice. There are also map activities, coloring pages and additional reading suggestions in there. We're able to get many of the books listed from the library through inter-library loan. I also bought the Usborne Encyclopedia they recommend, but I rarely remember to use it.

The CDs are a recent addition. I'm glad I bought them, b/c DS has been listening to them quite a bit. We play them in the car sometimes.

I would start with the book and the AG and see how it goes. You could always add more if it works out well for you. Also, check out this site:
satorismiles.com For some reason, it's not loading for me right now, but she has a ton of good SOTW stuff on there, including a link to printable timeline cards.

My FLL is a newer copy that I bought from Amazon. I haven't heard anything about the older edition, but I'd bet they are very similar. You may want to try searching on Well Trained Mind's forums though. I'm sure there is at least one thread comparing them.