PDA

View Full Version : Starting underwear overnight

acmom
03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
My 3.5 year old DD has been potty trained since 2 but has still been wearing a pullup at night. She has been in underwear at nap for a year but until about a month ago, didn't stay dry at night. She has now been dry at night for a month except for 1 or 2 nights. She would really like to switch to underwear at night and I would love to stop buying pullups!

Any tips on starting underwear at night? Did you put something under your child to make it easier to change the bed in the middle of the night if they did pee? (Right now, we have a mattress protector, waterproof mattress pad and sheet, but her bed is a slat one w/o a box spring so it is a real pain to change!)

Thanks!

Nechums
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
In the beginning I would actually put a pullup over DS's underwear. After a week or so of dryness, I just dived right in. Other than a mattress protector, I don't take any other precautions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

drako
03-29-2012, 09:12 AM
My DD has been potty trained since she was two as well. I did the same thing with pull-ups over underware at night-time. She occassionally would wake up wet and I know she could stay dry. She knew as well that she had the pull up there as well. I decided we just had to get rid of the pull ups. As soon as we stopped using the pull ups she stayed dry for good. She had one or two accidents and after that she realized she couldn't go in her pants since she didn't have the pull up on. So using the pull up is a crutch IMO. Get rid of them, you will be happy you did!! You may have a few accidents but they are part of the learning/training process! Make sure you have a waterproof mattress pad!

Good luck!