PDA

View Full Version : Carryon bag for plane?

acmom
03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
We are flying to SC in a few weeks with both kids (age 3.5 and 21 months). Our flight has one connection with several hours of layover time.

Last time I flew with them it was just me and I brought my friend's skip hop duo double bag and my DD's little backpack. I can't borrow my friend's bag again bc she is using it that week. I will need to carry snacks, toys/books/entertainment, diapers, wipes, water bottles and a change of clothes for each, plus PJs and bathing suit for when we arrive (just in case the luggage doesn't make the connection- I have been burned on that one a few times!).

My daily bag is a JJB Behave, which I think is too small and too heavy for travel. I also have a bunch of Vera Bradley bags that might be possibilities.

What bag(s) do you use as carry-ons when you fly with little ones? Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2012, 03:15 PM
When traveling with the kids I use an LL Bean backpack. I like to be hands free and hate when shoulder bags slipped off my shoulder.

mikala
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I use a backpack, any backpack, for travel. They usually hold more than a diaper bag and are better ergonomically. The shoulder straps are invaluable while racing to a connection while carrying 30 lbs of child, or just kid chasing in general.

hillview
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Backpack for sure. I have a patagonia one I got on sale. It holds a ton and is light weight.

crl
03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
We have Rick Steves carry on backpacks. They are pretty much the maximum size for carry ons, the bags themselves aren't terribly heavy, they have a few different pockets so some organization and they have held up incredibly well. I always take one of those as my carry on and then a large purse/small diaper bag as my personal item.

Catherine

ETA. This is it (well, close, ours are about eight years old now--and still look like new). http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=139

nupe
03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I have the ebags motherlode weekender TLS. It is the size of a carryon and can be worn as a backpack or a shoulder or hand carry. I prefer the backpack carry, that is unless I have a car seat strapped to my back.
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370035

curiousgeorge
03-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Backpack for sure! Have flown multiple times and wouldn't do it any other way.

BayGirl2
03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I would use a Ju Ju Be Be Right Back for travel if you want a back pack. They are discontinued but its pretty easy to find them used on the JJB Pink Room FSOT. I've been using mine lately and its perfect, very well organized. I'm not usually a backpack person, but this one I could travel with.