PDA

View Full Version : Do I get another Frontier? what's our next seat? - sorry long post

emily
03-28-2012, 08:48 AM
We will be in the market for another seat in the next couple of months and would appreciate some advice so I can keep an eye out for deals.

DD will be 4 next month and is currently in a Frontier in our Ody and an old style MA (3rd notch) in DH's Accord. This MA will expire in about 1.5 yrs. My guess is the seat will expire bwfore it is actually outgrown. She is about 38lbs and about 40 in tall.
DS1 is 2.5 yrs old. He's in an old style MA in the Ody and an old style BLVD in the Accord. The BLVD will expire in about 2 Yrs and the MA probably 3+ yrs. On the MA he's currently in the second lowest notch. He's about 38lbs too and about 37 in tall (I think).
DS2 was born earlier this month and currently in a Snugride 22. I am not a fan of infant bucket seats and will probably move him to a convertible at about 3 mos or so when the seat plus the weight of the child gets too heavy.

So what's our next seat? Do we continue to pass down DD's seats and buy another Frontier (or similar) or do we get another convertible? Also, we would like to have the option of possibly fitting 3 across in the Accord in a pinch. From my earlier research, this won't be possible with our Britax seats. Unfotunately, I know virtually nothing about other brands so I would appreciate any feedback about other 5pt harness HBB/convertible.

Sorry this is long. And I apologize in advance if I don't check back to this thread quickly. I haven't been able to check in much since DS2 arrived.

Thanks again.

legaleagle
03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Congrats on the new baby. If it wasn't for the 3 across, I'd definitely say another frontier, but given that issue, I would look at something like a radian. Apparently a britax & radian facing the same direction puzzle together beautifully and actually take up less side to side room than 2 radians (which are very narrow seats to begin with). Is DS1 forward or rearfacing? How long do you anticipate rf'ing the new baby?

emily
03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
DS1 is FF and I hope to RF DS2 at least until 2.5.

legaleagle
03-28-2012, 11:33 PM
So rereading your OP, do you actually need 2 new seats (one for each car) in a couple months? Or do you plan to keep using the bucket and just leave it in one car until outgrown?

emily
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
sorry, i missed this. yes, i think we need two new seats. I'm thinking both will be for the Accord to get three accross. For the Ody, I think we will just give either the MA or the BLVD to DS2 since we can't get three across with both.

legaleagle
04-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I know the radians are about as narrow as harnessed seats get, all the evenflo maestros are fairly narrow (and maybe also the secure kids?). Not sure how either of these will puzzle with a rf'ing britax though the accord may be wide enough that it's not a huge issue. Or you may be able to do ff'ing radian and a britax and get some other narrow convertible for the baby. The combi coccoro is super narrow and it sounds like your kids aren't huge in the torso, so would likely last a reasonable amount of time.

emily
04-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I spent some time over at car-seat.org and it seems maybe two MAs and a Radian may fit. I think DH willneed to spend some time at BRU trying out some installs. There seem to be different versions of the Radians. do they all have the sam size frame?

AustenFan
04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Apparently a britax & radian facing the same direction puzzle together beautifully and actually take up less side to side room than 2 radians (which are very narrow seats to begin with).

Sorry to hijack, but we have the same question as OP when my #3 outgrows the carrier! Right now, I have DS in a Frontier and DD1 FF in a Comfort Sport in the back of our Town & Country. I'd kindof assumed that one Frontier was enough to ruin the possibility of 3-across, so I'd planned on just getting another Frontier for DD1 when DD2 moves into the Comfort Sport. But are you saying that a Radian would puzzle together enough with the Frontier that we could possibly fit a third seat in there eventually? That would be awesome.

legaleagle
04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
It's the britax convertibles that tend to puzzle well because they're up on the base. The frontier is just monstrously wide.

All the radians (both the original sunshine kids and the new dionos) have the same frame & width, just the features change a bit (kind of like the britax series).

AustenFan
04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
It's the britax convertibles that tend to puzzle well because they're up on the base. The frontier is just monstrously wide.

All the radians (both the original sunshine kids and the new dionos) have the same frame & width, just the features change a bit (kind of like the britax series).

Thanks. It kindof sounded too good to be true.:tongue5:

Joolsplus2
04-04-2012, 07:48 AM
AustenFan... Here's what a good pic of the Britaxes look like together... https://picasaweb.google.com/104971860341203318894/Frontier#5208143231899203954 so you can see the high sides. It's possible your ComfortSport is narrow enough to work, though (make sure it's not going to expire or be outgrown before your baby turns 2 for rearfacing, the Radian would probably fit next to a Frontier Rearfacing if it doesn't).