PDA

View Full Version : Integrated booster in old Volvo

Globetrotter
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Sometime I hate being In a carpool...

Until now I have sent a backless booster for DS, who just turned nine. The mom has never been happy with that. Yesterday she said she will just use the built in booster. I'm all for that if its safe and it would make my life easier, but it told her I Need to check it out first because back then boosters were probably made for small children. Does anyone know if this is okay for a nine year old who is slender, maybe 55 to 60 pounds at most? It's a Volvo 850 GLT,similar to this but a sedan:
http://www.capitalmotorcompany.com/vehicle/2868781/1996-Volvo-850-GLT-Luxury-Wagon-Eau-Claire-Wisconsin-54703

Booster is pictured in the last row of pics.

. This is the same one who made a fuss that dd was in a booster. Granted, she was 12 but a very petite 12. I used the checklist you all told me about and determined she could just barely ride without a booster.

lovin2shop
03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't have a good answer for you, but I had that car and it was my very most favorite car ever! I eventually had to trade it in after a very major wreck on the highway involving 4 cars. I was the only not hurt (although the other injuries were not life threatening). My car probably should have been totaled, and it had too many problems after being fixed to keep. But, it was a great safe car! Just thought that might make you feel better.

As for the boosters, I don't know as I didn't have kids yet. We do have 2 volvo's in our household now, and we use the built in boosters frequently for my 9 year old and his friends.

ett
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't have a good answer for you either, but DS1 is 8.5, 54 inches, 60? lbs (haven't weighed him recently) and uses the integrated booster in our 2006 V70. But ours are on the window seats and the booster comes up from the seat so different from the one you pictured.

AnnieW625
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
I probably won't get another larger station wagon because I already have Pilot, but I love that the XC70 has this an option, and I wish the sedans had it too.

I was in an accident 10 yrs. ago and my dad wanted me to replace my car with a mid 90s Volvo sedan and I wasn't ready for a mom car then, but I have always kind of regretted not getting one, but now I am seriously considering an S60.

eta: I meant to say was that yes I would use it without hesitation. If I were really hesistant I might try and call Volvo and see if the seat had some sort of expiration date.

Globetrotter
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I should have clarified that this is a mid 90s model. If it was current, I wouldn't think twice. I'm thinking it should be okay as it just serves to boost him up, literally?

legaleagle
03-28-2012, 05:09 PM
If belt fit is good and head support is adequate, I'd definitely use it.

Joolsplus2
03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
If belt fit is good and head support is adequate, I'd definitely use it.

:thumbsup:

Globetrotter
03-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Phew... Thanks.