PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here familiar with Astronaut Training?

gatorsmom
03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Our OT has us on a very long waiting list for Therapeutic Listening therapy. A wise mama here suggested looking into buying the CDs myself to use at home. I emailed our OT about this and she said that is something she would prefer to do in session. But, she said we could try Astronaut Training with the Training Board. Here is the link she sent me: http://shop.astronautboards.com/main.sc For the board and the book/cd it's $170 which seems pretty inexpensive to me. The therapist said that the results from this therapy will not be much but there will be some.

I just thought I'd see if any of the wise moms here have tried this or know anything about it. Greenbean has SPD and I've noticed that his biggest problems are with excessive noises, echoey rooms, rooms full of people. He has a very hard time focusing in noisy, echoing rooms. That is what we are trying to help him with. Visually over-stimulating rooms are also hard for him but not nearly as bad as noises.

All your help and suggestions are very much appreciated!

mytwosons
03-29-2012, 09:40 AM
I have never heard of it.

Honestly, I would look for another OT (doesn't need to be close if you only go periodically) or search some boards/yahoo groups for people who have done the therapuetic listening at home. Not to bash OTs, STs, etc, because they are highly trained professionals. However, our ST at our first meeting told me she would be training me how to work with my son because we would be able to accomplish so much at home and "it's not rocket science". I somewhat disagree about the rocket science part as she was only having me mimic her and follow directions. However, I'm a firm believer that you can do a lot of therapy at home, under the supervision of a trained therapist. If the trained therapist isn't available, I would search for mom who has BTDT and can help guide you.

MamaKath
03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
I have never heard of it.

Honestly, I would look for another OT (doesn't need to be close if you only go periodically) or search some boards/yahoo groups for people who have done the therapuetic listening at home. Not to bash OTs, STs, etc, because they are highly trained professionals. However, our ST at our first meeting told me she would be training me how to work with my son because we would be able to accomplish so much at home and "it's not rocket science". I somewhat disagree about the rocket science part as she was only having me mimic her and follow directions. However, I'm a firm believer that you can do a lot of therapy at home, under the supervision of a trained therapist. If the trained therapist isn't available, I would search for mom who has BTDT and can help guide you.
:yeahthat:
A good therapist will be encouraging you to try things at home that would help.

That said, I have spoken to many OTs who don't like to have clients do Therapeutic Listening at home because some kids react strongly to it.