PDA

View Full Version : Knott's Berry Farm - run down?

HonoluluMom
03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
It's been at least a decade since I've been to Knott's Berry Farm. I'm taking DD to Disneyland and was planning on doing a day at Knott's Berry Farm. I heard, however, that it has become fairly run down and there are problems with theft.

Is it a safe and fun place to visit?

geochick
03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I used to go to Knott's every summer when I was a kid. This last summer we decided to go check it out while we were in the area. It was a dive. The lines are long, and the rides aren't all that great. It's really dirty. NOTHING like Disney. If I were you, I'd save my money. Maybe go somewhere else. I didn't feel unsafe, but it wasn't worth the money. Spend an extra day at Disney.

TwinFoxes
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
We used to go every summer as kids too. When DH and I lived in LA I talked him into going to Knotts once for old time's sake. Once. It was awful. Long lines, unruly teenagers jumping the queue, guys walking around without shirts. It was just not pleasant. But boy, the chicken dinners are still super good! :)

geochick
03-28-2012, 04:37 PM
But boy, the chicken dinners are still super good! :)

Well, there is that! But, you don't need to go to the park to get into the restaurant. Do a drive by for chicken. They even have a take out window.

HonoluluMom
03-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks! I think we'll plan on doing an extra day at Disneyland.

Tenasparkl
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
The only time when I find Knott's to be worth it is when they run the promo at the holidays where if you bring a Toys For Tots toy above a certain value then you get free admission.

AnnieW625
03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
I used to go to Knott's every summer when I was a kid. This last summer we decided to go check it out while we were in the area. It was a dive. The lines are long, and the rides aren't all that great. It's really dirty. NOTHING like Disney. If I were you, I'd save my money. Maybe go somewhere else. I didn't feel unsafe, but it wasn't worth the money. Spend an extra day at Disney.

I live 10 minutes down the road in the neighboring city and I have zero urge to go to Knotts. I have never been. My parents always meant to take us when we were kids, but we never made it there.

A friend of DH's compared it to being stuck at a high school dance with a bunch of horney teenagers. Disneyland can get like that busy times too, but at least I know that DL is clean.

poppy
03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Nothing like Disneyland but I like Knotts Berry Farm.
We recently went this past January and there were almost no lines and a family friendly experience. It may be different during peak season though.

They have a Snoopyland for the kids and some fun rides, age appropriate for toddlers. We also enjoyed their Snoopy show. They have a Snoopy ice-skating Christmas show which is very nice as well. They had a few new rides. But both my DCs really enjoyed it and I felt it was a lot more manageable than Disneyland, though I do prefer the latter--though I also had to wait, sometimes an hour or more to get on one ride at Disneyland, even during non-peak, in my experience.

Their food is pretty good, esp. the chicken dinner and they have a Pinks hotdogs as well and some other stands, along with funnel cake, etc. I am actually not that fond of the food at Disneyland though I enjoy DL very much otherwise, but I try to bring my own food. But I always buy at Knotts b/c it's pretty good and a decent value. Overall, it was fun. There really weren't any more teenagers than the ones I saw at Disneyland, actually, a lot quieter. Most of the guests were families and we stayed most of the time in Snoopyland so almost no teenagers, just a lot of toddlers and young children with their parents. Ileft my double BJCM at the stroller parking with stuff in the basket (though I always take my wallet, keys, etc with me--no matter where I go) and never had a problem with theft.
I personally don't think Knotts is a dirty place and it seemed clean to me and I would like to think my standards are high. It's just an older place and not nearly as fancy and shiny as Disneyland but it is a lot less money.

Tondi G
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
We actually like Knotts Berry Farm. We are annual passholders at Disneyland. We usually go to Knotts once or twice a year. Our boys loved Camp Snoopy and now they are getting a little older and getting more out of the bigger rides. DS2 is almost 7 and still enjoys the Camp Snoopy rides. They love to explore the ghost town and pan for gold. I don't know if it is because it's from my childhood but we still enjoy Knott's. Doesn't hurt that my DH gets a great deal on tickets through his work .... if we were paying full price I might not like it as much.

It is not as clean as Disney ... no amusement park is ... we've been to most in So Cal (Six Flags, Knotts, Legoland, Sea World). The fried chicken is still SUPER YUMMY! We are actually talking about going next week while my kids are on spring break.