PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Dh is going to Ottawa for a conference and invited me to go with him. Not sure yet if I will b/c my passport just expired and not sure it is worth the expedited expense to tag along. Would it be a fun place to explore while dh is at meetings?

mikeys_mom
03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I'd go :)!

Lots of fun stuff to do there. I've only got a minute but off the top of my head, stuff I'd love to do there without kids (we go with the kids a lot);

- Museum of civilization - it's actually in Gatineau, QC but right across the river from downtown Ottawa. I'm pretty sure public transit goes there. They have an amazing children's museum but DH and I are always itching to go to the regular part of the museau
- Byward Market
- Parliament Hill
- Tulip festival - if you go in May (don't know the exact dates), there is the annual tulip festival. It's basically millions of tulips all over the place. Very pretty.

I will try to add links later.

mom2binsd
04-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes, go (I'm biased as I'm from Ottawa, but everyone who visits always tells me how wonderful the city is.

The tour of the Parliament Buildings is a must, Americans are always amazed at how different our "houses of government" are and you learn so much and it's very interesting.

The National Art Gallery is right downtown, it's beautiful.

The Byward Market is an outdoor market with indoor shops and restaurants etc. It's got flower vendors, etc.

If you have kids with you the Museum of Science and Technology and the Museum of Man are great (but you'd need a car to get to them).

The Rideau Canal and a boat cruise are also fun and you get to see the lock system.