PDA

View Full Version : Securing a TV in the backyard?

elektra
03-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Does anyone have a TV outside in their yard? Do you secure it at all to keep it from being stolen? Just not worry about it? What about weather proofing?

My dad just got a TV in his backyard and he is not sure if he should try to lock it down somehow.
He thought maybe he could file off the screw heads on the attachment piece or something.

hellokitty
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
BIL has one in his back patio, but it is under cover and wedged up next to his house from the weather. I have no clue if he secures it or not to keep it from getting stolen, he lives in a very wealthy neighborhood, so I'm not sure it's something he's really thought about.

Penny's Pappa
03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
After having several car stereos ripped out of my car, I am of the opinion that if a thief wants something they will take it, secured or not. Your dad could go ahead and mount the TV somewhere to make their job a little more difficult, but that's as far as I would go. Thieving is not a precision job; they're not going to unscrew the TV, they're going to just rip it off the wall and figure out the mount later.

BeachBum
03-29-2012, 07:05 AM
We had one for years. No we never secured it...it couldn't be seen from the street so I don't know how anyone would know it was back there. Ours was under roof, but still outside.
Ours was not a tv made for outside it was just a big Vizio.... We live in a humid area and had to leave the tv on at all times. that little bit of heat was enough to keep the moisture away. If we turned the tv off then it would get moisture in it and break. We also didn't have to deal with cold weather.