PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried "natural" ways to bring on labor

urbanmommy
03-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone's tried raspberry leaf tea or evening primrose oil? Any luck?
I've tried walking, doing the deed...I know my due date's not for another week but I've been 3-4 cm dilated and 50% effaced for the past two weeks. I'm having tons of contractions but they don't progress. So ready for baby.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Those 2 things just get the body ready for labor; EPO for effacement and RLT to tone the uterus/ make contx more effective. Your body seems pretty ready so I don't think they would be that great.

queenmama
03-30-2012, 11:11 PM
There are a few acupressure points that will stimulate your uterus but I hesitate to mention them... Do you have a local place that does acupuncture/acupressure?

urbanmommy
03-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Those 2 things just get the body ready for labor; EPO for effacement and RLT to tone the uterus/ make contx more effective. Your body seems pretty ready so I don't think they would be that great.

Yes, I feel like my body is very ready. Just waiting is so hard but I keep telling myself the end is near. Dd1 came on her due date but with all that's been going on I'm hopeful Dd2 will come sooner than that. I realize in the grand scheme of things a week isn't so long, yet every day feels like an eternity.

mikala
03-30-2012, 11:48 PM
This post reminds me of a blog post I just read about dilation and effacement:
http://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?p=1875

No experience with natural methods of bringing on labor but it sounds like your body is doing exactly what it should be doing to prepare. Sending you quick, uneventful labor and healthy baby mojo and I hope your remaining days pass quickly!

Tondi G
03-31-2012, 12:30 AM
The only thing I tried was Acupuncture ... and it worked! :)

You could try the THE Salad

http://www.maternitysalad.com/thesaladtestimonials.html

some people say spicy foods or eggplant parm. Sex is supposed to help cause of the prostaglandins in semen.

citymama
03-31-2012, 01:28 AM
I did. I tried:
EPO (no dice)
DTD (nope)
spicy food (nope)
acupuncture/massage (nada)
hiking, walking, exercise (didn't bring on labor but I believe it helped)
Finally, stripping the membranes did it. I didn't go there till 10 days after my due date though. Take it easy - labor will come on soon enough!

BabyBearsMom
03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
My midwife just put me on black cohosh and evening primrose oil. They don't bring on labor per se but help prepare the body for labor (soften cervix etc). You are supposed to start taking them at 37 weeks because they take time to work. I wouldn't take them without talking to a midwife/doc first but that is just me.

Pyrodjm
03-31-2012, 12:55 PM
The only thing I tried was Acupuncture ... and it worked.

Same here.

sntm
04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Acupuncture supposed to be very effective, but I doubt any reputable practitioner will do it until you are overdue.

I sympathize, though. I still have 5 1/2 weeks and I'm ready to be done! They obviously just need more cooking. Forget the labor induction stuff and go get a massage and pedicure.

Tondi G
04-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Acupuncture supposed to be very effective, but I doubt any reputable practitioner will do it until you are overdue.

I sympathize, though. I still have 5 1/2 weeks and I'm ready to be done! They obviously just need more cooking. Forget the labor induction stuff and go get a massage and pedicure.

I went a couple of days before my EDD. My OB was talking about inducing me on my EDD and I was not really into the idea of pitocin etc since I was hoping for a second natural drug free delivery. Acupuncture did the trick!

urbanmommy
04-01-2012, 08:23 PM
This post reminds me of a blog post I just read about dilation and effacement:
http://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?p=1875

No experience with natural methods of bringing on labor but it sounds like your body is doing exactly what it should be doing to prepare. Sending you quick, uneventful labor and healthy baby mojo and I hope your remaining days pass quickly!

Thanks for sharing this link. I guess I just have to accept that no matter what my body's
doing labor will start when it's supposed to.

Just hope it's supposed to be real soon...