PDA

View Full Version : Bitching about 5 Below

gummibear
04-01-2012, 02:55 AM
So DH & I shop around town to look for easter egg baskets and eventually end up at our local 5 Below. Their sunday paper flier advertised oversized baskets, 2 for $5, and near the door, sure enough, there is a huge bin full of baskets. Most of baskets are not marked with prices, but there's a huge sign saying "2 for $5 oversized baskets". So we pick out 2.

DH goes off to pay while I keep DS busy. There's only one person working the register, and the line is long. We finally make it over to DH, near the back, just as he finishes paying, and the cashier hands us the receipt. Total is $8 - the baskets ring up for $4 each. I say wait, aren't these 2 for $5? Cashier says 'No, they are the *other* baskets, the oversized baskets'. I say 'Ok then, I don't want 2, just 1'. She says 'We don't take returns. We can give you a merchandise credit'. I say something along the lines of 'Are you kidding me? Your baskets aren't clearly marked with prices, and the sign says 2 for $5 - it doesn't say which baskets are which.' Her reply? 'Well you should have asked me' (the only sales person we ever saw in the store, working the register on a long line of people) to which I reply emphatically, 'I am NOT shopping here again'.

What.The.Hxxx.

I understand a store having an all sales final policy - so people don't use items and return them. But seriously? This is a pricing issue. We're still at the counter, and no one else has been rung up - although all the customers in line behind us can hear me quite clearly. I'm well aware that she can void the transaction and redo it.

She starts glancing towards the back of the store, looking uncomfortable, making me think that someone else does indeed work there. I'm about to ask for a manager, but DH says to me 'It's ok, let's just go". So I end up leaving the store, after stating again that I am NEVER shopping there again, and I leave mad at the store, mad at the rude cashier - she could and should have been a LOT more polite about it IF policy is policy - I do understand that there are limits to what cashiers are allowed to do.

And I leave mad at DH for not backing me up. I've seen some of my sisters' husbands step up and take my sisters' sides in conflicts with outsiders. DH just pours water on my (f)ire, time and time again, and I end up getting mad at his pacifism, time and time again. Why??? :banghead:

He's super conflict-averse, but when he acts like this, it makes me feel like he's embarrassed to be with me, when I'm angry in public for [insert reason]. It hurts my feelings and doesn't make me feel protected at all. :crying: The kicker? We were just talking about this behavior this morning. Always promising he'll be more supportive next time...

momm
04-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Gosh I'm sorry. I would totally write to corporate and let them know the details, the store location and the date and time you were there. At least complain, and see what they do.

As for DH, I'm sorry. :( I hope he starts backing you up next time on. I feel you.

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Id be tempted to take a picture of the display, lack of tags and clip the add and mail to corporate along with the story. How crappy.

baboki
04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I think a negative review on Yelp is in order.

BTW, I have the same problem with my DH. It doesn't matter how anyone treats me in public, he will never take my side and never has my back. It has been an ongoing issue.