PDA

View Full Version : Not a fan of autism awareness day

mytwosons
04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this....

I've never liked autism awareness day. Actually, I dread this day. I do not need to be reminded of how autism can devestate a family. We spent over $100k in three years on my son - devestating our marriage and putting us into bankruptcy. I don't regret our choices, since we have our son back, but it was devestating and we continue to spend a good amount of $ on supplements. I live in fear that an illness, surgery, puberty, or something else will put my son into a downward spiral and we'll lose him again. I just want to forget that we didn't get to enjoy a typical childhood with him.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

ETA: I truly hope I didn't insult anyone - not my intention.

swrc00
04-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I can only imagine what this day is like for you. :grouphug: I know what it is like to struggle financially when it comes to health concerns. My husband has had Cancer and I have a chronic illness.
I teach Autistic children and that is why I encourage others to Light It Up Blue.

swrc00
04-02-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't thing you have insulted anyone. This is what the BBB is for. :hug:

Gena
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I understand.

I am not a fan of "autism awareness" stuff that is actually a lot of fear-mongering about how terrible autism is. Most of the stuff from Autism Speaks falls into this category and that is one (of several) reasons why I do not support that organization.

There is a growing movement among autistic individuals and their families to change "Autism Awareness Day/Month" to "Autism Acceptance Day/Month". This movement does not dismiss the difficulties that people with autism and their families face or the need for education and services. But it emphasizes the positive personhood of individuals with autism and advocates for their rights.

http://thinkingautismguide.blogspot.com/2012/04/autistics-slice-of-life-autism.html
http://autismacceptanceday.blogspot.com/2012/03/autism-acceptance-day-and-month-updates.html
http://autisticadvocacy.org/2012/03/autism-acceptance-events-and-their-history/

My son is not typical and never will be. He faces a lot of challenges. But he is an extraordinary person with some remarkable qualities. I think a lot of "normal" people can learn a lot of things from people like my son.

elliput
04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
:hug::hug::hug: Completely understandable. My thought on this is that spreading awareness will make acceptance easier for the general population.

snowbunnies300
04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I understand. :hug: I have three autistic children.

We are all dressed in blue today. I like that our school asked children to wear blue and are having discussions today about autism and how an autistic child may seem different but to celebrate all of our differences. My children do not participate in ABA therapy. We decided it was not a good fit for our them. My boys go to public school and then attend a non-profit therapy center about 25 miles away from our home 2 x a week for a total of 4 hours of therapy. My oldest will more than likely never talk. He is 9 and just start to show that he is able to match words to picturs so we believe he will be able to read. My middle son is 7 and talks but mainly parrots what he hears. My youngest 5 does not talk at all be we have hope that he will. All three have stimming and other autistic behaviors that cause people to look/stare at us in public.

I guess for me I want people to know that autistic people are just like them. They love, hurt, eat, sleep, play just like anyone else. They just do it in a different way. I want people to know that my child has worth and should not be put aside as a "shame" that they weren't born "normal". I want people to accept that not everyone is the same.

I also agree with Gena that I do not support Autism Speaks or any other organization that spreads fear-mongering. I have no time for them. I want to hear from those in the "trenches" so to speak. The educators, the doctors, the therapists who have been dealing with autistic individuals for years. What do they have to say and how can me make our children the best that they can be.

So I understand your position. I really do and I pray that your son continues to progress up and up and up. That is not necessarily a reality for me and all three of my boys therefore I need people to understand autism and how it affects my children.

mytwosons
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I understand. :hug: I have three autistic children.

We are all dressed in blue today. I like that our school asked children to wear blue and are having discussions today about autism and how an autistic child may seem different but to celebrate all of our differences. My children do not participate in ABA therapy. We decided it was not a good fit for our them. My boys go to public school and then attend a non-profit therapy center about 25 miles away from our home 2 x a week for a total of 4 hours of therapy. My oldest will more than likely never talk. He is 9 and just start to show that he is able to match words to picturs so we believe he will be able to read. My middle son is 7 and talks but mainly parrots what he hears. My youngest 5 does not talk at all be we have hope that he will. All three have stimming and other autistic behaviors that cause people to look/stare at us in public.

I guess for me I want people to know that autistic people are just like them. They love, hurt, eat, sleep, play just like anyone else. They just do it in a different way. I want people to know that my child has worth and should not be put aside as a "shame" that they weren't born "normal". I want people to accept that not everyone is the same.

I also agree with Gena that I do not support Autism Speaks or any other organization that spreads fear-mongering. I have no time for them. I want to hear from those in the "trenches" so to speak. The educators, the doctors, the therapists who have been dealing with autistic individuals for years. What do they have to say and how can me make our children the best that they can be.

So I understand your position. I really do and I pray that your son continues to progress up and up and up. That is not necessarily a reality for me and all three of my boys therefore I need people to understand autism and how it affects my children.

:hug: That was a beautifully worded post.

inmypjs
04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Just wanted to say sorry it's a hard day for you.