PDA

View Full Version : Time to FF?

ExcitedMamma
04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
We measured DS in his car seat this weekend and he is within one inch of the shell of his Britax Advocate (thanks so much for measuring advice LegalEagle!). Is it officially time to FF? I am very nervous about this because of how much safer RF is and I thought he'd be closer to 3 before we had to turn him which is one of the reason I chose the seat because I thought he could RF longer in it. He is about 36 in and 31 lbs now does that sound about right to have exceeded the RF limit? We are going on a road trip for Easter so I want to make sure that we have the seat correctly installed if we need to switch it around. Thank you!

AnnieW625
04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
My DD2 is somewhere between 34-36" tall and she is still rear facing and has a few more inches of rfing time in her BLVD, which is identical to the Advocate less the SICT padding. Can you post a photo of your son in the seat?

Another girl at DD2's daycare is at least 36-38" tall and is still rear facing in a BLVD.

IMHO if you need to turn him around them that is okay, don't feel bad, but I just have a sneaking suspicion you might have more time left.

Joolsplus2
04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Are you measuring right? It's possible if he has a super long torso (wearing size 3 and 4 shirts already?) that it could be outgrown that short, but generally it's just kind of hard to learn to measure against the shell of the seat, here's a picture with what you want to look for... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201 (imagine there is NO headrest in your seat, that makes it seem like there's much less space, just measure against the shell).
And echoing Annie, it's really fine to FF now, just be sure to install right and top tether your seat. Or we can help you find a deal on a taller RF seat, we are always game to help other mamas shop :rotflmao: (oh and here's another picture, still not a Boulevard, but the headrest is dialed down to the level of the shell to show this taller kid still RF in her new style MA... http://carseatblog.com/6527/britax-marathon-70-review-part-ii-with-lots-of-pics/)

legaleagle
04-02-2012, 01:37 PM
That does sound a little short to be outgrowing it. DS2 is probably close to 37" and has been in 3T shirts for months and still has several inches in the marathon. I'm sure you've done this already, but is all the infant padding removed? How upright is the seat installed (more upright often buys you a bit of time because they slump down a bit)? Did you measure him with the harness tightened?

BabyBearsMom
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
It's possible that he is at the 1 inch mark. My DD is about the same height as your DS, but most of her height is in her legs. She only has maybe 2 inches left before she has grown out of the seat by height. So if your son is carrying his height in his torso it is entirely possible that it is time to turn him. ETA - This is in the BLVD classic.