PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Forester Recall - Help!

Marriedladytara
04-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I’ve just learned that my 2009 Subaru Forester has been recalled because the rear center seat belt won’t latch correctly in the event of an accident. I’ve also learned that a fix isn’t available until 2013!

I’m using a Britax Decathlon from 2007 and I’m thinking that if the seat has lock-offs, the recall doesn’t affect me as much as I might have thought?

Here’s my questions:
(1) How do I know whether I have lock-offs, and if I don’t, can I use a simple belt-locking clip instead until the recall is fixed?
(2) Is my child safe using either a metal belt-locking locking clip, or getting a new seat with lock-offs built-in, until the recall is fixed?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
04-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I asked some of my carseat expert friends, I'll try to get back to you soon. Do you have a link to the recall information so I can peruse it?

Marriedladytara
04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I think this should have the information:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=12V099000&summary=true&PrintVersion=YES

Joolsplus2
04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Ok, click here and scroll to pages 20/21... http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/cms/file/Decathlon_P276000_R2.pdf
I half suspect your lockoff is already in use, but it's just that little tab that flips and grips the seatbelt. (Oh, I'm assuming FF use, do scroll around for the RF page if need be) (I think the fixes can start being done 4/13/2012, unless I'm reading that NHTSA page wrong or your dealer told you otherwise already).
Hope that helps!

Marriedladytara
04-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much. So here's my question: it looks like we're using the Britax lock-off already, just like you said!

Is that just as safe as a seatbelt that locks? Does that "over-ride" my need to worry about the recall? Obviously we'll get the belt fixed asap, but if the recall is "only" about the automatic locking retractor (ALR), are we ok for now?

We're half-way out the door to buy a new car. Literally. We'd rather do that than risk safety of our child, period.

Joolsplus2
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I had a feeling you might already be using your lockoff :). Yes, it's really literally only about the automatic mode. If the 'emergency' part of the belt were failing, that would be super serious, but this is just 'pretend it's an old belt and doesn't lock, use a locking clip or lockoff and you are fine' (that is, lockoffs, automatic locking belts, and locking clips are all 'pre crash positioners', they just hold the seat in place so the emergency part can work properly in an actual emergency---braking or crash that makes the pendulum inside the retractor click).

pastrygirl
04-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Can you move the seat outboard? The outboard seat belts are fine. (But I'm jealous -- I've never been able to get anything installed in the center of my 2009 Forester. It might be because I have the XT/leather with the drop-down armrest thingy.)

Marriedladytara
04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
We can, except I'm under the impression that outboard isn't as safe as middle. Since we can fit the seat (no XT, no leather, no armrest), we do. I would always go middle unless I didn't have to, even with side curtain airbags.