PDA

View Full Version : Best DisneyLAND resources

BayGirl2
04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
So DH and I started thinking that maybe we are ready to do a Disney trip this year. I always felt we'd wait until the kids "are old enough" but DS is at an age where he is starting to really enjoy that kind of stuff. Our other resort vacation plans don't seem to be panning out this year and we'd really like to get away. DH pointed out that DisneyLand does not need to be a "once in a lifetime" trip for us, its within driving distance so we can go every few years while the kids are in different stages. Maybe one big trip to DisneyWorld when they are older.

Perfect! So we're thinking maybe Sept-ish. There are so many threads and boards and my internet time has been limited. I'm not sure where to start, and so much seems DW focused. I've only been to California Adventure once, and to DW several times. Looking for some tips on:

- Is it worth staying on property at DL?
- Any feedback on the Starwood/Sheraton hotels nearby? (I have points)
- Best resource for crowd data (paid or unpaid, ideally) to choose travel dates
- Best site for tips on going with a 1 YO and 3 YO?
- Best resources for ride/show planning by age?
- Any suggestions to find a babysitter while we're there so we can do dinner one night?

Thanks! I only made it through a few pages of posts and I'm out of time, could really use some time saving direction!

smiles33
04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I did way too much research on DISBoards for our Sept. 2011 trip with a 2 and 5 year old. We had a fantastic time and I think Sept. was ideal (especially since your kids aren't in school yet and you still have decent weather).

Read my Trip Report on DISBoards for more details here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2797260).

In response to your questions:

- We wanted a suite, which is exorbitant on-site. If your DC can sleep while you stay awake or you can afford the suite, stay on-site. Otherwise, you'll find tables (on DISBoards and elsewhere) of the exact distance from on-site hotels to the DLR or CA turnstiles and it's not bad at all to stay across the street at off-site hotels. Nothing like WDW and the ferry/bus issues. HoJo is not the typical place we vacation, but I really liked and was impressed by their Kids Suite option.

- I don't know how far the Starwood/Sheraton hotels are, but note that DISBoards strongly urge you stay within walking distance to avoid the whole parking lot shuttle/parking traffic issue. We also went back for naps (as I assume you might unless your 1 year old naps well in a stroller).

- I used DISBoards (free) for researching everything but you have to wade through a lot of threads, even with the search function. There are great threads about toddler-friendly itineraries and old-timers will even give feedback on the ORDER you try to tackle the rides (as Fantasyland is likely a high priority with such young kids).

- We didn't use a babysitter so I don't have suggestions, but I think I read that the on-site resorts may have that option.

HAVE FUN!

BayGirl2
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi Smiles33 - I actually saw your link here to your Trip Report and read it last night, great info! I'm from the Bay Area too.

There are 2 Sheraton's right near the resort, one says its within walking distance, I'll have to check where they are on the map compared to HoJo. Both my kids will nap in the stroller so we have that to our advantage, but I still would prefer walking distance. I've just never found anything in SoCal all that walkable in reality!

We usually prefer to get a condo when we vacation so DH and I can sleep in a separate room and stay up later. Not sure we can get that with the Sheraton's, or that the pools will be as nice as Disney. But we'll need to decide if its worth paying for a room when I can get one for free. DH's point is that a lot of the more expensive things (character breakfast, BBB, water slides, etc.) we can do on another trip since our kids are too young now to really enjoy them.

I'll do some more searching on the DISBoards, sounds like thats a good resource. Thanks!

Karenn
04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
We're in the middle of planning our next DL trip so I'm all about DL right now. :)

I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel twice and at the Super 8 twice. Can't get much more extreme than that! :) I really love staying at the DLH. I love the whole atmosphere at the hotel. If it were a once in a lifetime trip, or the hotel were reasonably in my budget, I'd do it. That said, we're staying across the street on Harbor for our next trip. (Kinda in between DLH and Super8 ;) ) I bet you could get some good deals in September which might make staying on site worthwhile.

- Best resource for crowd data (paid or unpaid, ideally) to choose travel dates
I paid for a subscription to Touring Plans.com. It was only about $5. I aw a coupon code somewhere, maybe mousesavers? People on the Dis boards say their crowd info isn't as accurate for Disneyland, but it still gives me an idea of when the bad and good times are to go. You can get a sense for what kind of info they have by clicking around without a membership. Other people like RideMax, but it's twice as $$. You can also find all you need to know from the Disboards, it just takes a little more time to track down the info, imo.

- Best resources for ride/show planning by age?
I've used the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland for nearly all of my trips and it's served me well as a teenager, newlywed, & parent of preschoolers. These are the same people as the touringplans.com people so they may have overlapping info, I haven't looked. It was particularly useful when we were trying to figure out which rides would be too scary for my sensitive preschoolers.

One last thing, you were talking about walking distance. I've been using google maps to get a better idea of hotel walking distance this year. When you pull up the map of disneyland you can drag that little yellow man on the left onto the map and it actually feels like you're walking down the street. I feel like it gives you a much better sense of how walkable certain hotels really are.

Happy planning!

AnnieW625
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I stayed at what is now the Paradise Pier Hotel way back in jr. high in 1990 for a band trip. It was fun, because I can say I stayed at Disneyland. Recently I have thought it would be fun to spend just a night at the resort, but since I live 20 minutes away I have never actually done it. Staying on property might be worth it if you know that you will want to easily get back to the room for naps.

- Any feedback on the Starwood/Sheraton hotels nearby? (I have points)
The Sheraton on Manchester (?, I think that is the right street, or it's Harbor) just north of Ball is probably a 20-25 minute walk to the main gate. If you have a double stroller I think it is doable (when we had our double and a single with just DD1 it was a 10 minute walk from the parking garage; walking is actually easier than waiting for the tram). I have never actually done it, but from the location that's what it looks like the walk would be. I think there is a Westin time share, or is it a Wyndham not too far from the park. There are other hotels all around the area though and BubbaRay really liked her stay at Best Western right near the park, I know she did a trip report from her Mar-April, 2011 trip. The Best Western Anaheim is litterally right across from the Harbor Blvd. park entrance.

Best resource for crowd data (paid or unpaid, ideally) to choose travel dates
I am unpaid:) We have had really great times when we have gone in late January, the first or second Sunday in February (although I have heard it is really crowded on Super Bowl), early May as long as it is not Mothers Day, and during the holidays we've gone a few times the day before Thanksgiving and it has been nice too. We went one year on my birthday June 25th and for being summer it wasn't bad at all. Mid September is also nice, and probably what I would do because you don't have to worry about your kids going to school.

Best site for tips on going with a 1 YO and 3 YO?
I would guess plan on taking a break around noon and going back around 3:30 daily. I also don't know if I would do more than 3 days with kids that age. I would do two at MK and one at California Adventure. We have never done back to back Disney though. The last time I did back to back Disney was that trip 22 yrs. ago.

Best resources for ride/show planning by age?
go to the Fantasyland rides first thing in the AM, they get really crowded really fast. I would make Dumbo your first ride. We don't usually do the shows, but if we happen to be somewhere when the parade goes by we will stop and watch it. I believe there is an afternoon parade at 4 pm and they close of a lot of the side walks, so good places to watch it are near Fantasyland by the Matterhorn, and by the main gate. I'd do the main gate as it would be good if you are coming back from the hotel from a nap. They have various parades that go through California Adventure, but I don't know what times they are at. I have not seen it yet, but last week when we were there DD1 stayed later with some friends and saw the Aladdin show and she really liked it. Rumor is though that it might get replaced with something else.

Any suggestions to find a babysitter while we're there so we can do dinner one night? I am sure there are sitting services in the area, but I have never used one, but I also know they offer sitting services at the DLRs so because of the age of your kids and because of the proximity I might consider staying at one of the DLRs for this trip.

AnnieW625
04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
dup. post. sorry.

jbbhb
04-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Even though we are local, we have stayed at one of the Sheraton's near Disneyland frequently (there are a few). I know they provide a free shuttle but the walk is very doable. We have done it several times in one day, including the day I ran my first half marathon. The pool area is just a regular hotel pool area, but otherwise we love the hotel. They have a sandwich shop that is open late-ish that we love. I would highly recommend it, especially if you have points. It is this one...

They upgraded us to a suite once when we had the baby with us, and it worked out perfectly.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=995

BayGirl2
04-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Even though we are local, we have stayed at one of the Sheraton's near Disneyland frequently (there are a few). I know they provide a free shuttle but the walk is very doable. We have done it several times in one day, including the day I ran my first half marathon. The pool area is just a regular hotel pool area, but otherwise we love the hotel. They have a sandwich shop that is open late-ish that we love. I would highly recommend it, especially if you have points. It is this one...

They upgraded us to a suite once when we had the baby with us, and it worked out perfectly.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=995

Thanks. I was looking at that one but it seemed less walkable, but nice and gets good reviews.

The Sheraton Park seems like its closer. https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1569

Tondi G
04-09-2012, 01:50 AM
I've stayed at the Park Sheraton a few years ago, DH had a conference and the kids and I stayed with him for a couple of nights. I don't know that it's THAT walkable (we didn't walk) after a long day in the park we didn't want to think about adding another 10-20 min walk back to our hotel. I know the Hilton right next door offers a shuttle service to the parks though. My neighbor stayed at the Sheraton Anaheim and really liked it. You get a good view of fireworks from their parking lot.

We have stayed at both the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. We LOVE the Disneyland Hotel. It is convenient and close to the Monorail station. The new renovated rooms are AWESOME (those beds are SO comfy!). The new water slide pool area is really cool (your 3 yr old would probably love it). We have annual passes and we have stayed at the D-land Hotel every summer (at the end of summer) for a couple of nights ... it has become a tradition. I HIGHLY recommend the Disneyland Hotel if you can swing it. There is just something magical about it .... really a true "Disney" experience. You have Downtown Disney right there with restaurants and shops (live music etc).

September is a great time to go. Keep in mind that the new CARS LAND opens in mid June at the California Adventure.