PDA

View Full Version : Are cardigans supposed to fit like this?

crl
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I was trying on sweaters yesterday and tried on this one (or one much like it).

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?zoomImage=21121161_alt2&id=prdi28130&catId=cat80002&rootCategory=cat70008&sortKey=Default&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70008&section=Regular

It fit nicely when unbuttoned, but had to stretch to button over my hips. Now, I do have big hips and a flat chest, but I also have fairly broad shoulders. My LE Canas cardigan fits similarly. So I'm wondering if they are supposed to fit that way and people just don't button them? Maybe not and it just isn't a good cut on me?

Thanks,
Catherine

amom526
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I have the same problem with cardigans - I also have really wide hips. They seem to fit better on other people.

SnuggleBuggles
04-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't button cardigans. But I can. And if I can't, I'd still buy but wear open. Style preference, I guess.

meggie t
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
I usually don't button the bottom 1 or 2 buttons. But the other buttons should button properly for a good fit.

crl
04-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Okay. Well I certainly CAN button them. But the knit stretches a bit around my hips, while it is still very loose around the waist and a bit loose over the chest. I don't think it looks good buttoned on me. I don't think sizing up would work as I think the cardigans would be too big in the shoulders then. I don't have this problem with blazers. . . .

Thanks,
Catherine

wendibird22
04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I usually don't button the bottom 1 or 2 buttons. But the other buttons should button properly for a good fit.

:yeahthat:

I'm petite and pear shaped so many non-petite cut cardis hit me low.

citymama
04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I find button up cardis don't work so well on flat chested, pear shaped women. They're loose at the chest and boxy at the hips. I like the drape/waterfall style cardis a lot, but not the buttons unless they're cropped (with dresses or other tops). That said, I do wear my Boden cardis a lot, even the button up kind.

ETA I definitely avoid V Neck cardis (but love v-neck pullovers). Zip ups with round necks work best.

BayGirl2
04-04-2012, 01:41 PM

:yeahthat: I button the ones in the upper middle around my natural waist and leave the lower half around my hips unbuttoned. Depending on the neckline I usually don't button the top button or two either. I am pear shaped and I feel like this emphasizes my waist better, more of an hourglass.

I'm no fashionista but I think that looks good.

secchick
04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I generally button the bottom ones, and not the top ones, but I am a petite hourglass and am busty (D-F depending on whether I am currently BFing), so NOTHING fits me in the bust. I leave those open, if they are there, plenty of styles only button lower, and button all the ones on the bottom. None are ever too long or tight to fit properly in the hips. I can't wear a cardigan without a camisole or tank, though, like the model, because everything stretches out and pulls the buttonholes if I ever tried to wear one alone.

Ms B
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
It depends on your frame and body type and the cardigan's cut. I do not buy or wear v-neck cardigans because I find that they pull at the bust and sag at the hip, but that's me. I try to stick to round neck cardingans, preferably with raglan sleeves (as opposed to set in sleeves) for the most ease through the bust and a cropped cut so that they taper at my naturally short waist. With your build, you may be happier with round neck cardigans that end above the hip to avoid the pulling or duster cardis that fall to mid-thigh or longer and are meant to be worn open that cover the whole hip area. There are some really cute longer cardis in the new J.Jill catalog . . .

crl
04-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks you all.

Catherine

swissair81
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm not flat chested, but I have narrow shoulders and wider hips. Cardigans are worn open over here with maybe one button done if I am having a skinny day.