PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom furniture

momtoann
04-05-2012, 10:25 AM
We need a guest bedroom furniture, a bed frame and side tables for guest bedroom and would like to keep it low cost as its for a guest bedroom which won't be used regularly. Which is a best place to get a low price. Our style is transitional.

smiles33
04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
How low are you trying to go? Costco occasionally has some great furniture pieces, but it's not super cheap ($600 for bed, $200 for nightstand). In my area, I know there are a bunch of warehouses that sell new furniture directly to consumers on Craigslist offering packages that are like $1000 for a 5 piece bedroom set (2 nightstands, queen bed, and a dresser). Not sure what the quality is like (probably not dovetailed joinery!).

lowrioh
04-05-2012, 11:33 AM
If you live in a big metro area you should seriously look at Craigslist. I have seen Ethan Allen bedroom sets for $500.

jellibeans
04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
We ordered a bed frame from amazon. It doesn't have a headboard. Then we bought a dresser at Ikea.

NJ_Mom2011
04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I also vouch for Ikea on dressers. We own the HEMNES white, 3 drawer chest, and it looks pretty and has held up. It seemed to me that Ikea's dressers were more durable than those sold at Bob's Discount, Target, or other discount furniture stores in my area. If I had a guest room, the Hemnes day bed would seem perfect. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30080316/ That particular model was the only one that I liked at Ikea, and would agree with jellibeans that Amazon may be a good place to look for a bed frame.

lowrioh
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I also vouch for Ikea on dressers. We own the HEMNES white, 3 drawer chest, and it looks pretty and has held up. It seemed to me that Ikea's dressers were more durable than those sold at Bob's Discount, Target, or other discount furniture stores in my area. If I had a guest room, the Hemnes day bed would seem perfect. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30080316/ That particular model was the only one that I liked at Ikea, and would agree with jellibeans that Amazon may be a good place to look for a bed frame.

I love the look of the Hemnes daybed but my friend got one for her guest room and the platform for the trundle part broke the first time they used it. Ikea gave them a completely refund but they had to disassemble and haul it back to the store which was a huge PITA.

I am a huge Ikea fan but this bed might have a design flaw wrt the trundle

elbenn
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Ikea or overstock

willow33
04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I would buy an upholstered headboard for the bed and just use a bed frame. Find some cool and unique table for nightstands and maybe get a bench for the end of the bed. You will spend much less money and it will look amazing!

We found our upholstered headboard at costco (chocolate brown tufted), a bench at Home Goods and some demi-lune tables at a local furniture store to use as nightstands.

NJ_Mom2011
04-05-2012, 03:02 PM
I love the look of the Hemnes daybed but my friend got one for her guest room and the platform for the trundle part broke the first time they used it. Ikea gave them a completely refund but they had to disassemble and haul it back to the store which was a huge PITA.

I am a huge Ikea fan but this bed might have a design flaw wrt the trundle

Drats. Too bad. But I am glad that I now know to stay away!