PDA

View Full Version : Are Rainbow playsets worth the premium?

arivecchi
04-07-2012, 09:08 AM
We are looking at one of their box sets. They have 40% off and $99 installation right now.

If you think they are not worth it, where did you get yours?

We need installation to be included as I am not even attempting doing that myself or having DH do it.

arivecchi
04-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Bump.

Anyone have one? Should I post in the lounge instead?

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Where did you find the sale??? We don't have a Rainbow, but I seem to recall they are bigger than other sets height-wise. I'd love to have one that would last a little longer and have more space between the swings. Not sure if we'll disassemble and move ours or buy a new one for the next house...what a pain.

AngelaS
04-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I have a CedarWorks. It was worth the cost.

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I have a CedarWorks. It was worth the cost.That's what we have too - a Play-A-Round, so the affordable one, lol.

elbenn
04-07-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't have a Rainbow swingset, so I can't tell you if they are worth it, but I have always heard really good things about their swingsets. I bought a Gorilla swingset and it is very nice. You can always hire someone to install it. This is the model:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-Playsets-Double-Grand-Wooden-Swing-Set/14659160

ourbabygirl
04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
We have a Rainbow- bought it in October of '10- and we really, really like it. Use it almost every day, even though we live in the frigid midwest (so I guess every day, about March-November :)). We got it at the Rainbow store; it was on sale since it was pretty much end of season and also a floor model. We of course ended up spending more than we planned when we went in there, but did so because we wanted one that was big, strong, and sturdy enough for adults to go on, too... so the wood planks in it are bigger than the typical ones, as well as the bolts, etc., and I don't remember what else. Also added on a slide and switched out the rainbow-colored awnings, etc. for dark green (so the swings, slides, and two awnings on top of the 'play fort' areas are dark green.
Ours has a rope disc swing on the very end, two baby swings (we bought the 2nd baby swing after the fact), two regular swings (which DH and I swing on with the kids), two slides (one bigger & much faster than the other), a two-level fort, climbing wall, sandbox, and picnic table.

We didn't look around much at ones that you'd have to assemble yourself- DH didn't want to deal with it, and they installed ours for free. We also looked around a bit at used Rainbows (there's a guy very closed to us who buys other peoples' Rainbows and refurbishes them in his back yard). But we wanted the warranty/ guarantee of the Rainbow company, and wanted their people to install it for us to make sure it would be level, etc. We also liked just being able to go to the store, try out all the different ones, talk through the pros and cons of different models, look through their catalogs, and pick out exactly what we wanted.

So yeah, I'd say it's been one of our best investments, especially since we got it when the kids were 2 & newborn, and a year and a half later, we use it a ton for ourselves, for play dates, bday parties, etc. I'd say the biggest hits with our kids are the swings and the sandbox, though when we have play dates, the other kids really love the swings and the fort-type things on top (there's a fake telescope and spinning pirate's wheel).

Sorry I got so wordy, but HTH! :)

arivecchi
04-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

WTG, our local rainbow dealer has the sale through April 16.

arivecchi
04-14-2012, 11:08 AM
After lots of research, I think we are going to go with a Gorilla playset. Love the Rainbow ones, but the ones we like are all over $6k!!!

arivecchi
04-14-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't have a Rainbow swingset, so I can't tell you if they are worth it, but I have always heard really good things about their swingsets. I bought a Gorilla swingset and it is very nice. You can always hire someone to install it. This is the model:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-Playsets-Double-Grand-Wooden-Swing-Set/14659160
I think we are getting this one!

elbenn
04-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I think we are getting this one!

The set is great. It is very solid and so much fun!

arivecchi
04-14-2012, 06:20 PM
The set is great. It is very solid and so much fun!
Did you pay someone to assemble it? If so, how much did installation cost? We got a quote of $625.

infomama
04-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Just saw this... we have a rainbow set and we absolutely love it. we waited for the 99 dollar installation special as well and it was so worth it. we bought ours from a freestanding Rainbow showroom.... I didn't know they sold them at walmart. I assume it's the same company.

arivecchi
04-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks. We decided not to get the rainbow one. The one sold by walmart is a gorilla set.

elbenn
04-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Did you pay someone to assemble it? If so, how much did installation cost? We got a quote of $625.

We paid about $650, but that included levelling the land because there was an incline. I think if it would have been put on level land, it would have cost around $450-500.

arivecchi
05-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Thought I'd update. Ended up getting this one:

http://www.willygoat.com/catalogsingle.asp?productID=3975&at=c5Big_Skye_Swing_Set_I

I visited this page a couple of times, registered and added the set to my cart. They emailed me a coupon for $150 off after I did that so I ordered it. It was the best price that I could find online with the discount.

HTH someone.