PDA

View Full Version : uugghhh...not liking GAP jeans anymore

newg
04-07-2012, 03:38 PM
So now where do I buy my jeans?! I have bought my jeans from GAP since college, but lately their styles have gone way beyond they basic style I like.

I am now in need of new jeans and I don't know where to turn.......and I hate spending hours trying on jeans.
I liked GAP jeans because they always had a nice, wide (flare) style that fit my non-exsistant hips and athletic legs.

Any suggestions on where I should look?

KrisM
04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
I still buy Gap, but from ebay. I've been able to find new with tags in the style and size a few times now without too much waiting.

DrSally
04-07-2012, 06:22 PM
So, i assume you've tried the long n leans? Lots of brands now carry flares. You could even check old navy.

TwinFoxes
04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Try Lucky Brand. You can buy them on Zappos, so free shipping/free returns.

mjmamma
04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
So now where do I buy my jeans?! I have bought my jeans from GAP since college, but lately their styles have gone way beyond they basic style I like.

I am now in need of new jeans and I don't know where to turn.......and I hate spending hours trying on jeans.
I liked GAP jeans because they always had a nice, wide (flare) style that fit my non-exsistant hips and athletic legs.

Any suggestions on where I should look?

I would second the suggestion for trying on the Gap's Long & Lean or curvy. What I've found is that premium jeans, and Lucky Brand, are mostly using thin, stretch jean and that's no bueno for me. I recently bought a L&L Trouser style and they worked great.

ilfaith
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I have been wearing Gap jeans for years (Decades!) What I have found to be annoying is that while styles have had the same name for a while ("Long & Lean," "Perfect Boot," etc.) the rise, cut or fabrics may change from one season to another. I actually have owned Long & Leans in every size from 4 down to 00...I have not gotten smaller...the jeans have gotten bigger (thanks to vanity sizing...I mean when did 00 even become a size?). I have boot cuts from Gap from a few years ago that are a heavier, less stretchy fabric than the ones I tried on recently. Even jeans from the same season can vary in fit just because of the rinse or color. I have two pairs of skinny jeans I bought last fall...same style, same size...one black and one blue, and they fit entirely differently. It is frustrating. I still think Gap makes a good jean for the price (especially since they are so often discounted). But it would be nice if I could rely on "my" size to fit every time.

mjmamma
04-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I have been wearing Gap jeans for years (Decades!) What I have found to be annoying is that while styles have had the same name for a while ("Long & Lean," "Perfect Boot," etc.) the rise, cut or fabrics may change from one season to another. I actually have owned Long & Leans in every size from 4 down to 00...I have not gotten smaller...the jeans have gotten bigger (thanks to vanity sizing...I mean when did 00 even become a size?). I have boot cuts from Gap from a few years ago that are a heavier, less stretchy fabric than the ones I tried on recently. Even jeans from the same season can vary in fit just because of the rinse or color. I have two pairs of skinny jeans I bought last fall...same style, same size...one black and one blue, and they fit entirely differently. It is frustrating. I still think Gap makes a good jean for the price (especially since they are so often discounted). But it would be nice if I could rely on "my" size to fit every time.

I agree, it makes it difficult to purchase the right size when shopping online. I recently bought a size 2 at the Gap, that's laughable. I may be a 6 now but no where near a 2!

citymama
04-09-2012, 01:37 AM

:yeahthat: I've owned and liked Gap jeans in the past but I *really* love my Luckys. I tried the Sweet N Low on the reccommendation of others on BBB and it's a really good style for me. Mid rise (despite the name) and a flattering fit. I did manage to try in store first but I need up waiting till Lucky had a biannual 30% off online to buy (around thanksgiving). If you sign up for their enail list you get 10% off your first order and if you watch the emails there are often 20% off codes. I agree with TwinFoxes, though, if you need to figure out your size, zappos (or store) is the way to go. I needed to size down and get the short inseam (I'm 5 6").

newg
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I have tried the long 'n lean in the past and it still wasn't as much flare as I like. Part of my problem is I am 5'5'' and my feet are a size 10...so I really like a nice flare to help hide my large feet :)

My favorite pair of Gap jeans is a trouser style (L&L I think)....just a little bit of stretch and a nice, heavier fabric, and a wonderful, wide leg. They are at least 6 yrs old now and starting to fray at the bottoms. I have not seen a trouser jean like that at Gap without there being something funky on it........the rise (or lack of), odd pockets, color, a huge hippie-style leg flare, or the fabric is super thin....
I have a pair of Lucky brand capris that I love....and they're a size 2!! Total vanity sizing...because I'm a solid 4/6 in everything else I try on. I've heard that with Lucky jeans, you could be a different size in every style......
I've never liked old navy......there is always a huge gap in the back, no matter what style I try....or they're so low you can see more of my "back" than I'd like ;)

lowrioh
04-09-2012, 03:01 PM

:yeahthat:
I got my first pair of Lucky jeans after hearing about them here and I am very happy. I got mine on Amazon with free shipping and free returns.

citymama
04-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I have a pair of Lucky brand capris that I love....and they're a size 2!! Total vanity sizing...because I'm a solid 4/6 in everything else I try on. I've heard that with Lucky jeans, you could be a different size in every style......

Maybe this is why I love Lucky so! I'm currently wearing a sz 0/26 although there's no way in heck I am a sz 0! I'm usually a 4.

peanut520
04-10-2012, 12:05 AM
i switched from gap to lucky jeans about 10 years ago and havent looked back. i usually find great deals at the outlets because the trend has been skinny jeans and i prefer plain straight leg jeans or boot cut (slight flare). and yes the sizing changes from style to style.

citymama
04-10-2012, 02:15 AM
i switched from gap to lucky jeans about 10 years ago and havent looked back. i usually find great deals at the outlets because the trend has been skinny jeans and i prefer plain straight leg jeans or boot cut (slight flare). and yes the sizing changes from style to style.

Outlets? There are Lucky outlets? I like the bootcut style as well.

newg
04-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Outlets? There are Lucky outlets? I like the bootcut style as well.

yes, where do you find outlets? There is a regular store in the mall near me....but it screams "not a mom store!" :ROTFLMAO:

mjmamma
04-10-2012, 09:47 PM
We have an outlet in Kittery Maine but I find those to be the Made In Mexico Lucky (as opposed to the USA) and not as fun as the store jeans...but I haven't been in a while either.