PDA

View Full Version : C/C refund question

AJP
04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm expecting a refund on my card but I had some fraudulent charges and my c/c company issued me a new card number. Does anyone know the procedure for this? Would the credit still go through or do I need to contact the company issuing the refund? I can't imagine them just agreeing to credit a different card number than the original one. TIA

LD92599
04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
The credit card co should handle it; i know amex does and we just ad 1 card replaced this week.

AJP
04-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks. So they do it on their own or would I have to give them a heads up?

FedBaby
04-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't know about in this kind of a situation, but I've returned things after I canceled a credit card and many stores have allowed me to have the money put back on another credit card -- as long as it was the same type (MC-MC or Visa-Visa, etc.)

jvs195
04-07-2012, 08:36 PM
If it's a refund of a purchase made when the old card was active it should still apply to the account without needing the new #. Your cc company should handle it.

ett
04-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Yes, the refund should go through no problem.

ckso
04-08-2012, 07:12 AM
I don't know about in this kind of a situation, but I've returned things after I canceled a credit card and many stores have allowed me to have the money put back on another credit card -- as long as it was the same type (MC-MC or Visa-Visa, etc.)

None of the stores I've been to will allow a credit to a different card. The most they'll do is issue store credit.

If you still have the card, I think the credit will still go through. The cc company will apply the credit to the new card.

FedBaby
04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
None of the stores I've been to will allow a credit to a different card. The most they'll do is issue store credit.

I've had a few stores that have said they don't think they can, but I ask them if they could possibly try, and it's gone through -- and they were surprised.

I wish I could remember where this has happened.... I think it might have worked at CVS when my husband paid with his card and I returned on mine (I told them it's the same account but a different card number). And I think it actually happened at Carter's, too. Maybe at Home Depot as well, but that was a few years ago...

AJP
04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks to all of you. This was an on line retailer with no b&m location for me to go in to. I'm going to call my cc company on Monday to find out the details. To make matters worse, I reported the "fraudulent" charges because this retailer put the charge through under a name I didn't recognize and from Canada. I reported it before I figured out it was them. I was issued the new card immediately but never actually sent in the forms to reverse the charge since I figured it out that night. The charge still stands because of this, and they are processing my refund due to the item not working under warranty. Quite a mess!