PDA

View Full Version : Yowza! Like Bikes?

Uno-Mom
04-08-2012, 12:35 AM
I nearly bought Sprog's balance bike today. We're on the call list at our consigmant store and they let me know that they got one in. I procrastinated too long, though, and it was gone when I called back.

What shocked me was the brand and price! They were selling it for $75, used, obviously. The Store owner was apologetic for the high price since they usually price balance bikes at $50. She explained that the bike retails new for $359.

$359. For a toddler's riding toy. $359.

What On earth makes them "worth" that much? Is it a kiddie status symbol, or what? :). I never did see the bike but she described it as having cool saddle bags and being a "pretty sweet ride."

Yeah. It better be for $359!

I checked the website and they do have less expensive models. I suppose the accessories bumped it up a bit.

I would have been fine paying $75 with mostly in store credit but, wow.

hillview
04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
I got a weeride bike for $47 in 2008 and both boys have used it well. I highly recommend it. It is similar to this one (still not super $).
HTH

I agree cannot imagine the likeabike price!
http://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-12-Inch-Push-Bike-Red/dp/B001I912P4/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1333888864&sr=1-6

wellyes
04-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I have never and would never pay more than $30 on a toddler bike.
What a waste of money that could go to a 529 or nonprofit.

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2012, 10:31 AM
We got a Hotwalk when DD was 2, but she used it more closer to 3. We've passed it down 2x and will likely sell it for a decent price in a year or so. I don't know about the Like A Bike, but I didn't think they were really that expensive. Wonder if it's an "import" thing???

Is there anything else you're hoping to use your store credit on? If not, then it may be worth it to you since it's spring now... or you can wait for the next one to come in. How many balance bikes do they get in a year?

eta: Just noticed your DD's age...I'd wait probably...

wellyes
04-08-2012, 10:41 AM
We got a Hotwalk when DD was 2, but she used it more closer to 3. We've passed it down 2x and will likely sell it for a decent price in a year or so.

Sure, but bikes don't wear out, so that's true at all expense levels. DD's walmart balance bike is currently being used by DS, and I do expect to consign it for $15-$20 or so (I paid $29). I paid more for the helmet than the bike!

Uno-Mom
04-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I got a weeride bike for $47 in 2008 and both boys have used it well. I highly recommend it. It is similar to this one (still not super $).
HTH

I agree cannot imagine the likeabike price!
http://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-12-Inch-Push-Bike-Red/dp/B001I912P4/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1333888864&sr=1-6
Oh wow - such a cool one!!! I love the red.

... I don't know about the Like A Bike, but I didn't think they were really that expensive. Wonder if it's an "import" thing???

Is there anything else you're hoping to use your store credit on? If not, then it may be worth it to you since it's spring now... or you can wait for the next one to come in. How many balance bikes do they get in a year?

eta: Just noticed your DD's age...I'd wait probably...
I'm pretty sure they're made in the USA. That might be part of the expense. I'll just wait for the next one they get it - they get a lot in the spring because so many kids get outside and get their first peddle bikes this time of year.

I know what you mean about the age thing... seems like most people here have the best luck around age three. Thing is, Sprog jumped right on a balance bike a few months ago (we were buying her a helmet to wear on her trike) and raced around the store on it! I was blown away because she's never been *ahem* precocious in the gross-motor skill arena. There was just something about the two-wheeler that called to her!

I figure we can pick one up inexpensively and if she changes her mind about loving it, we'll put it away for next year.

niccig
04-11-2012, 03:17 AM
Like-a-bikes are really expensive. I wouldn't pay that either. We do buy DS good bikes as we ride a lot. DS has jumped on bikes friends have and has had trouble riding them as they're so much heavier and difficult to move the pedals - and it's not his skill level as he's been riding pedal bikes since before he was 4 yrs old. For us, the better bike is worth it as we ride miles and not just the occasional ride to the park.

Momit
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
We have a Like A Bike. I guess I should :bag, but it was a very special splurge for us, and we didn't pay $350 for it. (ETA it was still expensive there, especially given the exchange rate at the time, but not $350).

We lived in the town in Germany where these bikes are made and thought it would be a really cool thing to get for DS to help him remember our time there. We went to the factory and picked it out for him. I hope to keep it for the grandkids someday!

I will say that we get stopped every time he's riding it because people think it's so neat - most people where we live have never seen a balance bike, wood or otherwise!

We did buy a $30 balance bike from Barnes and Noble 50% off sale to have at the grandparents' house. Haven't used it yet so I can't compare the quality, but I do know that our Like A Bike is very well-made.

ETA 2 We gave the bike to DS for his second birthday, but he didn't really "get" it until a few months before he turned 3.

katydid1971
04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
FWIW we have the a weeride pp mentioned and we must have gotten a bum one because its a POS. The handle bar doesn't stay in place or the seat, they both wobble around a lot. Its VERY heavy, a lot heavier than the knock off like a bike I got at Target 5 years ago. I love it. The fender did break off on it but it still looks and works great. I think the Like a Bike would hold its resale value, I would get it.

Uno-Mom
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
We have a Like A Bike. I guess I should :bag, but it was a very special splurge for us, and we didn't pay $350 for it. (ETA it was still expensive there, especially given the exchange rate at the time, but not $350).

We lived in the town in Germany where these bikes are made and thought it would be a really cool thing to get for DS to help him remember our time there. We went to the factory and picked it out for him. I hope to keep it for the grandkids someday!

That story gives a whole different kind of value to the toy. When it's a keepsake and based on a special memory, I wouldn't question the money splurge.

kristac
04-13-2012, 08:49 AM
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/boys-skuut-bikes/?pkey=cclearance

pbk has skuut bikes on clearance for $49