PDA

View Full Version : Frontier install in '05 Subaru Outback

khalloc
04-09-2012, 08:23 AM
I just bought a Frontier online because I realized the Marathon my 4 year old son was riding in had expired in November.

So we got the Frontier on Saturday and I skimmed thru the install instructions and I tried to install it.

Its alot harder to install than the old Marathon we had. One thing I loved about the marathon is I could install it nice and tight myself without my husbands help. I liked that the LATCH clips each had their own strap for tightening. I have the hardest time when they are connected and I have to pull one strap tight enough to tighten both LATCH connectors....but Anyways...

I put that little bar thing forward that is under the seat like the directions told me if I was going to be using the 5 point Harness. But the seat goes over the edge of the seat in the Outback. It hangs off a little. And the back of the seat does not sit back against the car seat all the way. There is room behind there and its because of that little bar then had you flip under the seat for harness mode.

So the seat is installed and its very tight now (had to have DH come tighten it), but I wanted to ask about the fit since the seat hangs over the edge of the car's seat.

Snow mom
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I believe the base of the frontier is allowed to not rest completely on the vehicle seat. Not all seats allow this (e.g., Graco Nautilus) so it's definitely good to check. A quick google from carseat.org says 80% of the base should be on the seat. I know my frontier hangs an inch or so off the seat in my Jetta.

Joolsplus2
04-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah, my FR hangs over the front of even my minivan captain's chair, and doesn't meet up with the back. I guess we should have warned you it's a different install from the MA :loveeyes: But you'll learn to get it tight soon enough (pull the LATCH strap IN the seat, there's a slit in the cover to pull things tight in the front, if you try to pull out-sideways, you'll be really frustrated).

khalloc
04-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks.

I knew to pull the LATCH strap thru the back of the seat to tighten. Thats how my Radian is too. But I still cannot for the life of me tighten the seat enough. I always have to have DH go in after me and really pull it tight. Which sucks because that was one thing I loved about the Marathon. I could always get it tight by myself.

khalloc
04-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I wanted to add that the seat looks very comfy and my DS seems to like it. He also was tickled pink that he now has cupholders. :)