PDA

View Full Version : Latest and Greatest in Booster Seats

niccig
04-10-2012, 03:04 AM
I've agreed that when DS is 7.5 yo in June, I'll put him in a booster in DH's car. He's in a booster in my car (Parkway) but is only in DH's car a few mornings a week so I kept the Recaro Como as he still fits in it - DS is very short in the torso.

So, he's now 46" and 46 lbs (a perfect square!). He's very lean and all leg. He doesn't like the Parkway, he said the sides of the head rest isn't comfortable.

With DH's new job, he might start taking DS to school every day, so I don't mind getting DS a good comfortable booster.

Any suggestions?

citymama
04-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Bookmarking because he is about the same size as my DD and I want to know as well! I had some good suggestions from others on my post here (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=430273).

Joolsplus2
04-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Haha, Leah's a perfect square, but she's 6 and 48 inches and 48 pounds ("Mama, everyone told me when I went to the nurse at school that I'm too tall to be a kindergartner! :rotflmao:).

Monterey or Parkway are really the two top choices now, I'm waiting on the Kiddy Cruiser Fix if it comes out in a couple weeks (the Kiddy World Plus is out and the belt fit is phenomenal in booster mode, but the price is high as it has the shield, like a harness). http://carseatblog.com/9689/the-kiddy-world-plus-kiddy-cruiser-fix-booster-preview-let-the-drooling-commence/

citymama
04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Haha, Leah's a perfect square, but she's 6 and 48 inches and 48 pounds ("Mama, everyone told me when I went to the nurse at school that I'm too tall to be a kindergartner! :rotflmao:).

My DD is in K too, 48 inches tall and 46 lbs. And she's not even the tallest girl - yikes! Thanks for the reccs, and thanks niccig for starting the thread!

Staraglimmer
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a really tall DD! Mine is 45 inches and 44 pounds, she turns 4 at the end of this month. :)

-Stephanie
Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
& a new addition due 7/1/12

niccig
04-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Monterey or Parkway are really the two top choices now, I'm waiting on the Kiddy Cruiser Fix if it comes out in a couple weeks (the Kiddy World Plus is out and the belt fit is phenomenal in booster mode, but the price is high as it has the shield, like a harness). http://carseatblog.com/9689/the-kiddy-world-plus-kiddy-cruiser-fix-booster-preview-let-the-drooling-commence/

You all have tall DDs! DS is in grade 1.

The kiddy looks great, but as we can't use the shield, it's more than I want to spend for a booster. Granted my child will never reach 4' 9", so he could use the booster for a LONG time.

How's the Monterey on skinny kids, I thought the fit wasn't too great. Friends do have these in their car, so I can try DS out in it.

Oh, and do people like the bubble bum? I'm thinking of getting it for an upcoming trip where me may/may not be in cars.

Joolsplus2
04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Diono Montereys seem to fit skinny kids better than Sunshine Kids ones, but then the belt seems to fall out of the shoulderbelt guide more in some cars, so hmmmmm...
Bubble Bum seems to get good reports as a travel seat :)

niccig
04-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Diono Montereys seem to fit skinny kids better than Sunshine Kids ones, but then the belt seems to fall out of the shoulderbelt guide more in some cars, so hmmmmm...
Bubble Bum seems to get good reports as a travel seat :)

I'll see about trying out the Diono Monterey - that belt slipping will be an issue as DH will go bonkers if he has to rethread it all the time. DS can buckle himself for years, so having to help him will be a no-no.

I'll also post over on car-seat.org. Maybe someone has already tried it in our cars (CRV 2008 and Prius 2004).

What's the Recaro ProBooster like? Our local baby store has both the Monterey and the Probooster, so I can try those.

I have a Parkway SG (non-latch version) and DS says the headrest sides are too hard. He wants more padding. I might just get him another one and give him a travel pillow to use.

Good news on the bubble bum, it'll make some of our trips much easier.

Joolsplus2
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Oh yeah, I always forget the Probooster. I think they are quite well liked, maybe a bit tippy on a bench seat (they are curvy on the bottom, work really well with the 'usually hard to fit fancy bucket seats'), but definitely worth trying out :thumbsup:

niccig
04-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Jools,
How about the Vivo? I thought that was good for skinny kids as well.

Nicci

Joolsplus2
04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
PITB to buckle the Vivo, so it's never been one of my favorites, even though it fit Leah super well when she was 5.

niccig
04-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Why do all the seats have something wrong with them?

Monterey has guides that the seatbelt can come out
The probooster is tippy
The vivo is PITB to buckle.
The Parkway headrest isn't padded enough for DS.

Joolsplus2
04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I know, isn't it annoying? The old Britax Starriser Comfy fit everyone well and was comfortable, but no SIP (the Turbo is a direct knockoff of that seat, but not as tall, deep, or narrow for three across)...why can't we go back to that, but with poufy headwings? I swear if you can wait a month, I'll get the Kiddy CruiserFix (the $199 one, not the World Plus) and it WILL be perfect to test out for you :rotflmao:
Seriously, try the Probooster, it might really work well, KrisM likes hers :)

niccig
04-16-2012, 02:36 AM
I know, isn't it annoying? The old Britax Starriser Comfy fit everyone well and was comfortable, but no SIP (the Turbo is a direct knockoff of that seat, but not as tall, deep, or narrow for three across)...why can't we go back to that, but with poufy headwings? I swear if you can wait a month, I'll get the Kiddy CruiserFix (the $199 one, not the World Plus) and it WILL be perfect to test out for you :rotflmao:
Seriously, try the Probooster, it might really work well, KrisM likes hers :)

Jools, I can wait a couple of month and see what happens with the Kiddy or with the Monterey - surely with all the complaints they have to be coming up with a fix. Our Como was one of the recalls for the harness slipping off the spitter plate and the fix was too rubber caps to put on the splitter plate, works perfectly. If they'll just send out 2 rubber caps for the seltbelt guide, the seatbelt won't slip out.

The only local place for the ProBooster doesn't let you return if you've used the seat ! I'll have to see about someone online - what's the place that used to have you add on $5 and that would cover return shipping?

KrisM
04-16-2012, 07:32 AM
I really like the fit and DS and DD like the comfort of the Probooster. It's in DH's car. We all like it more than the Parkway. I can't use it in the 3rd row of my Odyssey because it's too tippy. But, in the Malibu, it's fine. We just got rid of the seat next to it too, so it's no longer bracketed in between the door and another seat and it doesn't tip in that car at all.

jjordan
04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I am hoping the Kiddy CruiserFix is perfect too! I want something LATCHable, which seriously limits the options... I wish the ProBooster were LATCHable because then it might be my perfect booster.