PDA

View Full Version : Can you bear another bike thread? Haro vs Strider

Uno-Mom
04-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Background: I got a great deal on a used Skuut, brought it home to Sprog, got her all pumped up about a "big surprise!!!" and presented it in the backyard. Turns out that the Skuut is waaaay taller than the 10 inch Harlo she loved so much at the bike shop. It was very sad and confusing for her. :( She was woebegon but such a good sport that I'm now determined to get her a properly sized balance bike ASAP.

Everyone here raves about Striders but the local shop only carries Haro. Is the Haro just as good? I know it's a bit spendier but the shop is having a good sale this weekend.

I could just order a Strider off Amazon but Sprog's still talking about our special shopping trip to buy her bike helmet two months ago! After accidentally disappointing her with the Skuut, I'm willing to pay the extra twenty bucks to let her have that memory of picking it out in person.

niccig
04-11-2012, 03:03 AM
I don't know the brand, but if it'll get her on the bike go for it. We got DS's balance bike at same time friends got a balance bike for their DD. DS loved it, used it every chance he could and was on a 12" bike with no training wheels 9 months later. Our friends DD hated it and wouldn't use it for 2 years, then quickly learnt how and moved on to a regular bike.

One thing that I think helped DS was that the balance bike and 12" bike were same size, so transitioning to the pedal bike was pretty easy. But, I had to search for a balance bike that had low enough seat as he's short. If Sprog is shortish, the smaller bike may be better.

We've always taken DS to bike store to make sure bike fits him. I sometimes ride DH's bigger bike and it's so much more difficult when it doesn't fit me right (I'm on tip toe and can barely touch etc).