PDA

View Full Version : pity-party: my lame 40th birthday

kwc
04-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Today was my 40th birthday. At least it was my day off from work. What did I do?

Got the kids up and walked them to school in the rain, came home to fold laundry from our spring break trip, plan DS's belated birthday party, enrolled DC in yet another summer camp, then picked up the kids+DD's friend and watched DS play soccer in the rain, then returned home until we walked over to my parents' house who had ordered takeout (this was actually very nice as my mom who had a stroke ordered the food).

DH bought me the very nice wallet I had asked for with an emailed link... and I got to open the shipping box from Amazon tonight. No card from DH, or either of my 2 kids who spent most of the afternoon/ evening whining/badgering why I won't pay $7/month for Club Penguin (including while I was opening my present).

I don't usually care much about birthdays and I could have booked myself a massage or something though we just came back from vacation so I didn't need it. I just didn't think I would have to ask my kids to even make me a card. For my 40th. A year ago, DH asked me if he should throw me a big party... I thought about it for awhile, then after my mom had her stroke, I thought it would be too much trouble. So... now, nothing.

My life is good, things are fine here, we are healthy... I guess I was just hoping for a bit of "specialness" on my 40th. I'm not even upset about turning 40. I told DH I need a do-over, and he said he'd try again this weekend. He also was upset at the kids and told them no Club Penguin paid subscription ever if all it meant was harassing me.

At least nice phone calls from my sibs and ILs, and many nice messages on facebook.

elektra
04-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Aww, that sucks!
Hoping your do over is awesome.

niccig
04-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Aww, that sucks!
Hoping your do over is awesome.

:yeahthat: and maybe drop some hints about what you would like. Sleep in, spa, go out for brunch/dinner, kids make you a card.

liz
04-11-2012, 06:53 AM
:hug: aww, sorry your birthday didn't turn out like you hoped

Let's hope your birthday do-over is way better (and good for you that you said something to DH)!!

Happy Birthday :cheerleader1::cheerleader1:!!

MamaMolly
04-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Happy Birthday!

And I'm sorry it was a dud. Those birthdays, especially on a big one, suck. :(

MoJo
04-11-2012, 07:11 AM
:hug: aww, sorry your birthday didn't turn out like you hoped

Let's hope your birthday do-over is way better (and good for you that you said something to DH)!!

Happy Birthday :cheerleader1::cheerleader1:!!

:yeahthat:

hillview
04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
That stinks. I am sending you special b'day wishes and agree you deserve a do-over. I'd tell DH what the do over is going to be.

elephantmeg
04-11-2012, 07:59 AM
aww hugs. Sending special birthday wishes your way! I felt that way for my 30th and DH got it together for my 31st, lol

Twoboos
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Hey, my 40yo birthday twin!! :waving4:

I hear ya - I did about 5 loads of laundry yesterday, and haven't made a dent. (I am convinced 8 people live here, not 4 - WHERE do all these clothes come from?!)

Then DH got home from work and asked, "What's for dinner?" I just looked at him until he said, "OH! Let's get takeout!"

I hope your do-over goes well. I am a big believer in the extended-birthday, no matter what bday it is. Late presents, late parties, late cards, late special dinner, whatever. It all works. And many people who turned 40 before me highly recommend continual celebration as a way to dull the pain. :wink2: So pretty much the rest of April is available!!

:cheerleader1: Happy Birthday! :cheerleader1:

momm
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Aw.

Happy birthday, and I am sure your do over will be super awesome!!!

BabyMine
04-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Happy Birthday!!!:yay: and a :hug:.

marit
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Happy birthday to you 🐬💐🌷

Happy birthday to you 💝🎁🐠

Happy birthday, Happy birthday,

Happy birthday to you 😍🐚💰

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidmand
04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Aw. I know what you mean. I have low expectations but a little out of the ordinary would be nice.

Happy birthday to you!

Drag0nflygirl
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I hear ya. My DH didn't really go out of the way for my 40th either - and this is after I surprised him with hot air ballooning on his. Hugs. :22:

deborah_r
04-11-2012, 01:24 PM
My 40th was last month and it was incredibly lame as well. I expected it though, because DH has been going through some really bad times. I'm sorry it was not a special day for you.

glbb35
04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Happy Birthday!!! I am like the other poster: I believe in extended birthdays!!

Heck my 40th last year was a complete dud as well. I got one call from sil and the rest were Facebook postings. Yawn, can you say boring and generic? My parents did bring over a cake but it had nuts in it and I just don't like nuts in cake. so my kids enjoyed it and that was that. Since I had just had our last baby I looked like a fat cow and couldn't even fit into regular clothes. It was such a dud.

BUT I leave soon for a vacation- just dh and me!!! we will then both celebrate our belated 40th birthdays and our anniversary which is treated about as boring as a birthday these days so we are excited and looking forward to it. I hope you can take some time for yourself in the coming months (heck I have waited nearly 9 months to finally celebrate my b-day). I also have no expectations that 41 this year will be anything but also another boring dud.

You are 40 all year long so go and carve out some time for yourself and then when you are laying back and relaxed you can sigh, "ah, 40, it's not so bad" :)

Happy 40th Birthday! you are 40 years young and what a great time in our lives!!! Totally trumps 30 for sure for me. :)

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

maestramommy
04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Happy Birthday! :cheerleader1:

One of our friends had a 40th bash. Which was just dinner at a restaurant with a bunch of her GFs. I had a great time, and thought now why didn't I do that. But the truth is I'm not super outgoing like she is, and I just can't imagine throwing myself a party:p. My 40th I don't even remember except that I was pregnant with Laurel. I think dh brought home roses, and he might have even made dinner! Or maybe that was the year after. Anyway I did get a gift, but I don't think a card. Funny, we don't do bday cards, my kids were too young for that, so I wasn't expecting it. Oh yeah, it was 2008, the economy was tanking and dh's work announced furloughs, then pay cuts. But he still had a job. We were just worried he might lose it right when I REALLY needed the health insurance.

It wasn't a huge exciting thing, but it wasn't depressing either. Not like my 30th:tongue5:

cntrymoon2
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
That stinks :( Big FAIL, DH. Big.

echoesofspring
04-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Happy Birthday! :hug:

Sorry it was a dud... I can add myself to the chorus of unremarkable 40th's - mine was last month, and there were some nice little things about the day, but nothing that said "40!" and then I got the flu....we are supposedly going on a weekend trip to celebrate next week, but as far as I can tell DH has done 0 planning for it (and the whole point "gift" was that I didn't have to do the planning)