PDA

View Full Version : When did you decide to switch to backless booster?

smilequeen
04-11-2012, 09:34 PM
My oldest is almost 7.5. He's tall (51") and about 65 lbs. Right now he has a Clek Oobr in my car and a Recaro Probooster in DH's car. He's in the 3rd row of an Acura MDX with DH, so I'm hesitant to have him in a backless booster there (maybe silly? but I feel like he needs the back in there). He's in the 3rd row of an Infiniti QX56 with me and the seat is pretty substantial. He's asking to remove the back of his HBB. Partially b/c he says it's uncomfortable but mostly b/c that's how most of his friends ride. He doesn't get to call the shots, but if he's equally safe in both, I do like to consider his request.

So is there a consensus on backless vs. HBB for bigger/older kids?

SnuggleBuggles
04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Ds1 prefers his HBB. He has 1 of each between our cars. He still properly fits in the HBB so he can stay there a while more.

KrisM
04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
DS1 is almost 8 and is 52" and 60 lbs. He's in a highback. I do send a backless if someone is driving him somewhere, just because it's easier. But, he likes the Parkway and will stay in it for a while.

Joolsplus2
04-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Statistically it actually doesn't matter, highback and backless have the same results in real life. If I had curtain airbags and head supports and my kid didn't sleep in the car, I'd go backless. And the curtain airbags is just my little niggle, despite the statistics, I'd still LIKE to give my kid side impact protection from a booster as long as possible if I didn't have curtains, but again, no statistical safety difference supports me there. Here's a good blog on it, anyway... http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backless-or-not-to-backless-that-is-the-question/

AnnieW625
04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Right now DD1 just uses a low back when she has to be in the third row of our Pilot, for school carpools or in friends cars. Last year at 4 she did ride in a lowback Turbo in her DCP's car for 10 minutes 2x day for preschool. DH insisted on it for a recent trip so we wouldn't have to bring the back and in the end he said all future trips for a while she will have the highback. I think I will move her to a low back at around age 8, which is when a booster seat is no longer required in our state and while the law doesn't specifically say you must weigh 60lbs to be out of a booster 60lbs will be my goal and if keeping her in a low back then causes less arguments then that will be fine with me. Idealy though I think I want to put her back in the Frontier 80 then (esp. if she is still sleeping a bunch in the car) but who knows if I'll be successful with that.

I will give Jools a big :thumbsup: for posting all of stats on highback vs. boosters.

Twoboos
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
I've been meaning to ask this, too! DD1 is 54" and probably 63/64lbs or so (feels like 163 whenI pick her up! ;)).

She's begging on-and-off to be in a backless. I could take the back off a Parkway and let her sister have the Monterey. Or I could just leave it until the complaining becomes too much. Or make up some random date like summer/after school's out etc.

So Jools' stats are very helpful in me not feeling TOO bad making the switch! Thanks Jools and smilequeen for asking. :bighand:

crl
04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I switched ds recently at age eight and a half. He essentially never sleeps in the car now. And I was tired of his high back booster blocking my rear view. I figured at this point the driver's ability to see trumped any minor safety gains to be had from keeping him in the high back booster. Also this allows me to get a third kid in my back row for very occasional carpooling. (I have dd in a rear facing round about and then I can fit ds and a friend in a bubblebum and a light rider across the back seat of my Forester.)

Catherine

smilequeen
04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Thank you. Especially for the links. He rarely falls asleep but it's still a consideration. I might let him test it out.

essnce629
04-13-2012, 04:20 PM
DS1 will be 9 in August and is still in a HBB in both our car (FR85) and his carpool's car (Monterey). I have no plans to make the switch to a full time backless booster any time soon, but he does use a backless (Harmony Literider) for school field trips and summer camp. He's 67lbs and 54" tall.

lalasmama
04-14-2012, 12:47 PM
I let DD start going backless when she was actively/purposely leaning out of the sides of the booster (we had a Graco Nautilus), thereby totally negating any side-impact safety features! She was trying to look out the windows, and just couldn't see what she wanted. Now, backless, she sits properly, her back against the seat, her head against the headrest of the seat, her seatbelt properly positioned. While it scared me to death to let her go backless, it scared me that she wouldn't remain seated correctly with the back on, and backless seemed safer than her leaning out of her seat all the time.