PDA

View Full Version : 2yo: Cozy coupe and a tricycle? (too much?)

Pinky
04-12-2012, 08:59 PM
My DD just turned two and doesnt have any ride-on type toys for outside. I've been searching craigslist and just found a cozy coupe and a radio flyer tricycle (with handle for pushing). They are both REALLY good deals. Would I be crazy for purchasing both? I'm guessing she wont be able to use the tricycle by herself because she's small, but she could use the Cozy Coupe without our help.

mommytoC
04-12-2012, 09:17 PM
My DD#2 has both, plus a mini kick scooter :) (and uses all 3)...so I don't think it's too much. (She got the cozy coupe for her first birthday, the trike for Christmas at 20 months, and the scooter for her second birthday.)

They're classic outdoor toys, and if your DD is anything like my two, she'll use both A LOT. If they're great deals, you'd be crazy (IMO) not to buy both :).

Jai
04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I dont think its too much, especially if you found great dels!

edurnemk
04-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Another enabler, here, we have both (Cozy Coupe and Kettler trike). Got them when DS was about to turn 2. Some time later we also got a balance bike. DS uses them all, to this day (although the Cozy Coupe not as much anymore).

BabyBearsMom
04-12-2012, 09:37 PM
My 2 yo DD has a Cozy Coup and a Kettler Trike. She likes them both. I don't think it is overkill.

AshleyAnn
04-12-2012, 09:43 PM
My DD is 2.5 and has a coupe, a trike, and a scoot ride thing by radioflyer called scoot n zoom. She uses them all quite a bit. At grandmas she has a scoot toy and a trike and plays with them a lot. The trikes get less use than the others since she cant pedel but she loves it anyway.

Pinky
04-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks everybody! I'm going to get both! I figure if she doesn't use one I can always sell it again on CL. These things sell like hotcakes during the summer.

I guess I should start researching helmets and enforce the rule of "anything with wheels" requires a helmet too. :)

lizzywednesday
04-13-2012, 09:58 AM
I guess I should start researching helmets and enforce the rule of "anything with wheels" requires a helmet too. :)

Absolutely start enforcing the "anything with wheels" helmet rule now. I actually started it last fall when we received a hand-me-down trike from our neighbors' son ... DD wasn't allowed to ride it until I'd bought her a bike helmet.

Now, if she wants to play with her trike or scooter, she grabs her helmet first and then the ride-on she was running to ... it's a beautiful thing!

Also, please learn how to wear the helmet properly. There are weeks when I see far too many kids wearing their bike helmets incorrectly because their parents don't know how it should sit on their kids' heads and it drives me up the wall. (I am a bike helmet nut since reading about and insisting on them when I was 13. This pre-dated our state's law requiring anyone under the age of 16 to wear a helmet by several years.)

Pinky
04-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Do you know of a good resource /website? I definitely want to know everything about them!

Uno-Mom
04-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Just watch the Cozy Coupe and the helmet combo...

Sprog has had a C Coup and trike for a while now. When she started riding the trike in earnest, we got the helmet and enforced the rule. But for us, the rule only applies to bikes. She likes wearing it, though, so won't take it off.

The bangs her head on the Cozy Coupe ceiling every.single.time now. On the way in, and on the way out!

PS how's this for enabling: I just got Sprog a balance bike so now she has THREE ride-ons. Sigh. Today was the first day with the bike and she keeps rotating between all three. I think they'll get plenty of use.

lizzywednesday
04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Do you know of a good resource /website? I definitely want to know everything about them!

Here's a good visual:

http://www.cpsc.gov/kids/kidsafety/correct.html

I also found this resource page for Bike & Skating safety at Safe Kids USA:

http://www.safekids.org/safety-basics/safety-resources-by-risk-area/bicycling-and-skating/

Oh, and Uno-Mom brings up a good point - since the CC is enclosed and pretty stable, I wouldn't worry about a helmet inside.