PDA

View Full Version : Itching!

Melaine
04-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I sort of remember this with the girls, but not really to this extent (although my memories have certainly faded.)

Last night I my hands, especially palms were itching so much that I couldn't fall asleep for awhile. Today I am itching ALMOST everywhere. It's so annoying! Is this normal?

scrooks
04-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I had PUPs the last 2 weeks I was pregnant with dd. It was on my belly and thighs. It was the most awful itchy rash i have ever had! I don't remember if it made my palms itch. It was awful! I hope you just have a little itching and not PUPs!

Melaine
04-13-2012, 06:49 PM
No rash...just intense itching! I do have super dry skin even normally and over the last week I have taken more baths than I've ever taken in a week before, because I've been having contractions and hemorrhoids which the bath helps. So I'm guessing maybe it's just a combo of the baths and hormone shifts....super annoying though.

Melaine
04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Great now I am reading about that liver problem that can happen. Why do I always have to find these worst case scenarios on the weekend?

BabyBearsMom
04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
My belly itches all the time. Are you moisturizing? That helps me a little

Melaine
04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I think I will take a cold shower and then put some lotion on.

The thing about this and why I am a bit concerned about cholestasis (sp) is that it's not localized....I'm itching almost everywhere. It was worse on my hands last night. Plus it wasn't so bad today but seems like it's been worse the last hour or so.

scrooks
04-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Great now I am reading about that liver problem that can happen. Why do I always have to find these worst case scenarios on the weekend?

I think my cousins wife had the liver related itching issues but I don't remember the details. She was closely monitored by her doc. Everything ended up fine. Their dd was pretty jaundice but is a healthy happy 2 year old. I hope you are just itchy!! I would stop googling for now.

mm123
04-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Sorry, I don't want to worry you, but I couldn't read your post and not reply.

With both my pregnancies, at about 35-36 weeks, I developed severe itching on the palms of my hands, and soles of my feet. And I mean INTENSE itching. It's often a symptom of a condition called Cholostasis (something to do with the liver). There's no rash, just intense itching, and it gets worse at night. No lotions helped at all. The only thing that helped a bit was sitting with my hands and feet in bowls of ice cubes!

My memory's a bit foggy, but my midwife gave me a blood test for it (something about checking the liver enzymes), and it came out positive for Cholastasis. I was then transferred to a 'high risk' OB, even though it's not really supposed to be that worrisome. The only 'treatment' was to give birth, so at 37 weeks they induced me.

Everything was totally fine, both DDs were perfect, and the itching completely went away after I gave birth. I had a blood test after giving birth, and everything had gone back to normal.

I would definitely speak to you Dr. about it and get tested. The belly itching is normal, but the palms and soles is typically not.

Melaine
04-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Sorry, I don't want to worry you, but I couldn't read your post and not reply.

With both my pregnancies, at about 35-36 weeks, I developed severe itching on the palms of my hands, and soles of my feet. And I mean INTENSE itching. It's often a symptom of a condition called Cholostasis (something to do with the liver). There's no rash, just intense itching, and it gets worse at night. No lotions helped at all. The only thing that helped a bit was sitting with my hands and feet in bowls of ice cubes!

My memory's a bit foggy, but my midwife gave me a blood test for it (something about checking the liver enzymes), and it came out positive for Cholastasis. I was then transferred to a 'high risk' OB, even though it's not really supposed to be that worrisome. The only 'treatment' was to give birth, so at 37 weeks they induced me.

Everything was totally fine, both DDs were perfect, and the itching completely went away after I gave birth. I had a blood test after giving birth, and everything had gone back to normal.

I would definitely speak to you Dr. about it and get tested. The belly itching is normal, but the palms and soles is typically not.

Thanks....that is what I am reading about. The midwife is supposed to be calling me back right now. I just wonder if I should go in to get the blood work done like ASAP, just in case that is it. I'll be 37 weeks on Sunday. Otherwise I have an appointment on Monday but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't wait?

mm123
04-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks....that is what I am reading about. The midwife is supposed to be calling me back right now. I just wonder if I should go in to get the blood work done like ASAP, just in case that is it. I'll be 37 weeks on Sunday. Otherwise I have an appointment on Monday but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't wait?

I don't know if labs do that kind of testing over the weekend. If not, I'd wait until Monday. Even if your midwife doesn't think that's what it is, I'd still insist on the liver enzyme test. Cholastasis is pretty rare- I personally don't know anyone else who's had it. Apparently many doctors/midwives aren't familiar with it like they are with PUPPS.

To be honest, I was actually kind of relieved when the test came back positive. The induction was no fun, but the itching was so severe, I could hardly sleep at all at night.

Good luck!

Melaine
04-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Ok, talked to my midwife she took me seriously (and knew exactly what I was talking about), which was really nice (I was afraid they would say it was rare so I shouldn't worry about it). She called me in a prescription (sounded like viscereal) for itching and anxiety (ha! they've got my number) and said she is writing on my chart to get the bloodwork done on Monday.

mm123, do you have to have repeat bloodwork done for this, or will the initial test tell you conclusively yes or no? Thanks for your input.

mmommy
04-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Absolutely get the bloodwork, but just to throw this out there: I've had itchiness all over without a rash a few times in my life, when I wasn't pregnant, and it turned out to be some undiagnosed allergy. I'm not sure what part of the world you live in, but here in NY there are a lot of things happening outside to set off my allergies. In those cases I was prescribed Zyrtec, which worked wonders...its now over the counter, but I don't remember if its ok during pregnancy.
So, do get the bloodwork to know for sure that it isn't something more serious, but it could be something really simple, but annoying, instead.

Melaine
04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks mmommy! I hope it is something like that....actually, I am remembering that this is how I felt right before I popped out with a rash that turned out to be a sulfa allergy.

It is just down-right UNBELIEVABLE how I find something to be super anxious about at every turn during this pregnancy. I am going to be 37 weeks on Sunday. This weekend I should finally be able to relax despite all these contractions, yet here I go again, finding something to be worried about.

The worst pregnancy symptom I have is anxiety, and it's a life-long issue that never goes away.:(

lmh2402
04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
melanie - hoping the script helps and you can get through the weekend without too much discomfort and worry! kup for monday's bloodwork! :hug: i hope everything is ok

sntm
04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
benadryl will help if it's an allergic itch. did you notice any yellowness of your eyes?

mm123
04-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Ok, talked to my midwife she took me seriously (and knew exactly what I was talking about), which was really nice (I was afraid they would say it was rare so I shouldn't worry about it). She called me in a prescription (sounded like viscereal) for itching and anxiety (ha! they've got my number) and said she is writing on my chart to get the bloodwork done on Monday.

mm123, do you have to have repeat bloodwork done for this, or will the initial test tell you conclusively yes or no? Thanks for your input.

Sorry, my memory's a bit fuzzy. I think I only had the one blood test done. From what I remember, I was tested earlier with DD2, because I was much more sensitive to the itching, and my numbers were lower, but still abnormal. I think the numbers get higher as you go along.

I know it's easy for me to say, but really, try not to worry too much about it (and don't google!!). Chances are you don't have it, but even if you do, everything will be ok. Like I said, after I delivered both times, I was completely fine, and both DDs were totally perfect!!

Melaine
04-13-2012, 09:28 PM
benadryl will help if it's an allergic itch. did you notice any yellowness of your eyes?

She told me to take the prescription rather than Benedryl....no yellowness in eyes.

emily
04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
It happened to me with my first pregancy. i got super itchy at about 34ish weeks. It wasn't PUPS, liver tested fine. My doctor just told me to take benedryl. I had no rash amd it wasn't dry skin. It was unbearable, palms of my hands even between my fingers. i had blood on my sheets cuz I was scratching my legs so much.

I hope your Rx helps. It really was so miserable.

mariza
04-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Melanie, please make sure you get the bloodwork. My cousin and another friend both had cholisistitis. Both babies are fine now, but it can be very dangerous. Not trying to freak you out, but wanted to point out that even though it's rare, it happens.
I hope you get some relief soon. Keep us posted!

designermv
04-13-2012, 10:31 PM
I developed ICP (Intrahepatic cholestastis of pregnancy) with my last pregnancy. The first symptom was the unbearable itching on my hands and feet. I don't have time to type out my whole story right now, but I will do so soon. I am glad your midwife is taking this seriously. I ended up delivering my baby girl via emergency c-section at 36/4 because my liver enzymes and bile acids went out of control so fast that I slipped into early HELLP.

I don't mean to scare you at all, I just want to be up front about how serious ICP can be. It sounds like you are in good hands and I am sure everything will be fine. Check out the itchymoms.com website for more info.

KpbS
04-13-2012, 11:46 PM
One more vote for going in to get the bloodwork done. It is a total pain that it is the weekend, but I'd go ahead and get it checked out. A friend developed this (at her baby shower of all times and places) and she ended up delivering early b/c of the severity. That is just to say, it does happen and better to know what is going on (rule it in or out). Hope you feel much better very soon! :hug:

Melaine
04-14-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks everyone for all the info. I took the medicine and fell asleep but have woken several times itching. I woke up at about 1 with the bottoms of my feet itching intensely. I took the medicine again just now, but I will call again tomorrow. I don't really feel the medicine took care of it so much, just made it a bit better and then made me tired so I was sleeping regardless. If they will let me get the bloodwork done tomorrow I will get it then.

Melaine
04-14-2012, 09:31 AM
going into L & D to be monitored and do the bloodwork. DH is going to stay with the kids so really hopint this doesn't take so long.

MSWR0319
04-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Good luck! I hope it's a short stay and they can figure out what the problem is. I totally get your anxiety. At my last appointment my dr said I'm not worried aout this baby one bit, I'm more worried about getting you through delivery and the week after without too much anxiety (I had complications pp with DS and am very nervous this time). Just try to relax. At least your 37 weeks, baby will be ok!

Melaine
04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
ugh....been here an hour and still waiting for blood draw.

DietCokeLover
04-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Praying for you!

Melaine
04-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Test wont go to lab until mon....but one of my liver enzymes was elevated...hoping to go home soon

Melaine
04-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Praying for you!
:hug:
Thank you!!!

scrooks
04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Oh my goodness! I now wish it had been just PUPs for you! :grouphug:
Hope the bloodwork comes back ok!

Melaine
04-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, everything looked fine with monitoring, urine sample, etc. Contractions every 6-8 minutes but that has been normal. One liver enzyme was slightly elevated. (not enough to tell us anythng either way, but it does make me wonder....) I will go to my regular appointment on Monday and when they get the blood work back they will see if we need to deliver next week if it is cholestasis. They let me go about 1 so at least I didn't have to stay too long. Not much itching while I was there but it seems to have started back the last 20 minutes or so....

Thanks for all the tips. You guys are great!

hoodlims
04-15-2012, 01:04 AM
I hope it works out for you! My friend had the cholostasis (sp?)thing too and yes, she was induced at 37 weeks but she now has a beautiful, healthy, and brilliant 2 year old. She did not have it with her 2nd pregnancy (also healthy). good luck! Glad you got it checked out.

Uno-Mom
04-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Ugh, just saw this. How awful. I'm sending you good sleep vibes right now! It seems like what you need most of all is some peaceful rest right now. Clearly you are on top of all the medical aspects and are receiving great care.

Melaine
04-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Ugh, just saw this. How awful. I'm sending you good sleep vibes right now! It seems like what you need most of all is some peaceful rest right now. Clearly you are on top of all the medical aspects and are receiving great care.

Fortunately, the medicine they gave me does seem to help me sleep, and help with anxiety. The itching is definitely still there, and much worse at night. But the drugs helped last night so I slept pretty well. Just hope the test comes back tomorrow....I forgot to ask how long it would actually take!

daisymommy
04-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Oh man Melanie! I'm so sorry to hear it might actually be cholestatis and an early delivery. As others have said, thankfully you'll be 37 weeks then. Sending prayers your way that all goes well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine
04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Oh man Melanie! I'm so sorry to hear it might actually be cholestatis and an early delivery. As others have said, thankfully you'll be 37 weeks then. Sending prayers your way that all goes well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! 37 weeks today so very happy about that. Just hope that test comes back quickly so we can figure out what the deal is....and am extremely curious as to what this could be if the test comes back negative.....

MamaMolly
04-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Just saw this and am hoping you are feeling better in every way. P&PT for you!

Melaine
04-16-2012, 04:37 AM
4 AM, awake and ITCHING. I'm feeling really exhausted and stressed. Please pray for me that those test results come back quickly and the doctors are wise. I'm nervous for some reason that they will want me to wait and I keep reading and reading and I'm freaking out and wanting him out NOW.

mariza
04-16-2012, 06:51 AM
I hope you get some answers today!

designermv
04-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Is the drug they gave you called Ursodiol/Actigall? That is what I was given with my ICP diagnosis. It is the only thing that helped. I had a little relief from using hydrocortisone cream on my hands and feet at night. The most frustrating part was the invisibility of it all. No rash, but OMG THE ITCHING.

I originally addressed my itching with my regular OB practice. There are several OBs and a few midwives, most of whom I loved. I was sent for the bile acids bloodwork, and when it came back, my levels were "elevated" but not enough so that they were concerned. I read up more on ICP and found some medical journal articles to bring with me to my next appointment. I ended up having to see one of the jerkwad OBs that I hated, and he was dismissive and patronizing. He told me that the itching was just "a part of pregnancy" and that having my twice-weekly biophysical profiles was enough to be sure everything was okay. Meanwhile the itching was getting worse and I was getting more and more worried. I had no doubt at this point that i had ICP.

I'd been seeing a maternal-fetal medicine doctor earlier in my pregnancy and decided to check in with him. He told me to come in right away. He diagnosed me within minutes and called my OB practice and reamed them out, and told them to deliver my baby within the week. a coupoe of days later I went back to my regular practice and saw one of the midwives. She confirmed my c-section date for 37 weeks and sent me for some STAT bloodwork to be sure things were stable. An hour later I got a call that my liver enzymes were through the roof and I was to go to the hospital immediately to deliver.

I am thinking your doctors are going to see something in your bloodwork and proceed accordingly. But if they don't, please see if you can locate a maternal-fetal doctor. There is a list somewhere on the itchymoms website.

Good luck to you.

Melaine
04-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Is the drug they gave you called Ursodiol/Actigall? That is what I was given with my ICP diagnosis. It is the only thing that helped. I had a little relief from using hydrocortisone cream on my hands and feet at night. The most frustrating part was the invisibility of it all. No rash, but OMG THE ITCHING.

I originally addressed my itching with my regular OB practice. There are several OBs and a few midwives, most of whom I loved. I was sent for the bile acids bloodwork, and when it came back, my levels were "elevated" but not enough so that they were concerned. I read up more on ICP and found some medical journal articles to bring with me to my next appointment. I ended up having to see one of the jerkwad OBs that I hated, and he was dismissive and patronizing. He told me that the itching was just "a part of pregnancy" and that having my twice-weekly biophysical profiles was enough to be sure everything was okay. Meanwhile the itching was getting worse and I was getting more and more worried. I had no doubt at this point that i had ICP.

I'd been seeing a maternal-fetal medicine doctor earlier in my pregnancy and decided to check in with him. He told me to come in right away. He diagnosed me within minutes and called my OB practice and reamed them out, and told them to deliver my baby within the week. a coupoe of days later I went back to my regular practice and saw one of the midwives. She confirmed my c-section date for 37 weeks and sent me for some STAT bloodwork to be sure things were stable. An hour later I got a call that my liver enzymes were through the roof and I was to go to the hospital immediately to deliver.

I am thinking your doctors are going to see something in your bloodwork and proceed accordingly. But if they don't, please see if you can locate a maternal-fetal doctor. There is a list somewhere on the itchymoms website.

Good luck to you.

Thanks so much for the info. I am wondering if I should go ahead and request more bloodwork today to compare with what we haven't even gotten back yet...or maybe they have already planned that. I am just convinced this is what it is, I can't imagine what else would be causing this. Just praying that whoever I see today will be on the ball and I won't have to go elsewhere.

MSWR0319
04-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Oh Melaine, I hope you get some answers today and they are what you want to hear. The stress is probably eating at you. Is your appt at last this morning so you don't have to wait all day?

We have to make the decision of induction or not today which is stressing me out, but nothing compared to what you're going through. I hope both of our appts go well!

Melaine
04-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Oh Melaine, I hope you get some answers today and they are what you want to hear. The stress is probably eating at you. Is your appt at last this morning so you don't have to wait all day?

We have to make the decision of induction or not today which is stressing me out, but nothing compared to what you're going through. I hope both of our appts go well!

P&PTs for your appointment! Mine is at 9:45. I am just wishing DH could come and that I didn't have to take the girls because I feel like I am about to SNAP with stress.

I just read on the itchymoms website that the bloodtest could take up to a week to come back. :52:

If I just tell them I want a C-section this week, at 37.5 maybe, are they going to say no? Even if the test comes back normal I just feel convinced this is the issue and I want to go ahead.

mom2MandC
04-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Thinking of you today! Hoping you are able to get some answers!

designermv
04-16-2012, 08:38 AM
P&PTs for your appointment! Mine is at 9:45. I am just wishing DH could come and that I didn't have to take the girls because I feel like I am about to SNAP with stress.

I just read on the itchymoms website that the bloodtest could take up to a week to come back. :52:

If I just tell them I want a C-section this week, at 37.5 maybe, are they going to say no? Even if the test comes back normal I just feel convinced this is the issue and I want to go ahead.
How many weeks are you now? Be relentless today in insisting that you want a complete liver panel/LFT done, because they can STAT that and while it may not show ICP it could show if something wonky is going on.

SnuggleBuggles
04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Thinking of you today! I hope all goes well!

Melaine
04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
How many weeks are you now? Be relentless today in insisting that you want a complete liver panel/LFT done, because they can STAT that and while it may not show ICP it could show if something wonky is going on.

37 weeks yesterday. Not sure if they did the liver panel, they said "one of my liver enzymes was elevated"...so maybe they did that at the hospital? Maybe if they do it again today they will see it go up?

BDKmom
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Wishing you the best with all of this! Praying you get some answers today and relief, one way or another. :hug:

zag95
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Thinking of you! Hope you get this resolved, one way or another (baby!)

Take care!

designermv
04-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes, add me to the people thinking about you today! Please update after your appointment. :hug:

mctlaw
04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Jut reading your itching saga. P & PT for you. I see you posted this AM before your appointment & no update. I really hope everything is ok. Please post when you can! :hug:

MSWR0319
04-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Hoping you're doing ok. P & PT for you.

Melaine
04-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone! CRazy day. First waited for a solid TWO hours for my appointment which has never happened. BP was super high, so they sent me over to L&D. Waited to talk to a midwife for nearly four hours....wasn't allowed to eat so I thought I was going to die just from hunger, just finally ate something here at 5pm!

Anyway, blood work today was normal but the liver test for cholestasis won't come back until thur or fri! midwife thinks it could either be pupps or cholestasis but they won't proceed until they get the test back. So now because my BP was so high I am on bedrest. If I would just break out in a rash confirming it were PUPPs I would be so happy. Just hoping they are doing the right thing....I all but begged for an early C-section.

I really appreciate all the P&PTs and will love any more you can give us....I'm going to be stressed until the test comes back.

daisymommy
04-16-2012, 05:35 PM
What an awful day! I would have passed out from not eating for so long!

Well, we can be bed rest buddies...as much fun as that can be ;)

I know an early c-section sounds enticing, but just remember, the longer your baby cooks, closer to 40 weeks, the better!

Hang in there girl, and we'll be thinking of you!

DietCokeLover
04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Ugh, sorry about the bed rest! Praying for you!

mctlaw
04-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Ugh. Will keep up the P & PT that you get some answers and relief and that baby can cook til he is ready!

MSWR0319
04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Any chance your BP was up because of the stress from sitting there waiting? Mine always goes up when I'm nervous. Hopefully the tests come back sooner and you can figure out what needs done. Here's hoping that PUPPS rash shows up to ease your mind! prayers coming your way.

lmh2402
04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
sorry for such a stressful day!! p&pts :hug: i hope you can find a way to rest for at least the next couple of days, without too much stress or anxiety. and hopefully your test will come back all-clear sooner thane expected! :hug:

mmommy
04-16-2012, 08:30 PM
:grouphug: what a day! Rest up, and I hope tomorrow is more pleasant and the test results come in early...

Uno-Mom
04-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Aw, poor you! I hope you can get some real rest on this bed rest.

MamaMolly
04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Well that stinks! Try to relax if you can. I hope the meds are helping, and P & PT that the tests come back early!!

KpbS
04-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Thinking of you and praying for the itchiness to go away! Hang in there! You are in the home stretch :hug:

designermv
04-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Oh geez, what a rotten day. I hope the lab work comes back quickly so you have some answers. I seriously do not think you have PUPPS (cause, you know, I studied medicine on the internet :tongue5: ) since you don't have a rash. Hang in there mama. :hug:

Melaine
04-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Oh geez, what a rotten day. I hope the lab work comes back quickly so you have some answers. I seriously do not think you have PUPPS (cause, you know, I studied medicine on the internet :tongue5: ) since you don't have a rash. Hang in there mama. :hug:

Just PM'd you....

I can't believe it's PUPPS either....just doesn't make sense. One of the residents said that the itch could show up and then the rash later, but I'm like it's been four-five days still no rash? Plus the whole worse at night thing?

Melaine
04-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for everyone's help and P&PTs!

The itching is DEFINITELY better last night and today. I didn't take the meds last night but was able to sleep pretty well. (exhausted from all that "resting" at the hospital).

mikala
04-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Hope things continue to improve and your test results come back clear!

mariza
04-20-2012, 06:12 PM
How's it going???

daisymommy
04-20-2012, 10:44 PM
She had the baby! :cheerleader1:
See her newest post :)

Melaine
04-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Update: My midwives and doctors are "discussing" the possibility of whether I actually had pre-eclampsia or if it was indeed cholestasis....apparently my recovery looks more like cholestasis? I guess it doesn't matter at this point but it would be nice to know for sure.

TahliasMom
04-27-2012, 04:51 AM
I was diagnosed with PUPPS at 5 weeks. It's been awful. Zyrtec and Benadryl don't help. I have been using tar soap, short lukewarm showers and aloe. It started with a rash on tops of my hands and red blotchy spots on my chest. Then progressed to welts on y inner elbows, behind my knees and on my inner calves. When I get to second trimester they will try presidone. Once the placenta for its a barrier against drugs...