PDA

View Full Version : Idling cars

*myfoursons
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I walk to school, and go past the car drop-off pick-up lane. I can't tell you how many cars are sitting there idling away, for 15 minutes or more!

People line up early for pick-up, and some of the cars might be there for 30 minutes. Who lets their car idle for that long? Listen, if it's 40 degrees or lower, or maybe 85 or higher, fine, keep your car on. But otherwise, turn off your damn car!

And don't get me stated on the school buses that always have their engines on, spewing out noxious fumes, aarrggh.

ABO Mama
04-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I hate that too! And I don't even want to discuss the pick up/drop off line issue...it really should be simple.

belovedgandp
04-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Our district made a big deal about the "idle free zones" in front of our schools. So now we have cars in front of the signs idling. And yes FOREVER. I picked my son up early from school this week for an appointment. I was walking into school 40 minutes before dismissal time and the lady that is always in the same spot was already there and idling.

1 - who on earth has an extra 40 minutes to sit outside an elementary school everyday?
2 - it was gorgeous like we rarely have gorgeous; high-60's and sunny with a slight breeze - turn off your engine. She was alone in the car; no sleeping baby or animal or anything.

I am frequently early to preschool drop-off because we are eating in the car. Even with sitting there for 20 minutes I've never felt the need to run the car while waiting to do drop-off even through the winter.

AshleyAnn
04-14-2012, 12:58 AM
That drives me crazy too. The ex and I used to fight over him letting the car idle. It drove me up and wall that he would waste gas while playing with his phone or listening to a song on the radio. TURN THE DAMN CAR OFF!

I too wonder about these people who sit in line forever to pick up thier kids. Your kids will be fine if you show up 10 minutes after they release the kids and the line dies down. (Unrelated by my SIL recently posted on FB a lady in the pick up line used her 30 minutes to pop zits and pluck her mustache. Really? do that at home if you must and be late to pickup. Your kid will thank you!)

jenmcadams
04-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I too wonder about these people who sit in line forever to pick up thier kids. Your kids will be fine if you show up 10 minutes after they release the kids and the line dies down.

Sorry this is somewhat OT:

Totally get the annoyance at idling, but just wanted to respond to this one. I have kids at two school with relatively close pick-up times (and no bus option). It's a 10 min drive from one school to the other, so I'll often get in line 20-25 min before dismissal so I'm at the front (I use the time to clear email, sort mail, make phone calls, etc.). My DD speeds from her classroom to our car and we drive to my DS's school and are often just pulling up as the bell rings. He's only 6 and gets nervous (he has some anxiety issues) if he has to wait for more than 5-10 min, so we normally park there and get out to get him (b/c by the time we get to his school, the car line is often stretched so many blocks that we'd end up waiting 10-15 min). My other friends who get in line early are often speeding to after school activities that start within 10 min of pick-up...

AshleyAnn
04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Sorry this is somewhat OT:

Totally get the annoyance at idling, but just wanted to respond to this one. I have kids at two school with relatively close pick-up times (and no bus option). It's a 10 min drive from one school to the other, so I'll often get in line 20-25 min before dismissal so I'm at the front (I use the time to clear email, sort mail, make phone calls, etc.). My DD speeds from her classroom to our car and we drive to my DS's school and are often just pulling up as the bell rings. He's only 6 and gets nervous (he has some anxiety issues) if he has to wait for more than 5-10 min, so we normally park there and get out to get him (b/c by the time we get to his school, the car line is often stretched so many blocks that we'd end up waiting 10-15 min). My other friends who get in line early are often speeding to after school activities that start within 10 min of pick-up...

Ok that makes sense. Its very uncommon here for parents to have kids at multiple schools unless they are elem, jr high, and high school. The upper level school release later so its not a problem.

carolinamama
04-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh, this really bothers me. Yeah, in extreme heat or cold. But in great spring weather?

And I don't understand the whole carpool thing - lining up 30+ minutes before school lets out. We live 1.1 mi from the school. It takes my neighbors 45 minutes to do school pickup. They complain about it. WHY are you not walking???? I walk up there almost everyday. It's a nice walk and good for the kids. I'm not gone from my house any longer than you are. Sorry to hijack. That's been on my mind for awhile now and since I can't gripe to our neighbors who all drive......

scrooks
04-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Sometimes I get in the preschool line up early if I happen to be out and about running errands and do not want to go all the way home. There are plenty of reasons people may be there early.

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Even on the really cold or hot days I turn mine off. I am bothered by many of the things my fellow car line parents do.
Eta- I am always early. In the AM I am early because I want my frickin money's worth for the program; I'm not pleased with paying for time he could be in the class vs waiting in line (day starts at 8:30 and they don't start unloading till then). In the afternoon, I prefer to get there early and get home in time for ds1. I like the down time; I can read in peace.

belovedgandp
04-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I've just never felt the need to idle my car. It is so wasteful. I sit outside of schools for 15-30 minutes on a regular basis in all kinds of weather.

*myfoursons
04-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone :)

I wonder how hard it would be to go to the school board about a no idling policy ( of course, impossible to enforce, but just to ease awareness.) thanks for the idea!