PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain Kohls to me, please?

anonomom
04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
I have some friends who swear by Kohls and are always talking about how they got so much stuff really cheap there. I almost never think to shop there, but I got a $10 gift card in the mail so I decided to check it out. Specifically, I was looking for casual shorts/skorts for my 6yo.

I just about died when I went to the girl's section (she's in a size 7) and found a small table of shorts. $20 for POLYESTER "athletic" shorts!! Sure, they were 40% off, but still -- $12 for a pair of awful quality shorts. And those were the cheapest option! Slightly nicer shorts started at $13 each and went up (waaay up) from there (one rounder of denim shorts was list priced at $36 each).

I think I must have been doing it wrong -- is Kohls the kind of place where you can only really shop the clearance racks? There did seem to be some decent deals there -- pants for $8-10 each, but that's not what I need right now.

Can someone give me some Kohls tips?

Katigre
04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
A few things about Kohl's:

1. The sticker price is not the real price b/c everything is always 30-40% off
2. Your DD is a size 7 which means she's moved up into 'big girls sizes' which are $$$ier than baby/toddler where better deals are to be had
3. If you stick to the Kohl's brand (Jumping Beans) you get better prices than pricer carter's/osh gosh
4. Their clearance is ok but not amazing b/c they clearance off of the sticker price not the 'daily sale price' so it ends up being slightly cheaper than regular kohl's but not by much
5. Their women's clothing is VERY reasonable in price as are their accessories, that is what I like there especially.

mom2one
04-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Also, you might want to consider getting the Kohls CC. You will be mailed coupons all the time to save money. Also, if you dont get the 30% off code, you can still find the 30% code online and get the percentage off, plus there is always a free ship code out there for card holders.

A new 30% deal starts tomorrow (the 18th). I just got a $10 off deal for going paperless with the CC bill, so I will head out to see what I can get.

Also, I agree with PP about sizing. My DS is now in a size 8. I miss jumping beans deals. Not so crazy about the section I need to shop for him right now.

HTH
Susan

geochick
04-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I get almost all of my Kohls deals online...I watch Slickdeals. There's always something popping up. Kohls.com allows you to enter two discount codes, so always do a Google Search before you purchase online.

ang79
04-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I love Kohls but only shop there when I have 20% or 30% coupons as a card holder. And then I mainly only shop from the clearance racks, or sometimes a good sale price. I tend to buy at their end of season clearances and then save the clothes for the next year for my girls. I love their awesome return policy, there is no time frame, so I can buy clothes or shoes for a year in advance and if they end up not being the right size or fit then, I just take it back to the store and since I have a Kohls card that I put all my purchases on, I don't even have to keep my receipts, they just scan my card and it comes up. Last fall I was able to get size 6 summer dresses (nice ones, not just cotton play dresses) on clearance online for $4-$8 a piece! My daughter will be wearing them this summer. I've also gotten shoes for the girls for $8 and under and just hang on to them til the right season. I like the Jumping Beans brand for play clothes (cotton shorts, tees, leggings, etc.), but have also found good deals on Carters and Oshkosh at times too.

I shop clearance racks for clothes for myself and get DH's khaki pants and shoes there as well. I also get K-Cups for my keurig when they go on sale and I can stack a 30% on top of the sale. Waiting for another good deal on these because I'm just about out!

NJ_Mom2011
04-17-2012, 02:01 PM
OP, I agree with you about Kohls. I love how they have those electronic pricing boards where they often change pricing while you shop . . .

While we can all agree that 40% is meaningless there, I still have had some luck with their toy section. If you get Jumping Beans, you have to size 1 size up from the Carters equivalent, I notice.

iaam
04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I get almost all of my Kohls deals online...I watch Slickdeals. There's always something popping up. Kohls.com allows you to enter two discount codes, so always do a Google Search before you purchase online.

I completely agree with this approach - there is a Kohl's very close to where we live and the only time I go into the store is to make a return (their return policy is amazing)!

star04
04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
And Kohl's Cash to use on later purchases. (Must earn during a certain period, and spend during a certain period.) You can get good deals stacking 30% and earning Kohl's Cash when the promos overlap. However, you cannot stack Cash with coupons when spending.

sidmand
04-17-2012, 05:37 PM

I used to hate Kohl's. I think there was even going to be a lawsuit (not sure what happened with that) in our state because in order to advertise XX% off you actually have to sell it at 100% for a certain amount of time and Kohl's didn't!

But last year there was a stackable 30% and maybe 15% and the deals to be had were just amazing. Every once in awhile I had gotten a really good deal before but that blew them all out of the water! And their women's clothes fit me pretty well. So, I hardly ever go into the store but if there is a deal online, I will shop. I got a Kohl's card just for the frequent deals to be had (free shipping always!).

belovedgandp
04-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I've never had much luck on kids clothes there. I am a loyal shopper though. I too am a majority on-line even though one store is about a mile from my house and two others are in my normal path.

I like the womens clothing.

I keep DH stocked in Levi's and polo shirts. With the Kohl's Credit card for 30% and free shipping I get great deals on those. He's tall and thin and it would take me hitting many stores in person to get the right size jeans for him. I love ordering 6 pairs at once and being done with it.

The housewares can be reasonable for towels, bedding, and some kitchenware.

Toys are a stocking nightmare in the store, but can score some deals on-line.

wellyes
04-17-2012, 06:16 PM
It's super cheap.Even when not looking for a deal, with the standard cardholder-always-gets-15%-off, kids shorts and tshirts are $5 or less each.
The quality is OK. It lasts a season without pilling/getting scratchy.

DrSally
04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
The price tags are not the price that you pay, ever. Things are *always* on sale and then there are coupons and KK on top of that. I shopped there occassionally before I figured out the system, and then couldn't believe I had ever shopped there wo/coupons. It's the only store card I have b/c I think the coupons make it worth it. I usually shope there when they have 20-30% off coupons and you can earn KK on top of that.

I go in waves as to whether I find something I like there. The toddler clothes are a good deal. I can see how the big girl clothes are more expensive. I agree w/pp's that the clearance prices aren't really that much cheaper than sale prices. I like some of the women's clothing there. They have pretty good prices on levi's and Lee jeans. A good petite section, cute, casual skorts, decent t's, etc.

MSWR0319
04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
My method, especially for kids clothes, is to buy online when there's 30% off codes, Kohls cash, and early bird sales. I can usually get DS's play clothes/ Jumping Beans brand for about $3.75/piece plus KC. He's about to move up in size though so my piece price will go up. I can usually get Carter's PJs for under $5 I think, maybe a tad more. I just wait till the "stars align" before I buy anything there and I can get good deals.

keckert
04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Ditto everyone else, I almost ALWAYS shop online with multiple codes. I find the prices to be much better online.