PDA

View Full Version : OKay, need some moral support UPDATE: Post 39

BabyBearsMom
04-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Today is my due date. I went to the midwife yesterday and had a 40 week sono to check on baby. Apparently, my uterine environment is very "hospitable" and baby is happy as a clam. Good for baby. I, on the other hand, am uncomfortable, and today is my first day of maternity leave which I feel like I am wasting without a baby. I keep telling myself that babies are easier to take care of when they are inside vs. out and that if she isn't ready, she just isn't ready. But since I am trying for a VBAC, they can't induce me or even break my water to move things along, so I have to go into labor on my own or they will do another C-Section. I was able to buy myself a few extra days on the C-Section (they wanted the 25th, but I gave them doe eyes and pleaded to push to Friday 27th so my husband wouldn't have to take so much time off of work...not really a full truth since my DH has plenty of PTO and will probably take a few more days off the following week but I wanted to get this kid a little more time and I'm not above batting my eye lashes at an OB :rotflmao:) but I feel like a ticking time bomb.

They stripped my membranes yesterday which did nothing but give me cramps. I did acupuncture on Saturday which seemed to drive the baby crazy but didn't have any impact on my cervix. I take evening primrose and black cohosh like it is my job. I am putting red pepper on my dinner nightly to add some spice. I'm officially done with "taking it easy" and am just doing everything I usually do under the thought that obviously, I am making things too nice for this kid. I talked to the midwife at length about my options and she told me that it was just her "gut feeling" but my body just isn't ready yet and nothing I do is going to make it ready, so it is just wait and see.

Not really looking for advice, just commiseration. Also, what would you do to take your mind off of it? I'm going shopping today with my sister, trying to sleep as much as I can to prepare for future sleepless nights and am trying to come up with other happy things to do.

TwinFoxes
04-18-2012, 10:16 AM
No advice, or even BTDT, just hugs. :hug:

Melaine
04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm a couple weeks behind you and am going INSANE already. I hope things get moving for you quickly!

karstmama
04-18-2012, 10:22 AM
well, first - congrats on being such a great cook! way to bake a baby!

second - i'm a midwife, too (though not practicing) and my first line advice was sex, sex, sex - that's some powerful prostaglandin application, and in a fun package. tell him to pay homage to your breasts/nipples as well as doing the deed. you can do a bit of research and do some self nipple-stim, too - but again, you're hoping to get something going so if it's not happening, give up & try again tomorrow or whatever.

if that starts anything, go for a long walk. lots of moving is good, but so is lots of rest so don't overdo in the hope of starting things. walk for your sanity and if you're having contractions, but don't walk in hope of *starting* them if your uterus is quiet.

in general, rest when you can, try to stimulate contractions but don't obsess, and enjoy the last of your pregnancy! being term is such a blessing.

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
2 weeks past edd. :). Gym, yoga, swimming, volunteered at ds1's school, movies, shopping, dinner out...basically just lived life and tried to ignore the calendar. I did a really great job with it with ds2 bc I figured I'd be late (I was).

BDKmom
04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm still 6 weeks out, so can't really commiserate, but wanted to send labor mojo your way. If I had time off before the baby, I would get a pedicure, maybe a haircut if it was due. Maybe do some grocery shopping or precook some meals if you feel up to it. Hopefully she will decide to make her appearance soon!

Jacksmommy2b
04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
No advice here, just a hug.

And way to go for pushing your c/s back to the 27th! I had a VBAC with my second and it was so worth it!

I hope baby gets on board soon!

Multimama
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
I just went through this, but I still probably don't have any advice you'll love to hear. It's hard. You will get through it. It is worth it to wait it out. That's the best I can offer.

I do wonder why they wouldn't be able to break your water if you were far enough dilated. I don't know of any studies that would rule that out as an option. Foley bulb catheter inductions are also done for VBACs if people aren't dilated enough to start with AROM. These are the things I discussed with my care providers as I started getting close to my C/S date. Of course I don't know the reason for your first C/S so I'm just talking hypothetical options here. Also I think it's awesome that you pushed for your C/S to be moved back to the 27th, but why won't they go further than that? You won't be 42 weeks until May 2nd. Some people just gestate their babies longer and you aren't truly overdue until 42 weeks.

As far as what to do in the meantime, the others have had good suggestions. I also tried to do something fun everyday that I probably wouldn't once the baby came, like go see a movie at the theater. But honestly there is no easy way to get through it. The weeks I went overdue were the hardest time of my pregnancy by far. But you will get through it. And it will be worth it. I know I said that already, but it's the truth. :)

MoJo
04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
A LOT can happen in 9 days. . . and I'm pretty sure is statistically LIKELY to happen in 9 days. . . but I know that doesn't make it much easier when you're living it.

Labor mojo headed your way along with with prayers for a successful VBAC!

wendibird22
04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
No VBAC experience, but I was 9 days late with DD1 and I can relate to the just wanting it to be over. I'm convinced that had I not been induced DD1 will still be in there 5 yr later! DD2 on the other hand came 8 days early after having my membranes stripped. I think it took at least 12hr after the stripping for things to kick in, so maybe things will get moving for you later today.

Sending you good labor vibes!

Katigre
04-18-2012, 12:30 PM
I just went through this, but I still probably don't have any advice you'll love to hear. It's hard. You will get through it. It is worth it to wait it out. That's the best I can offer.

I do wonder why they wouldn't be able to break your water if you were far enough dilated. I don't know of any studies that would rule that out as an option. Foley bulb catheter inductions are also done for VBACs if people aren't dilated enough to start with AROM. These are the things I discussed with my care providers as I started getting close to my C/S date. Of course I don't know the reason for your first C/S so I'm just talking hypothetical options here. Also I think it's awesome that you pushed for your C/S to be moved back to the 27th, but why won't they go further than that? You won't be 42 weeks until May 2nd. Some people just gestate their babies longer and you aren't truly overdue until 42 weeks.

As far as what to do in the meantime, the others have had good suggestions. I also tried to do something fun everyday that I probably wouldn't once the baby came, like go see a movie at the theater. But honestly there is no easy way to get through it. The weeks I went overdue were the hardest time of my pregnancy by far. But you will get through it. And it will be worth it. I know I said that already, but it's the truth. :)
ITA with all of this. Is there any way to not start your maternity leave until you go into labor?

wallawala
04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Sending you hugs!

Maybe think of this a gift from that new babe you're cooking. They want you to have a little vacation to rest up and invest in yourself before they arrive! A last minute bonus babymoon!!

I know the feeling of "losing" time once your maternity leave clock is ticking and baby isn't here yet. Plan some rare treats for yourself to make the time pass faster... a pedicure? meet some friends out for lunch that you couldn't do if you had work too?

Indianamom2
04-18-2012, 12:35 PM
2 weeks past edd. :). Gym, yoga, swimming, volunteered at ds1's school, movies, shopping, dinner out...basically just lived life and tried to ignore the calendar. I did a really great job with it with ds2 bc I figured I'd be late (I was).

:yeahthat:
Almost 2 week late with both kiddos here too. One came on her own, one was induced. Nothing I did made a bit of difference. Rest and do what you want. Enjoy the spring weather and the last few peaceful moments.

sntm
04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Sex - and afterwards put your pelvis up so the semen prostaglandins can work.

Distraction. Time. It really really sucks, I'm sure. Get a massage or a pedicure if you can, something to treat yourself.

trcy
04-18-2012, 04:51 PM
No advice, but I am sending labor mojo for you. Good luck!

jjjo1112
04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm less than 2 weeks from my due date and also a VBAC hopeful. I was late with my other 3 kiddos and just assume that I will be late with this one too. My last baby was a VBAC baby and she was a week overdue. I just tried to focus on the idea that the due date was just an estimate give or take a few weeks and really looked at 42 weeks as the end. To pass the time, I planned activities with the kids. I am currently having a babysitter here once a week when I have my appointments but I have her stay the whole day, so I meet a friend for lunch, get a pedicure, see a movie, go shopping, whatever I want. It's really nice and I look forward to that day to myself. I'm also trying to enjoy my time at night- even though I don't sleep well because I know soon enough that time won't be my own :) DH and I are going out for dinner this weekend since that won't happen for a while after the baby is born. I'm also having my cleaning lady do an extra hour or two when she comes to do some deep cleaning tasks that I really want done but am not comfortable enough to do myself. With my last kids, nothing I did (sex, walking, stripping membranes, EPO) worked to put me into labor- it didn't happen until my body was ready. This time around I'm not doing anything- it will happen on it's own. Good luck.

elektra
04-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Labor mojo coming your way!!

daisymommy
04-18-2012, 09:26 PM
I went a week late with #3, so I know the feeling of "hurry up!".
I would also highly recommend sex (semen naturally softens and thins out the cervix just like being induced with Cervadil), with the big O if at all possible to cause contractions, & nipple stimulation (causes more contractions). It's worked twice for me to get baby to come out :)

Crossing my fingers for you!

mctlaw
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Sending you lots of mojo Babybear'smom! I saw you posted that they made you schedule a C and I ws kind of annoyed on your behalf because that it not good for your mojo or psyche!

I don't understand why they won't do AROM....I get the issue w/ pitocin but I've never heard AROM hs been shown to cause the type of issues they are trying to avoid w/ you as a VBAC candidate. Any way you could innocently ask them to direct you to the evidence on that one?

And just wanted to add to the other PPs that a ton can happen in 9 days....while many moms don't go into labor by due date, by 9 days post most moms will, so statistics are on your side! :cheerleader1:Come on baby girl!

lmh2402
04-18-2012, 10:09 PM
sending lots of positive thoughts and labor vibes your way!!! :cheerleader1: :hug:

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2012, 10:12 PM
I can see why no AROM. If it doesn't start labor, then what? YOu're screwed if they won't used pitocin and the c-section clock is ticking. If she were 4-5cm, low...then it'd be a possibility otherwise, I understand the reasoning. Doesn't help OP though. :(

lovin2shop
04-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Lots of labor vibes coming your way!!!

daisymommy
04-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Yep, agreeing with Beth.
With DS1 I was 7cm when I got to the hospital, but not in labor (no contractions). They broke my water, "to hurry things along"--their words. Did not produce any cntrx. Nearly 24 hours later they were talking C section, even though baby and I were fine...I was just taking too long. They allowed pit at that point, followed by an epidural a few hours later (see the cascade of interventions?), and hours after that baby was born all drugged up and stressed out.

I wish to this day that I had of just waited until my body was ready.

I know you have other circumstances with a VBAC and not being able to wait forever, but I definitely wouldn't have your water broken!

And 9 days is a long time really. I'll bet things happen by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

momm
04-19-2012, 06:56 AM
how are you today, babybearsmom?

arivecchi
04-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Sending labor vibes!

BabyBearsMom
04-19-2012, 07:16 AM
how are you today, babybearsmom?

Alas, I woke up this AM feeling fine and very pregnant.

BabyBearsMom
04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all the support everyone. They say no AROM or intervention because my body isn't ready for labor and it is unlikely to work. I'm 1.5 cm and 80% effaced so it would take me a long time to get to 10 and without the option of pit, if things don't start moving they will have to go straight to a C. I'm trying to be patient. I booked a prenatal massage for this afternoon abeam trying to view this time as a prebaby vacation. I'm going in tomorrow for a non-stress test. My OB's office is a top VBAC office in my metro area and I'm just hoping for a little good luck.

theriviera
04-19-2012, 07:35 AM
I was a week late with DD1 and I know how painful that wait is.

DD2 came a week early. I am convinced that it was because I went to a chiro who specializes in prenatal (you can look for one who practices the Webster technique). She didn't do any adjustments really but did massage on all of the liagaments around my pelvis. She couldn't believe how tight I was. I had 2 of those "massages" (in quotes b/c it was painful, not relaxing) and DD2 came a week early (and caught me off guard!). It was also a really fast labor as compared to DD1.

My theory is that labor with DD1 was so long (and she was late) because my pelvis had a hard time opening up enough for her to drop. I was having a ton of contractions but they were not productive.

Good luck and sending lots of labor vibes your way!

Jenn850
04-19-2012, 08:08 AM
No advice, just commiseration! My DS was almost 2 weeks late. I was hoping for a vbac. DD was a planned section which I was devastated about. After all the waiting the second time, I started thinking maybe a planned section isn't all bad! Hang in there! Keep us updated!

legaleagle
04-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Hoping things get moving for you soon - with DS2 (VBAC after scheduled C for breech with DS1), I went into labor at 40w4d, after being maybe 1 cm and 50% effaced 2 days before. I was in labor about 24 hours total, and stalled out at 5 cm after getting the epidural but the OB was fine with low dose pit and also let me labor down for 3 hours after getting to 10 cm.

Nyfeara
04-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I didn't go past my EDD with either, but I had a non-stress test done with DS2 late in the afternoon on a Monday. It showed absolutely NOTHING going on. I was 1.5 wks away from EDD. My water broke 5:30am the following morning and labor felt like it went from 0-60 within an hour (unlike my first). So, even if the test doesn't show anything, doesn't mean it can't/won't happen soon.

Tondi G
04-20-2012, 01:55 AM
I would go for another acupuncture appointment and I second or 3rd the suggestion of sex.... those natural prostaglandins can be very helpful! Hope that little person makes their entrance soon! Hang in there!

BabyBearsMom
04-20-2012, 07:23 AM
My DH wants me to give you his whole hearted thanks for all of the sex suggestions. Exact quote "those mommy Board ladies are starting to grow on me." I really can't think of anything less appealing right now my body feels like there is no room for anything else. I am already forcing myself just to eat because there is no room for food. Plus baby is so low that I can Actually feel her head if I do a kegal (sorry tmi) so I'm not sure that I could even fit anything. My midwife can't figure out how a baby can be this low withoutmy cervix dialating.

SkyrMommy
04-20-2012, 08:17 AM
:hug: I know just how you feel, DD decided to join us 12 days past her due date. She was just so heavy head down I couldn't believe she wasn't showing us either.

Sending some good welcoming vibes to baby, hopefully she'll decide it's time today!

sntm
04-20-2012, 01:09 PM
My DH wants me to give you his whole hearted thanks for all of the sex suggestions. Exact quote "those mommy Board ladies are starting to grow on me." I really can't think of anything less appealing right now my body feels like there is no room for anything else. I am already forcing myself just to eat because there is no room for food. Plus baby is so low that I can Actually feel her head if I do a kegal (sorry tmi) so I'm not sure that I could even fit anything. My midwife can't figure out how a baby can be this low withoutmy cervix dialating.

Snort.

Sex at this point will be unsexy. Tell him to go get himself fully ready - all you want is his semen. ;)

BabyBearsMom
04-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Snort.

Sex at this point will be unsexy. Tell him to go get himself fully ready - all you want is his semen. ;)

You just made me spit out my lunch. I can just imagine this convo with my DH.

Mopey
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I cannot remember if I have written to say I am thinking of you (ahhhh, sleep deprivation) but I am and sending all sorts of amazing mojo your way!! Luck luck luck!!

And yes, such unsexy sex :rotflmao:

Tondi G
04-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Snort.

Yeah tell him it's not about him having a fun drawn out session... you need him to make a deposit and be done! :)

I totally get what you are saying about the baby being LOW.... my DS2 was low and it made the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy very uncomfortable .... he was killing my bladder. Hopefully when labor kicks in you will dilate crazy fast!

BabyBearsMom
04-25-2012, 09:46 PM
After going to the OB yesterday with no progress and resigning myself to another C Section on Friday...I finally went into labor at 3 am all by myself. I labored at home until 11:30 and got to the hospital at 10cm!!!! No time for an epidural. I freaked out but calmed myseld by thinking of all the moms here who managed a natural birth I pushed DD2 out in about 20 minutes. Successful VBAC! I really thought that all hope if my VBaC was lost but this cub had other ideas, I guess. Since everything went so fast, I'm nursing a pretty nasty 3rd degree tear but feeling well otherwise. DD2 is gorgeous and doing great. Thanks so much for all the support and putting up with all my whining.

edurnemk
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Congratulations! :cheerleader1: So glad you got the VBAC you wanted.

SnuggleBuggles
04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Wow! Congratulations! Welcome, little one!

Multimama
04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Congratulations on your little one and your VBAC! So happy to read this update. :D

daisymommy
04-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh my gosh!!!
That's awesome! Congratulations!
Now you can say you got a VBAC and a natural delivery under your belt. Way to go mama!

I hope your healing comes quickly and easily.

Enjoy your baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmommy
04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1:
I'm so excited to read your update!! Congrats on such a great VBAC! It is just great to read your story right now as I hope that mine goes so well in a few weeks!

swrc00
04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Yippee! Such good news! I am glad you got the birth you wanted!:yay:

weech
04-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Yay! Congrats!! :jammin:

legaleagle
04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Congrats!

waitingforgrace
04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Congrats, wonderful update! I hope you heal well and quickly.

elektra
04-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Congrats! Sorry about the tear. :(But it sounds like everything else went really well!

TwinFoxes
04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Woo hoo! I'm so happy you got the birth experience you wanted (well, except for the tear!) Welcome to the world little one. :)

BDKmom
04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Congratulations!! Yay!! So excited that everything went well and that your little one has finally arrived! Hope your recovery is a breeze. Kisses to the new baby girl!

MontrealMum
04-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Big congratulations! I'm so happy for you :yay: And welcome to the world to your new little cub :cheerleader1:

essnce629
04-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh wow, so excited for you! And a big thumbs up to you for managing to stay at home all the way to 10cm!!!! I bet you didn't think you were that far along!!! What a shock that must have been! Enjoy your babymoon and get some rest.

theriviera
04-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!

Trigglet
04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Hurray! So cool that you got the VBAC you wanted (minus the tear, obviously). Hope the bliss of your new little one magically gets rid of the pain :bighand: What a great ending to your story.

Jenn850
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Yahoo!!!! Many Congrats!!!!

lovin2shop
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Congratulations!

sntm
04-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Congrats! Hope you heal up soon.

Beth24
04-25-2012, 11:50 PM
So happy for you. Congratulations. :yay:

mom2MandC
04-26-2012, 04:56 AM
YAY!!! Congratulations on your new little girl! So happy you got the VBAC you wanted!!! Hope your tear heals quickly and feels better soon!

MSWR0319
04-26-2012, 07:15 AM
So happy you got the birth you wanted!! Congrats on your new DD. I was just thinking about you yesterday.

mctlaw
04-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Yay, Babybearsmom! You did great! So happy you got a positive birthing experience along with your new baby girl!

lizzywednesday
04-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Hooray! :yay:

Congrats BabyBearsMom, Baby Bear and Baby Sister Bear! (And BabyBearsMom's DH for being so patient while the ladies of the board sent him into giggle fits.)

Very happy for you & sending healing thoughts your way. Enjoy those precious newborn snuggles.

trcy
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
After going to the OB yesterday with no progress and resigning myself to another C Section on Friday...I finally went into labor at 3 am all by myself. I labored at home until 11:30 and got to the hospital at 10cm!!!! No time for an epidural. I freaked out but calmed myseld by thinking of all the moms here who managed a natural birth I pushed DD2 out in about 20 minutes. Successful VBAC! I really thought that all hope if my VBaC was lost but this cub had other ideas, I guess. Since everything went so fast, I'm nursing a pretty nasty 3rd degree tear but feeling well otherwise. DD2 is gorgeous and doing great. Thanks so much for all the support and putting up with all my whining.
Congrats! So glad you got your VBAC! :cheerleader1:

sweet_pea
04-26-2012, 09:57 AM
So glad to read your update – congratulations to all the "Bears!"

KLD313
04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Congratulations! So glad you got your VBAC!

Ceepa
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Congratulations on girl cub #2!

kdeunc
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Congratulations!

Tondi G
04-26-2012, 02:12 PM
YAY! Congrats Mama and welcome to the world little one! Glad you had a successful VBAC and a natural birth to boot! Hope that tear heals up nicely for you!

boltfam
04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Congratulations, and welcome little girl!:cheerleader1:

amldaley
04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!

Mopey
04-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Woooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooo!

Way to go Mama!! Congratulations and welcome to the new girl! :bighand:

Bens Momma
04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Congrats!!!! How exciting, you're a real trooper and I'm so happy that although fast, it turned out how you'd hoped. Take care of yourself and enjoy the snuggles with your new little one!

MamaMolly
04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Congrats, MamaBear and all the whole bear family!

KrisM
04-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Congrats! I'm glad it went so well for you.

lmh2402
04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Congratulations!! So glad things worked out as you had hoped:yay:

citymama
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Yeah mama! Those tears are no fun (I had a 4th degree with my unmedicated vbac) but they heal quickly enough. Welcome little bear cub!