PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Need to replace 6y/o DD1's bike

MommyAllison
04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
DD1 learned to ride on a balance bike last spring, rode all summer on an 18" pedal bike, which now has some sort of issue and we'd like to replace it. The 18" is just a cheap TRU type bike we bought at a garage sale a few years ago. Now that she's riding well, we'd like to get a nicer bike for her.

First question - Size.

Should we go with 16" or 20"? She is almost 6.5, but is fairly petite, probably around 45-46". [ETA: Just measured her, she's 45.5"] I was planning to go with 20" but know we'll need to try each bike out before buying to make sure she fits well. Seems like most websites say 16" is for up to age 8 though - should I be looking at them?

Second question - Brakes

20" seems to be the size that switches from coaster brakes to hand brakes, though I know some models have both. I found a 20" Specialized Hot Rock on CL that looks great, but it only has hand brakes. Should I even consider it? DD1 started out braking by putting her feet down, probably because she was used to the balance bike, but has gotten used to using coaster brakes. The Specialized is $100 so not like it's a screaming deal, but the only other 20" Specialized I've seen is $150, and bike stores are asking that or more for their used 20" bikes.

Any advice would be so appreciated! DH and I are pretty bicycle clueless. :)

stefani
04-18-2012, 11:47 AM
OK, I am no expert in bikes, but this is my experience with DS.

DS is petite ( 48 in at 8 years old) and he just got a 20" Specialized Hotrock last year. It is a coaster bike with hand brake, so he gets to practice using hand brakes.

My thought is that 20" will be too big for your DD, but maybe she has long legs?

You wrote that it is a Specialized Hardrock, but isn't the Hardrock an adult bike line?

A Specialized Hotrock 20" retails for $220, so to get it for $100 is good I think. I paid $80 for DS's and we had to replace the tire tubes.

It seems to me that a 16" Specialized Hotrock will be good for her and I would say that Craigslist is the way to go. We would get DS a brand new bike when he is ready for a 24" one, because that will last for a while, but otherwise every 2 years he gets a "new to him" bike.

Good luck!

MommyAllison
04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Ah yes, I do mean Hot Rock :) thanks! I'll edit my post to correct that.

Thank you for posting! I guess I should take DD1 into a bike shop and see how she fits on the 16" and 20". I think I read in an old thread here that the Hot Rock 20" is smaller than other brands 20" bikes, so I assume the 16" is also smaller? Even though we have DD2 to hand girl bikes down to, I still don't want to buy too small. DS is going to be ready for a pedal bike this summer, so I probably should see if he's ready for a 16", too. (He is tall, with long legs) Thanks again!