PDA

View Full Version : Travel toys for 2 year old?

crl
04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
We are going to be doing some traveling this summer with our kids--some by car and one trip by plane. I could use some suggestions for travel toys for dd, who just turned two.

We have a pretend toy computer that gets used only for long car trips already and she is still interested in that. And as a last resort I hand her my iPad with the piano app open. :rotflmao: I do have an old iPhone now that I am thinking I will load up with movies/tv shows.

She likes stickers so for the plane trip, I plan on lots of stickers. I am also considering a crayon wallet from Etsy (although I think I would have to get two then because ds would want one too, I am pretty sure.)

I was thinking about an I Spy bag from Etsy as well.

Any other fabulous ideas? Maybe a novel electronic toy of some kind?

Thanks!
Catherine

wallawala
04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
What about making her a "passport" with pages for places you see or drive through on the way. She can collect stickers at each place, and a maybe have a page for place-independant achievements... first meal at McDs, count 10 barns, survive a rest-stop bathroom... (prob. bad examples, but customize to what works for your family)

Then she can collect passport stamps (stickers) and have a fun memory book too.

mikala
04-18-2012, 12:53 PM
For driving trips you can also take a cookie sheet along and use it on her lap for coloring, magnet play, etc. The Usborne lift the flap books are great.

Toobs are easy to pack and great for imaginary play. I've seen them cheaper at local stores. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_toys-and-games?_encoding=UTF8&node=165793011&field-brandtextbin=Safari#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=toob&rh=n%3A165793011%2Ck%3Atoob

I'd visit the dollar store or dollar section of Target and pick up some little cars or other things that might be novel for a little while.

A roll of masking or painters tape is also easy to pack and allows tiny fingers a chance to be destructive without actually hurting anything.

These are a little bigger but fun for that age:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=melissa+and+doug+dress+up#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=melissa+and+doug+dress+up+magnetic+dolls&sprefix=melissa+and+doug+dress%2Caps%2C260&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amelissa+and+doug+dress+up+magneti c+dolls

Does she like lacing or puzzles? These are really lightweight and easy to carry. They were part of the B&N 50% off sale about a month ago, don't know if they're still on sale.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=lauri+toys+toddler+tote&sprefix=lauri+toys%2Ctoys-and-games%2C224&rh=n%3A165793011%2Ck%3Alauri+toys+toddler+tote&ajr=0

My child isn't the biggest fan of these but a friend's 2 year old loves magnetic scenes like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Smethport-Specialty-Magnetic-Zoo-Playboard/dp/B000VWEEOA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1334767719&sr=1-1-fkmr2

rin
04-18-2012, 12:55 PM
My DD (turning 2 in 2 weeks) currently loves Magnadoodles for airplane rides. She also loves markers, so for plane trips we buy her a coloring book and those markers that only color on the coloring book, nowhere else. It's always a big hit, and she'll easily spend an hour on one of those coloring books.

We've also gotten some good mileage out of CDs of kid songs (we bought some kid-sized headphones and she listens to an iPod). Current favorites are Elizabeth Mitchell and Raffi.

kristac
04-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Our current car favs are
M&D Latches board
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Latches-Board/dp/B000NVBE1A/ref=pd_sim_t_1

M&D Maze
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-Vehicles/dp/B000GKXYD4/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1334769832&sr=1-2

Poke-a-dot Old McDonald's Farm
http://www.amazon.com/Poke-Dot-MacDonalds-Poke-able-Poppin/dp/160169024X/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_1_dp

Magnadoodle

Leap Frog My Discovery House
http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-19180-My-Discovery-House/dp/B004MWJLHK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1334768155&sr=1-1

Flip and Learn Alphabet (we got ours at Kohls or TJ Maxx I think)
http://compare.ebay.com/like/230770858438?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

ExcitedMamma
04-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Another vote for the leapfrog discovery house, my DH is still shocked how much DS loves it, and the mini magnadoodle.

Since you have an iPad you might consider downloading some movies to it and getting some theme items to go along. DS only watches cartoons and movies on long car trips on the iPad and really loves the characters so we got him some Nemo and Cars books for the car. Also lots of free apps and pretty great cheap apps for kids with music and fun stuff.

It's pricey but you could consider the Leappad, especially if you don't want little hands all over your iPad. It was a Christmas gift to DS from Grandparents and he was never very into, much preferring to play with the iPad, but recently gave it to him on a car trip and he loved it and no longer asks for my iPad!

crl
04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Thank you for all the great ideas!

Catherine

mikala
04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
It's pricey but you could consider the Leappad, especially if you don't want little hands all over your iPad. It was a Christmas gift to DS from Grandparents and he was never very into, much preferring to play with the iPad, but recently gave it to him on a car trip and he loved it and no longer asks for my iPad!

Which apps does he like? My DS is a bit older than yours and also got one from as a gift but it hasn't won out over the iPad or my smartphone. He's good at jewel train and the pet app but it doesn't keep his attention anywhere near as long as all the free/really cheap iPad and Android apps.

ExcitedMamma
04-18-2012, 11:48 PM
We don't have many since he wasn't into it at first so mostly the free ones that came with it. He loves the monster music one that I think I downloaded with the free code that came with it, have you checked that out? He has the Nemo cartridge (Pixar friends?), Cars cartridge and the Mr. pencil cartridge. We don't change the cartridge games much though so I'm not sure how much he plays with them. You might try taking it away for awhile and see if that helps. I honestly thought it was a very expensive waste at first especially since its so difficult to download to. I think it was at least two months that it was out of sight before I brought it out again. Not sure if the novelty helped or he was just too young at first. Since your child is older you could consider asking for input on buying a game or app, he dinosaur one sounds great but I think my DS is too young. Good luck and if you're successful getting interested in it I would love to hear what game or app worked to keep my DS interested!

KLD313
04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Having just spent 20 hrs in the car with DD and now on our way back home the best thing by far is the iPad. I just propped it up on a blanket and handed it to her. The next best thing is Leapfrog storytime pad, she uses that for a long time. The rest was just random things I kept handing her including snacks.

SoCalMommy
04-21-2012, 05:18 PM
For those of you who let your DC play with your iPad, how do you prevent them from getting into your email, itunes, etc? My DD is only 17 months and although I will sit with her, she is constantly hitting the other buttons. She has almost bought upgrades and apps she is so quick!

Are there locks or controls to monitor this? I am clueless and would love help!

crl
04-22-2012, 11:04 AM
For those of you who let your DC play with your iPad, how do you prevent them from getting into your email, itunes, etc? My DD is only 17 months and although I will sit with her, she is constantly hitting the other buttons. She has almost bought upgrades and apps she is so quick!

I only give her my ipad on loooonnngg car rides and I don't have 3G turned on so since we aren't at home she can't access the internet so no email or buying apps. I assume you could put it in airplane mode to accomplish the same thing.

Catherine

KLD313
04-22-2012, 04:06 PM

I also only have wifi so she can't buy anything but at home I just watch her. I did set up security controls so she can't delete apps. She deleted a ton before I figured that out. She also does things to it that I have no clue how she did but they're easily fixable. I think there are controls for in app purchases.

SoCalMommy
04-23-2012, 02:22 AM
Thank you! Never thought of airplane mode. :)

I just found some controls and will start to play with it.

Many thanks!!!

larig
04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
amazon has some lap-sized felt boards that I think are a great low-tech toy. DS has the farm one. He also has a magnetic Thomas book (there are train magnets to use in the book).

ExcitedMamma
04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
KLD313 How do you prevent Apps from being deleted? That would be a huge help!

KLD313
04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
KLD313 How do you prevent Apps from being deleted? That would be a huge help!

Go to settings and then general then restrictions. In there will be a choice called deleting apps and you just turn it off. You will have to set up a password and I'm not sure when because I can't remember. HTH!