PDA

View Full Version : Infant Bug Spray/Sunscreen

Ms B
04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
DS's daycare has asked parents to send sunscreen and bug spray for use when the children are outside.

DS is almost 8 months old and puts everything in his mouth (toys, clothes, his hands, his feet, my hands, etc.). On top of that, he has been rubbing his cheeks daily, presumably because he is teething (and drooling like a fountain) . . . and then he puts his hands back in his mouth. And hats are not a good option because DS has learned to rip them off in about ten seconds.

I have found good threads on BBB about sunscreen products generally, but I have concerns about what will stay on and be nontoxic if it gets into his mouth. And what about bug spray? Is there even such a thing as non-toxic bug spray?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cost is not a big issue, but easy availability (either B&M or on-line) would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!! :signthankspin:

marymoo86
04-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Badger makes bug spray and sunscreen that would be good. Can find online and I know at Whole Foods for sure.

legaleagle
04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Safemama just posted this year's bug repellent cheat sheet:

http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/bug-repellent/

mikala
04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Badger makes bug spray and sunscreen that would be good. Can find online and I know at Whole Foods for sure.

I was thinking about the Badger balm as well.

Re: sunscreen, I'd steer towards the natural brands on the safemama cheat sheet and beyond that just cross your fingers and dress him in clothes with decent sleeves. The putting everything in his mouth phase should start to taper off a little bit soon.

amldaley
04-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Agree with everything above, but also keep trying the hats...every time you put it on him, look him in the face and coo and tell him how nice it looks and smile and act happy. It takes awhile to "hat train" but eventually (most kids) learn that hat = positive response from Mommy!

Ms B
04-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Safemama just posted this year's bug repellent cheat sheet:

http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/bug-repellent/

I was not familiar with the Safemama site until your post. What a great resource! She definitely has items listed that should work.

Thanks also for the tips on the hats -- we will keep trying on those!!