PDA

View Full Version : Aging parents

DietCokeLover
04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
My parents are visiting. I saw them last at Christmas. I love them dearly, but it is so hard to watch your parents age. It breaks my heart to watch my mother struggle with stairs and the dementia closing in on my dad.

I know it's a part of life, but it just hurts.

larig
04-19-2012, 02:23 PM
hugs. It's so hard.

tribe pride
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. My parents are not quite at that stage yet, so I can only imagine how difficult that must be for you. Your parents are blessed to have a daughter who cares so much about them. Prayers and hugs!

pinay
04-19-2012, 02:30 PM
It is hard. My dad turns 80 later this year and I've definitely noticed a change in his memory, as well as his health. My mom is a bit younger but is actually in worse health than he is, and it's not much fun witnessing their slow declines :(

elektra
04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I can relate. It's not easy, and it can be very sad and cruel. Sorry.

american_mama
04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Yes. My mother has severe multiple sclerosis, and she is shrinking, literally and figuratively, every time I see her. She was in the hospital last week with a UTI and anemia bad enough to warrant two transfusions. They stopped by my house Monday night when they were in town, and I was embarrassed to realize I had not considered the obvious, which is that after her hospital stay, my mom was even weaker and less able to move then usual. My dad is getting more worn down caring for her, and he's not the type to ask for help. A longtime friend of the family, the same age as my parents and caring for her own elderly mother, once said my dad is exactly the type of caregiver who would die of a heart attack while caring for the other person, and I kind of agree. She offered me some practical steps at the time that I only paid dim attention to, but I think I need to get in touch with her again, because my parents are well on their way to needing more help.

On the upside, I look at my parents and do see a life well-lived. There are things I would want to emulate about their old age for me and DH.

lucybabymamma
04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
I am so sorry. :22:
And, thanks for the reminder to enjoy your parents.