PDA

View Full Version : Adult Ficton based in Maine

jacksmomtobe
04-19-2012, 11:16 PM
So I'm creating a raffle basket (to be raffed to parents)to go along with a weekend at a home in Maine. Based on some great suggestions here I've got some snacks from Maine (LL Bean & Stonewall Kitchen), a kids book, and have put it in a lobster trap like thing that I found at the Christmas tree shop today. I was thinking that it might be nice to also add some books that take place in Maine for the parents to read. I would love some suggestions. I thought of one by Anita Shreve but would love some other options.

Thanks!

marie
04-19-2012, 11:21 PM
not a book, but how bout a dvd of "Murder, She Wrote"? :hysterical:

TwinFoxes
04-19-2012, 11:25 PM
"Labor Day" by Joyce Maynard is set in Maine. There's a movie that's supposed to be made starring Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin. It's a quick read, and a good book. Aren't most of Stephen King's books set in Maine? "11/22/63" starts off there.

rlu
04-19-2012, 11:57 PM
not a book, but how bout a dvd of "Murder, She Wrote"? :hysterical:

actually there are books "written" by Jessica Fletcher. I think that would be cute (or the DVD).

khm
04-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Stephen King. ;) Several involve cabins.....

Aishe
04-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Empire Falls by Richard Russo
Cider House Rules by John Irving

If you google "books set in Maine" you'll get a whole bunch of lists.

sariana
04-20-2012, 02:52 AM
My first thought was Stephen King (though I've never read any of his books).

When I think of Maine, I think of lighthouses. Doesn't the movie Pete's Dragon take place in Maine? Could you include a DVD? It's an old movie, but my kids (7 and 4) like it.

Mommy_Mea
04-20-2012, 08:26 AM
"Ruby Red Heart in a Cold Blue Sea" by Morgan Callan Rogers :)

jjordan
04-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Murder with Puffins. I think the author is Barbara something?

ETA: n/m. I looked it up, the author is Donna Andrews. Don't know where I got Barbara!

mumofboys
04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Linda Greenlaw has written a number of books that are fun to read about commercial fishing off of Maine. Ok... that didn't sound nearly as interesting as it really is. l I found "The Hungry Ocean" to be delightfully light and informative. Linda Greenlaw was the captain of the Hannah Boden when the Andrea Gail went down and was featured in the movie, "The Perfect Storm"

boolady
04-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Maine, by J. Courtney Sullivan. I read it last year when it was newish. It's nothing super deep, but typical extended family drama fiction. It was enjoyable...definitely a good beach read. It's in paperback at this point.