PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed

kbud
04-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm so stressed right now. I fell down the stairs yesterday and managed to break 3 bones in my ankle, yes 3! I had surgery today to put in 6 screws. I will be off my feet for 6-8 weeks and then pt after that. It's my driving foot too. We have an 8 and 4 year old. My DH is doing great so far but I know this will be hard on him. My mom is 30 minutes away so they will be very busy.

I'm guess we may contact our HS baby sitter to she if she can help out. DH will be working form home a lot if possible and my mom will be helping also.

I'm just so afraid that this is going to stress everyone out so much. I'm a SAHM basically (I work a pt job from home when I can). The oldest is in school for another month, then it's summer break. The 4 year old is in school 2 mornings a week. I'm trying to take it one day at a time for now but we'll need some serious help though this.

So hit me up on any ideas you have that could help us through this setback so I can start brainstorming a long term plan.

Thanks all! I suspect I'll be on the forum a lot more now that confined to bed/couch!

swissair81
04-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Ouch! Hope you feel better soon! I don't have any good advice, but I wanted to wish you luck.

wellyes
04-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Ouch! I'm sorry.

This will be tough on your husband. But that's just the way it's going to be. Except him to accommodate you as much as you would accommodate him if roles were reversed.

If there is anyone from the preschool you could ask to do drop-off and pickup of your son? If you have email addresses, send out a blast, and offer to pay, and say it's just for a week or two til you get steady on your feet. If I got an email like that, I would happily put another car seat in my car two days a week for a neighbor.

Mermanaid
04-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Ouch, I am so sorry! The first thing that popped into my head was to try and arrange a carpool with other parents at the schools. Or, maybe use one of those kid taxis (if you have them in your area) when you just can't figure anything else out.

kbud
04-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks ladies. Luckily we carpool with a neighbor already and she says she will drive until the school is out. She will even drop my 4 year old off at preschool. My mom can pick her up in the afternoon. So one thing checked off is we have school transportation taken care of...wew, that's a big one.

Thanks for all the support, and yes ouch it is but I can handle that if they are taken care of.

misshollygolightly
04-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Oh dear! Try to take it easy. Definitely seek help from other school parents, neighbors, church friends, people in you mom's group, wherever. At least where I am, folks from my church and mommy group would be lining up meal deliveries and offering to babysit. Maybe also look into a housecleaning service or meal-delivery service to help you get through these rough weeks! Could you hire a mommy;s helper for after your kids are out of school?

mom2one
04-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Oh dear! Try to take it easy. Definitely seek help from other school parents, neighbors, church friends, people in you mom's group, wherever. At least where I am, folks from my church and mommy group would be lining up meal deliveries and offering to babysit. Maybe also look into a housecleaning service or meal-delivery service to help you get through these rough weeks! Could you hire a mommy;s helper for after your kids are out of school?

I like several of these ideas. I would also see if you have a grocery delivery service in your area (like peapod) and maybe one of those companies that also makes meals.
With peapod, you can order what you need online and then they deliver to you. At least that would help with most of the grocery shopping.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!
Susan

baymom
04-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Ouch! Hope you aren't in too much pain! You got some great suggestions already, and I was just going to add that it might be helpful to switch to paper plates/bowls/glasses for a while. I know, not environmentally friendly at all, but it would save your DH a lot of time & work.

kbud
04-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Ouch! Hope you aren't in too much pain! You got some great suggestions already, and I was just going to add that it might be helpful to switch to paper plates/bowls/glasses for a while. I know, not environmentally friendly at all, but it would save your DH a lot of time & work.

Great idea!

I have to laugh. I suggested this to DH and he said he is not drinking out of cups at all anymore. He's hitting the bottle;)

kbud
04-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

I don't think we have any grocery delivery around here but if I can find it I sure will do that. At least I had just stocked up on the essentials earlier this week. The house is a wreck, did I mention we were moving next month that's why the house is torn apart....Luckily we don't have to be out of here quickly. We will just have to delay that.

Tondi G
04-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Oh Man... I'm so sorry! What a nightmare. Glad your DS is still in school for another month... and that you have drop off and pick ups from school worked out! I'm sure it will be stressful for everyone but if it were the reverse, that your DH had broken his ankle you would step up and work it out!

If you have a crock pot.... get some good recipes for that! Make weekly meal plans so you can draw up a shopping list (be sure to write down the brands that you like) and send someone out to do the shopping. Keep in mind too that many grocery stores have those electric chairs with the basket on the front. It makes getting around the store a whole lot easier. Your mom or DH could follow behind you with a regular cart. I hurt my ankle when DS1 was in Kindergarten and DS2 was 18 months. It was interesting trying to get to DS2 on crutches and then out of his crib and get him to follow me (he wanted me to hold him and there was no way). Luckily for me I was only down for a week.

I agree with the PP who suggested maybe finding a cleaning lady ... maybe just once a week to come in and help out.... it'll be worth the expense. She can do floors, bathroom, kitchen, laundry, change the sheets etc.

As far as summer break coming up.... is there any way you could set up a summer camp option for your kids for at least the first 3 or 4 weeks of the summer? Might be the best way to keep them entertained and happy while you recover.

Hopefully you are not in too much pain. Hope these 6 to 8 weeks pass quicker than you think!

MoJo
04-21-2012, 06:26 AM
We have a local independent grocery that will deliver. It's not a service that they advertise, but it's available if you ask. Might be worth a few phone calls to see if any near you do that.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Maggie'sMom
04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Just wanted to give you some encouragement. I went through this about 2 years ago. I broke 2 bones and had to have 2 surgeries and physical therapy. I was bacially bed ridden for 2 months and out of work for 3 months. At the time I had a 2 year old, and my husband works overnights so I had to move in with my inlaws for about 2 months b/c I couldn't be at home alone with DD. My husband stepped up big time, more than I ever thought he would or could. DD also was very helpful--she loved to help Mommy out by bringing me things and she was perfectly content to crawl up in my lap and read books. Even though I was living with the inlaws, several people made meals and dropped them off. It was great for my Mother-in-law to get a small break like that every once in a while.

It will get better.

:grouphug:

MamaMolly
04-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Great idea!

I have to laugh. I suggested this to DH and he said he is not drinking out of cups at all anymore. He's hitting the bottle;)

Awwww! Poor fella! :ROTFLMAO:
You've had wonderful suggestions, so I'll just add my P&PT that you feel better and heal quickly.