PDA

View Full Version : Quick help from Jewish moms re: a craft project

MamaSnoo
04-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi-

DD's school is having a fair this weekend to highlight culteral diversity around the world. There are foods, crafts and games typically. The kids are preschool to middle school age.

I volunteered to do a shift at a craft table, but they were short on help, so it turns out that I am totally in charge of one of the craft tables. My table is to make masks.

I thought I would have 3-4 different sample masks themed on various cultures. I was going to make a sign with a short paragraph about each of the sample masks for the kids to be able to know what the importance and origin of the mask. Then put out the supplies, and let the kids have at it.

I found this site (http://www.hadassah.org/site/c.keJNIWOvElH/b.5802125/k.C6B5/Purim_Mask_Project.htm)with "Purim masks." I am not Jewish, and this is not something I have heard of before. But, I think the masks are really interesting looking. I would like to use some of them and write something brief about Purim.

Is this a well-known/common custom? Is there any controversy? Any chance I might offend? I certainly want to be respectful.

TIA

rkold
04-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi-

DD's school is having a fair this weekend to highlight culteral diversity around the world. There are foods, crafts and games typically. The kids are preschool to middle school age.

I volunteered to do a shift at a craft table, but they were short on help, so it turns out that I am totally in charge of one of the craft tables. My table is to make masks.

I thought I would have 3-4 different sample masks themed on various cultures. I was going to make a sign with a short paragraph about each of the sample masks for the kids to be able to know what the importance and origin of the mask. Then put out the supplies, and let the kids have at it.

I found this site (http://www.hadassah.org/site/c.keJNIWOvElH/b.5802125/k.C6B5/Purim_Mask_Project.htm)with "Purim masks." I am not Jewish, and this is not something I have heard of before. But, I think the masks are really interesting looking. I would like to use some of them and write something brief about Purim.

Is this a well-known/common custom? Is there any controversy? Any chance I might offend? I certainly want to be respectful.

TIA

Someone more observant than me might have a better answer, but someone more observant also won't be on-line until 45 mins from sunset, because it's Shabbat today.

Purim is a very fun Jewish holiday that is usually in late February/March where, like Halloween, people dress in costumes. Some people make or wear masks and others don't. (I don't think I've ever worn a Purim mask, but I have definitely heard of people wearing them.)

Those masks are based off the 5 principal players in the story of Purim. Esther, is the heroine and Jewish. Vashati, is the former queen who helps set part of the story moving and is a non-Jew. Mordecai, is the hero and Esther's uncle and Jewish. Ahasherveros, is the king of Persia, and a non-Jew, and last but not least, Haman is the villain of the story, and wants to kill all the Jews.

The only possible way I can imagine this being offensive is someone complaining about this not being seasonal?? But that's pretty flimsy and I really can't imagine the craft bothering anyone.

If you wanted to see a cute musical summary of some of the storyline and facts about the holiday, I love this
video by the Maccabeats, an Orthodox male singing group (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJInVvJSZg&list=FLvfE9YVJwJ0mnLqMj_8OuQQ&index=59&feature=plpp_video) Completely work safe.

candaceb
04-21-2012, 12:53 PM
My hesitation would be that those masks in particular are more religious than cultural. So if it is a public school especially, it may not be appropriate to make masks based on biblical figures.

MamaSnoo
04-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Thank to you both....excellent point about Shabbat.

It is a private, non-religiously affiliated school and they discuss lots of different faiths and their practices and celebrations throughout the year. I do not think the religious aspect will bother anyone.

Interestingly, most of the masks I have found to model for the kids have some religious or spiritual significance in the cultures they orginate from.

I'll try to get some pics (without kids to protect privacy) from the fair to post after it is done.