PDA

View Full Version : Tips for participating in a multi-family yard sale?

hellokitty
04-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Well, this will be our first time really participating in a multi-family yard sale. My friend and another mutual friend did one together last yr down the street and it was a huge success. I asked if I could join in with them if they did another one this yr and they said, "yes." The sale is coming up the tail end of May. I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips on pricing things out and any other issues that you may have dealt with, with throwing a yard sale and/or doing it with other families (we are all going to bring stuff to my friend's house). I have already told them I will price my stuff in red, so we can keep things straight whose stuff is whose, since throwing an extra person into it will make it trickier to keep track of the $. Do ppl bargain down a lot at garage sales? I'm planning to price most things very reasonably, since most ppl in our area who shop garage sales are super cheap. So, I'm currently in the process before the sale to get rid of bigger things (more expensive) so I don't have to lug it there and so I can try to get more for it.

If you guys have suggestions for pricing items, LMK. I am not going to have any kids clothes for sale, I'm giving those away to ppl I know. We have an entire box of kids books and I was thinking 25 cents each (thrift stores have increased to 50 cents each). I have a ton of smallish toys, if I stick several in a clear baggie and sell it for a buck, do you think ppl will buy a, "goodie bag" of small toys, like they way they do it at goodwill and VOA?

MamaMolly
04-21-2012, 09:22 AM
I think 25 cents a book is good, and if you want to really move them then you might do 25 cents and/or 5/$1.00. Be sure to ask the other sellers what they are pricing stuff at. You don't want to seriously under cut them, or over price yourself.

Describe the little toys. Are we talking Happy Meal kind of stuff? I don't think I'd pay $1 for a baggy of that, but probably 25-50 cents. If it is nicer stuff, then maybe more. How many items in the baggies?

My yard sale tips:
have your money on you in a fanny pack. Get a lot of change in advance. It is so FREAKING annoying when someone buys a 25 cent book with a $20 dollar bill!! But it can happen.

If you have the red prices, wear a red shirt. The other sellers can say 'go ask the lady in red' if someone wants to haggle.

wear sunscreen, drink water. Get a baby sitter, don't bring your kids.

KpbS
04-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Yes, there is a ton of bargaining at garage sales. It can be annoying as the seller! But as long as you know this and you are firm about the price of the non-negotiable items, it should be fine. I like the suggestion of wearing your cash also I would suggest keeping an eye on your phone (maybe in the fanny pack too) as my friend had here stolen at her sale once.

hoodlims
04-22-2012, 01:36 AM
I read recently in an old magazine that you may want to include small things like that (toys and books that aren't worth much) in a box that says, "1 Free with every purchase over x amount." Then keep that box right by check out.

My other advice would be to price EVERYTHING. I once participated in a multi family sale with people who didn't price each individual clothing or shoe item and it was chaos because buyers didn't know who to ask, and I didn't know whose item it was.