PDA

View Full Version : Job hunters, use your LinkedIn!

mom3boys
04-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Since I know some others on this board are applying for jobs, I thought I'd share this experience.

I saw a job on an Internet Job Board like it fit my skills perfectly. So, I submitted an application+my CV+cover letter, all online through the online application process. Heard nothing of course.

A couple weeks later was speaking to a friend who is also job-hunting and she was like "Do you feel when you submit your application online it just disappears into some kind of vortex?" and I was like "Yes" and she reminded me that I should look at my Linked in Contacts (and even 2nd or 3rd connections) first to see if I knew anyone and could maybe submit through a referral.

So, the next week, I see that the job I applied for has been reposted on the Job Board, as in, they didn't contact me but they also haven't filled the position.

I looked in my Linked In Contacts (which I have not actively built up, it's basically just accepting whoever contacts me, if I know them) and lo and behold, I have a contact in the company (It is a huge company)--someone I worked with more than 10 years ago and who's in an entirely different part of the organization. I message him, he's totally willing to send my materials in through a referral. When he tries to refer, the system says they already have my e-mail ([email protected]) since of course I previously applied, but he's able to send it in through my alternate e-mail ([email protected]). I still have to go through the electronic engine I went through before, same questions, submit same CV, virtually same cover letter.

Less than a week after that I got an e-mail saying thanks but no thanks. But it came to my university.edu account so I knew it was from my first application.

Less than a week after THAT, I get an e-mail to my gmail.com account, from an HR person for the company to set up a phone interview. I had the interview yesterday, it went great, as I thought, my skills fit perfectly, and I am speaking to the hiring manager on Mon and then hopefully going in for in-person interview.

So, same job, I submitted same information both times, but doing it blindly I got a rejection, doing it through referral I got an interview. I will definitely be looking at my Linked in first if I find other opportunities!!

momm
04-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Congratulations!!! Hope the job works out for you

I totally agree about LinkedIn. It's a great tool.

katydid1971
04-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Great story!!! Good luck Monday!!!!!